• Swansea (Away)
  • Chelsea (Home)
  • Bournemouth (Home)
  • Man Utd (Away)
  • Southampton (Home)
  • Watford (Away)
  • Newcastle (Home)
  • Arsenal (Away)

Games in bold - I think we can expect to get a result from, but I just can't see us making up 8 points on the rest of the pack.

Ironic thing there is we have a better home record in the last 5 years v Chelsea than Newcastle and we've also won twice at Stoke in the last 3 seasons compared to the zero at Swansea since they came up.

There's no real way of knowing how it will pan out. We will need to get a couple of "rabbit out of hat" results though in the run, results like Spurs away last year which were a bonus three points and set us on our way.

We play Chelsea in early April. They should be safe by then so would like to think they'll concentrate on the FA cup and CL if they're still in it so that game could quite easily be one we get at least a draw from. 

• Like 2

Last season when we started playing better and picking up points all the others did too, like Leicester went renegade and Sunderland and qpr started getting wins. To the extent Newcastle were even dragged into the shite. This season I'm hoping we have another strong run in and everyone else flounders. One of the teams above us is ripe for a 5 game losing streak, alongside Norwich.

Let's say we need 38 points to survive. That would mean we'd need 7W 1D 5L or alternatively 6W 4D 3L. The former is not likely unless Remi suddenly turns into last season's Tim Sherwood, but I think the latter is a very achievable goal considering how hard we've become to beat, especially if we start turning some of our draws into wins. That Norwich game for example is one we would have lost 3 months ago, and drew a month ago. We absolutely have to win that Newcastle game though. Would be nice to beat Bournemouth and Swansea too, but they won't be as easy to catch as Newcastle so it's not as crucial.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Let's say we need 38 points to survive. That would mean we'd need 7W 1D 5L or alternatively 6W 4D 3L. The former is not likely unless Remi suddenly turns into last season's Tim Sherwood, but I think the latter is a very achievable goal considering how hard we've become to beat, especially if we start turning some of our draws into wins. That Norwich game for example is one we would have lost 3 months ago, and drew a month ago. We absolutely have to win that Newcastle game though. Would be nice to beat Bournemouth and Swansea too, but they won't be as easy to catch as Newcastle so it's not as crucial.

Forget 38 points. Apparently 34 is the lowest anyone ever stayed up with, we've got to be hoping for another season like that to give ourselves a chance. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Danwichmann said:

Forget 38 points. Apparently 34 is the lowest anyone ever stayed up with, we've got to be hoping for another season like that to give ourselves a chance. 

Last year it was 36, the year before it was 34. It's usually 35-38 points with the average in the last 10 years being something like 36 I just chose the upper limit to be on the safe side. 36 would be nice though, 5 wins, 5 draws and 3 defeats would be enough. Very doable considering our upturn in form. 

I can't remember a recent season where the magical 40 points was needed to survive. In fact, looking at the stats, the last time 40 points were needed to survive was 2001/2002 when Sunderland had to get 40 to stay up. The way teams are picking up points this season and the relative weakness of the top sides, I think it's going to be 38 points to stay up this time. Actually, we got 38 points in each of the last 2 seasons to survive, so I think it's a good goal.

The one thing that is keeping me positive is that we seem a lot stronger, fitter and harder to beat meaning that we'll go into most games with a chance of getting something.

It'll probably be a bridge too far but its far better that feeling 100% sure we're going down after only a couple of months of the season gone.

• Like 1

The fitness is definitely improving week by week.

Look how hard people like Gana, Gil and Gabby worked against Norwich and West Ham.

We weren't even close to that at the start of the season.

Another thing that gives me hope is how solid we've become defensively. Contrary to popular belief, it's bad defences that send teams down, not poor strikeforces. This makes for interesting reading.

Some people place a lot of emphasis on goalscorers as a means of getting teams out of trouble at the wrong end of the table, but analysis of the goals scored and conceded by the teams in the bottom five at the season’s end over the past 19 campaigns indicates that it is in defence that a team’s priority should lie.

Clubs finishing in 16th place have scored on average 42.3 goals during the season, three more than the side lying immediately below them. But the goals conceded are, on average, essentially the same at 59 and 59.4 respectively.

However, if we look at the goals scored by the teams in 18th place, it can be seen that in fact, at 39.5, they are greater on average than the average total of the side who finished safely above them.

A look at goals conceded, on the other hand, shows a significant difference between the 17th-placed club and the one in 18th. The team that finished immediately above the bottom three conceded on average 59.4 goals, almost four goals fewer on average than the side in 18th. Things get significantly worse in the goals-against column for the bottom two sides, too.

52 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Another thing that gives me hope is how solid we've become defensively. Contrary to popular belief, it's bad defences that send teams down, not poor strikeforces. This makes for interesting reading.

Which is fair, from the start of the season, because 0-0 draws still get you points. Unfortunately we're in a position where 0-0 draws don't help. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Need Sunderland and Norwich to come down with us, Sunderland will be absolutely crippled by it (they are us 4 years ago) and Norwich just belong there.

Need Newcastle to come down, they have no relegation wage clauses so will be financially buggered unless they offload their players

• Like 1

Games in bold - I think we can expect to get a result from, but I just can't see us making up 8 points on the rest of the pack.

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 14:12, juanpabloangel18 said:

There isn't a single game that we can expect to get a result from. We are the worst team in the league.

Edited by villa89

35 minutes ago, villa89 said:

There isn't a single game that we can expect to get a result from. We are the worst team in the league.

No we aren't at the minute. Yes we are bottom but on form we are mid table it doesn't mean anything but saying we are the worst team in the league is stupid. Better teams than Villas have been relegated and worse teams have stayed up. If you've seen WBA of late you'd know that's at least one team we are better than. 

49 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

worse teams have stayed up.

I can't think of any off hand. We are a very poor side who couldn't defend for over half the season and have nobody who can score enough goals to keep us up. 16 points from 25 games, will we get another 14 from the last 13 games to break 30 points?

Edited by villa89

8 wins it is.

We need a few shocks but hey, we're playing well, we're harder to beat than we were and on set pieces we look a danger.

We're going to need to do something like beat Chelsea at home, or Spurs, or United away in this but a few results going our way and this is on

Â