Philippe Senderos

samjp26

As solid as Senderos and the back four look, I can't help but think this is Villa and having not really played anyone yet, it is only a matter of time until the floodgates open. Basically, we're setting a standard that we just will not keep up.

What's that supposed to mean? It's not like we're cursed - if we've got better more experienced players in the defence then it's more likely that we'll ship less goals.

It means that I can't help but think this is Villa, and the chance of any prolonged consistency (based on history) is very slim indeed. I don't think it's a negative way of looking at it. I think it would be very easy to get overly excited about the start the back 4 has made, but I stand by the fact that we haven't really played anybody. Both Stoke's and Newc attacking play was as bad as ours. 

Football is a changing game and prolonged consistency is difficult for most teams to achieve. The fact that "this is Villa" is irrelevant - we're not special.

This new look defence has already bettered last seasons results against the same teams. Thats all we can hope for in the short term really. 

We shipped 6 goals against Stoke last season and 3 goals against Newcastle. 

EDIT: and yes you could say that was 4 games and we've only played 2, well in the equivalent fixtures we conceded 2 against Stoke and 2 against Newcastle. 

Edited by KjParton

If you have a moment, read the first three pages of this thread, then the last three, and be amazed!

could say that about any thread. the Benteke one is the clearest example. People saying he looked no better than Heskey 

• Like 1

If you have a moment, read the first three pages of this thread, then the last three, and be amazed!

could say that about any thread. the Benteke one is the clearest example. People saying he looked no better than Heskey 

What was it somebody said "the next Bosko Balaban"  :crylaugh:

Funny how so many people thought he'd be coming here to be 4th/5th choice CB.

It seems like 95% of the posts are just that he's better back up than Clark / Baker. I don't think I've seen many that said he'd be 5th choice.  There's the odd bizarre one, admittedly:

One of the worst centre backs I have ever seen.

The fact he may be slightly better than Baker is a moot point.

It seems like 95% of the posts are just that he's better back up than Clark / Baker. I don't think I've seen many that said he'd be 5th choice.  There's the odd bizarre one, admittedly:

One of the worst centre backs I have ever seen.

The fact he may be slightly better than Baker is a moot point.

-Thats-a-Lie-how-i-met-your-mother-17452

When the transfer was mentioned I thought he'd be a bit ropey, based on his age, and based on how he'd played in the Fulham defence in the last season or so.

I don't see any harm in having one opinion and then accepting you are wrong when things seem to go the other way.

I'm happy I was wrong as he seems to have gelled really well with Vlaar, and it's nice to not have my heart in my mouth when the opposition attacks (although I still do a little!). Last year we got some great results, although seldom few of these came with a 'performance', but against stoke and to a certain extent (at least defensively) against Newcastle we looked better and Senderos was a big part of that.

I think most thought he'd be 3rd choice behind Okore (which may still turn out to be the case in the long-run).

Edited by Mantis

To be honest, this time last year I'd have given you very long odds that I'd be pleased with a defence containing Senderos and Hutton. After what Baker and Clark served up last season though, I was actually not too disappointed with this one.

My brother-in-law is an Arsenal fan and I asked him what he thought about Senderos and he said inconsistent.

Yes it's what we all know but on his day he's a very good player who has many caps and appearances at major tournaments for his country.

Let's hope AVFC are to benefit from his maturity now and that he shows more consistency.

• Like 1

I love an underdog, and this guy was ridiculed when he signed.

But he's been absolutely brilliant in marshaling that defence, and I'm gutted for them that they've lost their clean sheet for the season - which says a lot in itself.

• Like 3

Didn't think he would be as good as he has been. Loads of other fans (myself included) laughing when we signed him. Hope he continues to shine with Vlaar by his side.

Â