Callum Robinson

sir_gary_cahill

He got a huge ovation when he came on, Southampton must have been thinking we were bringing on the hottest young prospect in world football. He's okay, and I was glad to see him get an appearance, but I'm not sure he's quite up to the standard his welcome suggested.

He's better than ok, I think that's doing him a disservice, he's developed over the past couple of years and he's versatile which will work in his favour, he's nothing on Delfouneso at the same age though, make of that what you will

So what? Luke Moore scored an hattrick at what 19 at Boro and yet for all his faults Gabby has had a much better overall career than him or the Fonz despite not receiving much hype at all as a kid coming through. At Man. United 5 years back Macheda was rated higher than Wellbeck and scored more league goals but who's the regular in the team now.

I feeling Robinson might be similar, he has a solid scoring rate at most levels which is a good sign. Think a loan spell start of next season would be logical.

Served him well though didn't it.

You can't really attribute Delfouneso not living up to potential to him actually being given a chance from a young age can you?

He should've had more opportunities, he was brilliant at 17

and shit at 21

He was mismanaged, he had so much potential, he was the best young striker in the country, I'll never forget how good he was in 08/09

and shit at 21

He was mismanaged, he had so much potential, he was the best young striker in the country, I'll never forget how good he was in 08/09

A lot of young talent doesn't make it, just one of those things. A succession of managers never rated him here. Why do you think that was? I always thought he had 'something' and wouldn't have done any worse than Bowery as a squad player.

09/10 was the one really for the Fonz. He spent pretty much the whole year warming the bench when he should've been sent out on loan especially as we were knocked out of Europe earlier that season so inflated squad wasn't needed.

Then when injuries hit us the next season he suddenly had to start and struggled a bit when some loan time would've done him some good.

09/10 was the one really for the Fonz. He spent pretty much the whole year warming the bench when he should've been sent out on loan especially as we were knocked out of Europe earlier that season so inflated squad wasn't needed.

Then when injuries hit us the next season he suddenly had to start and struggled a bit when some loan time would've done him some good.

Agreed

• Like 1

I am happy for Callum. It is great to see youngsters from the academy given an opportunity when they are performing well in the development team. The ovation was brilliant, it will boost CR's confidence and make him more hungry for success. 

I think the ovation was partly just because it was a chance to see something different to the usual crap. Wasn't too impressed with what I saw in the cameo, but would be harsh to judge him on that.

Edited by Pilchard
  • Like 2

I think the ovation was partly just because it was a chance to see something different to the usual crap.

Me too, I think it was as much for the situation as for the player - I hope so anyway, it's a hell of an expectation to carry otherwise. I think he's a reasonable prospect, but there's a long way to go before he's a player that matches that sort of ovation.

and shit at 21
he was never good in the first team though.

And despite what you say, he had plenty of chances.

His problem is he never took them.

and shit at 21
he was never good in the first team though.

And despite what you say, he had plenty of chances.

His problem is he never took them.

Was just about to say this.

Despite how highly rated he was at youth level, he never did it at senior level. I don't think you can really blame it on being mismanaged as he had plenty of games to impress in, 50 to be exact.

Whenever he played, he seemed to me to be 1 or 2 seconds behind the play. Whenever a ball was played behind the defence he seemed to take a couple of seconds to assess what was happening before he made his run, something he probably got away with at youth level but meant he hardly ever got on the end of those balls in the Premier League.

Anyway, onto Robinson, seemed OK, I'd say start him next week, can't do any worse than Gabby's been doing, so may as well try. Plus he was awesome when I had him on loan at Rotherham in League 1 on Football Manager, so hopefully he can play well enough to become a real life favourite for me, as well as a virtual one :D

He was born in 1995.

2zyigbc.gif

I think he's the first player to play for Villa that is younger than me  :mellow:

Â