Callum Robinson

sir_gary_cahill

He's not as quick as Gabby or as explosive, he is better on the ball and a better finisher than Gabby ever was at that age, so I don't think that comparison stands up.

He works incredibly hard, is a decent dribbler (not full of tricks like Graham) and is very composed in front of goal. It is all about physical strength and opportunities for him, he could go on to be a first team player at Villa but he will struggle with our current tactics unless he bulks up or plays wide.

Edited by AndyClarke
  • Like 2

He's not as quick as Gabby or as explosive, he is better on the ball and a better finisher than Gabby ever was at that age, so I don't think that comparison stands up.

He works incredibly hard, is a decent dribbler (not full of tricks like Graham) and is very composed in front of goal. It is all about physical strength and opportunities for him, he could go on to be a first team player at Villa but he will struggle with our current tactics unless he bulks up or plays wide.

Agree, think he could be used in Weimann's position or Gabby's. Also the Gabby link was not due to style but that sort of level, if that makes sense.

Be interested in your take on this Andy.

I am a big fan of Callum and I genuinely think he has a chance to make it.

However he doesnt have the obvious big weapons that will generally allow you to be a premier league player. Gabby has his pace, Weimann has his intelligent movement, Benteke has his power etc. These weapons arent enough on there own (Andys finishing deserting him being an example) but they allow you to be there.

Callum is a bit of everything, he is quite quick, quite skillful, quite good movement. And good all rounders generally dont become premier league players especially in the attacking positions.

I think his big weapon could be that he is an complete an utter menace for defenders, in the Paul Dickov mode (and I say that as a compliment).

He clearly has more to his game than that but I think this could be the thing allied to his other abilities which allows him to be a Premier League player.

I think anyone who watched the NextGen last year will know what I mean.

Edited by villaglint

Well according to Sid Cowans, this kid has 'a real chance' to make the step up. Not your common or garden player.

Mon said the same about Delfouneso..,

But did Sid? **** MON :)

Gabby came through under the radar while people were going on and on and on about Luke Moore and a few others.

Seems to me this lad could be the same while all the talk is about Carruthers and Grealish (not to say these lads don't deserve chances either).

Be interested in your take on this Andy.

I am a big fan of Callum and I genuinely think he has a chance to make it.

However he doesnt have the obvious big weapons that will generally allow you to be a premier league player. Gabby has his pace, Weimann has his intelligent movement, Benteke has his power etc. These weapons arent enough on there own (Andys finishing deserting him being an example) but they allow you to be there.

Callum is a bit of everything, he is quite quick, quite skillful, quite good movement. And good all rounders generally dont become premier league players especially in the attacking positions.

I think his big weapon could be that he is an complete an utter menace for defenders, in the Paul Dickov mode (and I say that as a compliment).

He clearly has more to his game than that but I think this could be the thing allied to his other abilities which allows him to be a Premier League player.

I think anyone who watched the NextGen last year will know what I mean.

I'd agree that he doesn't have the weapons that other players have which gives them the edge and affords them an opportunity. He is very sharp, by that I mean he is on to things quickly and without being a showboater his dribbling and close control is very good. A Jordan Graham is all about tricks to beat a man, Robinson is not as clever or able in that regard but is efficent in that he can move the ball and is quick enough to get away from his man, this is one of the reasons he is pretty lethal in the box, he gets half a yard and gets a shot away, coupled with his finishing.

I watched him play for the reserves (pre u21) aged 16 or 17 up front on his own, he battled and worked hard all night against more experienced, physically bigger defenders. The kid never gave in and didn't get fed up with backing in to a big defender and trying to get hold of the ball or running in behind. His persistence, work rate along with his predatory instincts, quick feet and finishing ability gives him a great chance if (and it's a big if) he can stay injury free (he's had one big one so far) and be given an opportunity. Like I said before, it will be a brave manager to chuck him in through the middle but he is the sort of lad who'd take his chance.

Edited by AndyClarke
  • Like 1

I havn't seen this boy play, but he does seem to be getting good reports.

My reservation for our academy players coming through,is their physical approach to the Premier league.

you have to win those little battles before you are free to exhibit the skills that got folk talking in the youth leagues

its that physical step up , which is so difficult.

I havn't seen this boy play, but he does seem to be getting good reports.

My reservation for our academy players coming through,is their physical approach to the Premier league.

you have to win those little battles before you are free to exhibit the skills that got folk talking in the youth leagues

its that physical step up , which is so difficult.

Agree with this, good post

Â