FIFA Corruption

islingtonclaret

That is the scenario I want to happen mos as mentioned abovet: Australia raises legal challenge by saying "They bid for a Summer one: do it" and as a result all hell breaks loose.

Mind you, all hell is currently breaking loose anyway. Like BOF, I'm sitting back with the popcorn and laughing as FIFA are destroyed by their own ignorance, greed and utter, utter, utter stupidity.

thing I find funny about this is that reading in World Soccer that Blatter didnt even want Qatar to get the World Cup and most of teh lobbying for it was done by Platini

That is the scenario I want to happen mos as mentioned abovet: Australia raises legal challenge by saying "They bid for a Summer one: do it" and as a result all hell breaks loose.

Mind you, all hell is currently breaking loose anyway. Like BOF, I'm sitting back with the popcorn and laughing as FIFA are destroyed by their own ignorance, greed and utter, utter, utter stupidity.

thing I find funny about this is that reading in World Soccer that Blatter didnt even want Qatar to get the World Cup and most of teh lobbying for it was done by Platini

Yep, and Blatter's been very anti-Winter World Cup as well as far as I know.

The guy's a fool, but seems he might actually be on the right side for this one.

Having experienced 6 summers in the UAE, the heat in the daytime is ridiculous, and it gets pretty damned humid at night (and still hot).

The talk of open-topped air-conditioned stadia is fine, but the sun will still burn everyone to a crisp.  Also, the inability to have an outdoor World Cup village of bars will mean the atmosphere will the shit.  

I went to the 2006 W/C in Germany, going to the England v Paraguay match in Frankfurt, and the nightlife was fantastic.  There is no way indoor bars and events can ever match that. I guess the plethora of hookers in the hotels will be happy though.  ;)

Anyone that's ever taken an airport bus from the plane to the terminal in the Mideast in the summer will know that any mass transport system won't be able to cope.

I cannot see any way that Qatar could be equipped to host the event in the summer.

Shambles

Bribery does work it seems. All the high ranking FIFA delegates have no doubt become far wealthier as a result.

Apparently they have now denied it :D back to being a summer tournament. What a mess!

Quick! Get to the shops. We're gonna need more popcorn.

Would like to get Blatter over here to the Melbourne Open Tennis this week so he can see first hand what a stupid idea the Qatar WC is. Temperatures all week are 40+ degrees (in the shade). So far we've had a Canadian player pass out, several crowd members pass out as well as some ball boys. One player's water bottle melted, and another has burns on their arse from sitting on an uncovered plastic seat! Many players have said it's "inhumane" to make them play in these conditions. 

Qatar of course will be hotter still...

• Like 1

I can see some of the big European countries doing it. There's far too much money in The Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A.. to allow anything to affect it, even a World Cup. If they don't give a break, then I can't see the clubs allowing the players to go. We'll be going to the World Cup with an Under-21 team and a handful of club substitutes. Which is preferable to watching our current England team.

If its a winter tournament, I would love to see the chaos if a big league or two just said no and played on without agreeing to release players.

they would be official FIFA calendar dates so if players dont turn up they be banned from playing for club

Would like to get Blatter over here to the Melbourne Open Tennis this week so he can see first hand what a stupid idea the Qatar WC is. Temperatures all week are 40+ degrees (in the shade). So far we've had a Canadian player pass out, several crowd members pass out as well as some ball boys. One player's water bottle melted, and another has burns on their arse from sitting on an uncovered plastic seat! Many players have said it's "inhumane" to make them play in these conditions. 

Qatar of course will be hotter still...

To be fair to Blatter, he's not really been a supporter of the Qatar World Cup I don't think.

I wonder what the over/under on player deaths will be?

zero just like Mexico 1970 or 1986 when conditions were just as warm and players were not as professional or as medically aware

What were the temperatures like in those World Cups? (genuine question)

Last year the average temperatures for June, July and August in Qatar were between 40 and 42 celsius.

Having been in Morocco previously when it's been 39/40 degrees, the last thing I'd have wanted to do was sport. I consider myself a fairly active and fit guy but it would have been torture! :D

Agree.

Was in Egypt late 2012 when the temperatures were knocking around 40 degrees. You couldn't sit out in the sun, never mind play football in it. You quite literally HAD to be in shade, with a drink and ideally your feet in the pool. Playing any sort of sport would be unimaginable.

it hit around 40 during usa 94 and at times during japan didnt it?

im also sure that at the one world cup recently (im thinking germany) they didnt water the pitches and the players were all moaning about blistering feet

when do we start the discussions about the stadiums not being ready in time?

in 86 im not sure the conditions but the games were played at 12pm mexican time in the hottest part of day to cater for European audiences plus the altitude involved wouldnt help

It would not be the first time that a World Cup would be hosted in an area where temperatures can soar. In the 1994 World Cup in the United States saw temperatures reach as high as 45 degrees Celsius, while both World Cups in Mexico, in 1970 and 1986, saw temperatures consistently over 30 degrees, with matches also being played at high altitudes.

Â