FIFA Corruption

islingtonclaret

but them stadiums are going to being moved after World Cup to other countries

Building stadiums they don't even plan to use afterwards.

Ridiculous.

they will be used in countries that cant afford them

Countries that voted for them. What is it called when you give something to someone in exchange for votes...anyone?

A conspiracy theory? ;)

The Guardian investigation claims:

• At least 44 workers died between 4 June and 8 August because of heart-related issues or workplace accidents
  • The paper also says there is some evidence of forced labour on a major World Cup infrastructure project
  • Nepalese men claim they have not been paid for months, with salaries retained and passports confiscated to limit their movements
  • Access to free drinking water on construction sites has apparently been denied on some occasions

Disgusting

Edited by Tamuff_Villa

Was just about to quote similar reports, but this sort of thing has been going on in the Arab nations for years, Reports abound of Indian workers enduring similar fates when working in Saudi Arabia and Dubai. I actually worked with an Indian guy when I was in Austrlalia and we became good friends, still in contact with him, He had worked in Saudi Arabia when he was a young man, and his accounts tended to back up the reports of the treatment of foreign workers by Arab Nations.,

Edited by mockingbird_franklin

This is definitely not news to FIFA. This slave/migrant labour is pretty ubiquitous in that region. What they're concerned about is that the global media have chosen to make it a news story at this time... Maybe it's their parachute out of the Qatar having the games because they're getting such unbelievable stick over it. Or maybe it's just another speed bump and FIFA will continue along their line of not caring what fans and pretty much everyone involved in the sport, or even with a passing interest in the sport think about having the games in Qatar. It's such a shamelessly corrupt decision, it's quite laughable. Makes my blood boil that something like this can be bought by a country that pays its way with dodgy dealings and slave labour, but I'm not surprised.

Footballers are not allowed to have an opinion on anything. When was the last time you heard one talk about something which was not about the game they just finished or the game they are about to play? Even then they work very, very hard not to be in any way controversial.

Edited by Tamuff_Villa

It just gets messier and messier for FIFA. I love it. I hope there's a massive fallout from this world cup. I want to see controversy after controversy because I enjoy watching them wash their hands of stuff, plead ignorance on other stuff and generally stick it into reverse when the going gets tough. Large parts of this world are a toilet and the rich exploit it. That's what's happening here. FIFA and the rulers in Qatar knows exactly what is going on in that country in order to get things up and running. Not for the first time, it's left to the Guardian to do some investigative journalism and bring it to focus for the rest of the world. Watch the teflon tosser in FIFA come out of this unscathed with his smug smirk intact.

• Like 3

It's repulsive playing in stadiums where tens of enslaved labourers have died.

Unlike owning a mobile phone or laptop, or pretty much anything manufactured outside of Europe/America.

The working conditions either directly kill people, or lead to them taking their own lives, and it's shitty. But to be fair, it leads to things I really like being quite cheap.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

Davkaus assuming for a sec that your post wasn't tongue in cheek :) ... there's a difference between the issue of differing labour costs from one part of the world to the other and the confiscation of passports and the denial of water or food to people doing manual labour for 12 hours a day in 40 degree heat.

• Like 2

maybe not popular but I like Sepp Blatter  :blush: he is crafty, out of touch, corrupt, sexist, nasty little power mad dictator but always a little bit funny he gets away with all his ridiculous ideas and comments that he has kept power all that long. would even saw i respect him for it

I honestly don't think I'll watch a winter world cup out of principle. It's not a massive sacrifice either on my part. International football doesn't really hit the spot. But it'll be my little protest and hopefully there'll be plenty more like me.

I honestly don't think I'll watch a winter world cup out of principle. It's not a massive sacrifice either on my part. International football doesn't really hit the spot. But it'll be my little protest and hopefully there'll be plenty more like me.

To be honest I doubt I'll watch a 'summer' world cup Qatar, out of principle.

Â