FIFA Corruption

islingtonclaret

Yeeeears ago when I did Sports Science I remember doing a piece of work about the average amount of time different athletes spent running during their sport. Tennis IIRC was the lowest, its a tiny percentage of the actual time they are competing.

(for info I believe basketball came out on top).

Edited by Tamuff_Villa

Also that antelope quote is bizzare. Is he really the head doctor?

Is he basing his medical judgement on people running around thousands of years ago?

That seems very strange.  

I'm still holding out hope that the tournament will be moved somewhere else between now and 2022. Absolute shambles that Qatar was even chosen in the first place, especially when you consider that the US, Australia and Japan & South Korea would all be very well equipped to host it.

Edited by Mantis

It's probably worth mentioning that the recorded temperatures (here in the UAE at least) in the summer very rarely match the temperatures shown in my car dashboard or on my phone - which in the summer consistently go up to 48 degrees.

I think there's some law about being able to work outdoors if recorded temperatures exceed 45 degrees.  Oddly enough there's of lot of 44 degree days in the summer.  :detect:

• Like 1

FIFA should take note of what's happening at the Australian Open right now. Even the ball boys are collapsing with heatstroke. 

I wish all the federations would boycott the Qatar idiocy and demand a switch of hosts.

Me too, but realistically it is not going to happen. UEFA would be the guys you would hope would be leading the boycott because of the disruption to the European season but how much Qatari money is tied up in European club football?  Qatar owns PSG, they are the major sponsor of Barcelona. Al Jazeera spend hundreds of millions on TV deals for major European leagues (including the Premier League) so the people who might want to boycott the competition would be biting the hand which feeds them should they choose to do it.  

It's probably worth mentioning that the recorded temperatures (here in the UAE at least) in the summer very rarely match the temperatures shown in my car dashboard or on my phone - which in the summer consistently go up to 48 degrees.

I think there's some law about being able to work outdoors if recorded temperatures exceed 45 degrees.  Oddly enough there's of lot of 44 degree days in the summer.  :detect:

Qatar has the same type of law but being the humanitarians they are the limit for working outdoors is 50c. As you say, when I was there it was far from unusual for the temperature to approach and exceed that but it never hit 50c officially. Can't have those bone idle sub-continentals and asians slacking off from their 12 hour, 6 day working weeks now, can we? Give 'em an inch and they'll be expecting basic human rights next.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

More than 500 Indian migrant workers have died in Qatar since January 2012, revealing for the first time the shocking scale of death toll among those building the infrastructure for the 2022 World Cup.

Official figures confirmed by the Indian embassy in Doha reveal that 237 Indians working in Qatar died in 2012 and 241 in 2013. A further 24 Indians have died in January 2014.

These come after the Guardian revealed last month that 185 Nepalese workers had died in Qatar in 2013, taking the total from that country to at least 382 over two years.

Guardian

The real question is, does anyone give a **** enough to do anything about it?

That article is highlighting the shocking working conditions in the middle east but it is being a bit sly by letting the reader think those deaths were caused by FIFA.

Shouldn't have chosen a country that would seek cheap labour in appalling working conditions with a need for about 12 new stadiums then.

• Like 2

That article is highlighting the shocking working conditions in the middle east but it is being a bit sly by letting the reader think those deaths were caused by FIFA.

Shouldn't have chosen a country that would seek cheap labour in appalling working conditions with a need for about 12 new stadiums then.

The other side of that coin says that this topic would not be discussed at all if it wasn't for FIFA picking that region.  

The best we can hope for is that FIFA will build their stadiums to a higher health and safety standard than the current construction projects in the country and that all this publicity improves the industry over there for the long term, well after the WC has been and gone.

It wouldn't be discussed because the stadia wouldn't be getting built!

These workers arnt dying because of FIFA stadiums. The stadiums haven't started yet. These people are dying on normal construction projects in Qatar which have nothing to do with the World Cup.

What I am saying is that their deaths are now being discussed because FIFA is about to start building in a country with a record for killing workers, the issue would not have been discussed if FIFA had not given Qatar the WC.

EDIT: In fact that article doesn't just count the number of deaths in construction across Qatar, it is listing every Indian who has died in the country since 2010. That is not a particularly useful statistic for this discussion.

Edited by LondonLax

Â