FIFA Corruption

islingtonclaret

Ah yeah, Australia, that great footballing nation, really deserved it.

This comment really makes no sense when you put into context the fact that Qatar were awarded it instead.

i think his point is that people are criticizing Qatar for not being a footballing nation then suggesting give to Australia

Ah yeah, Australia, that great footballing nation, really deserved it.

This comment really makes no sense when you put into context the fact that Qatar were awarded it instead.

i think his point is that people are criticizing Qatar for not being a footballing nation then suggesting give to Australia

While Australia may not exactly be a super power in world football, you cannot compare them to Qatar. One is a nation that competes on the world stage on a semi-regular basis, the other is a complete non entity.

Edited by Shillzz
  • Like 2

That argument kind of plays in to FIFA's hands, I think part of their justification in awarding it to Qatar is to promote the game in the region and stimulate the interest in the game (no i don't believe it either but I'm sure they'd say that was a big part of the decision making process).

That argument kind of plays in to FIFA's hands, I think part of their justification in awarding it to Qatar is to promote the game in the region and stimulate the interest in the game (no i don't believe it either but I'm sure they'd say that was a big part of the decision making process).

And they have history there.

The US would not be where they are in world football absent '94 (though qualifying for '90 was proximately due to Mexican ineligibility, that the US put in a serious effort is down to being awarded the Cup). Arguably the same can be said with respect to Korea and Japan after '02.

Australia can't decide what code "football" refers to...

Sheikh Mohammed bin Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani. Relative of the bloke who's the uber-rich Qatari chairman of Malaga ain't he? The one who complained about corruption and bias in the champions league after Dortmund knocked them out.

What makes a 'footballing nation' though? Surely football being the most popular sport amongst the Qatari people renders Qatar one?

To me it's one of those generic tags that doesn't actually mean anything, like the whole "big club" thing.

What makes a 'footballing nation' though? Surely football being the most popular sport amongst the Qatari people renders Qatar one?

To me it's one of those generic tags that doesn't actually mean anything, like the whole "big club" thing.

I've always thought it just basically meant any nation where football is the main sport.

A nation that has actually qualified for a World Cup.

Qatar have never qualified.

Australia have on more than one occasion.

Edited by TRS-T

While i'm not really sure what being a "footballing nation" means, football being our 4th biggest sport doesn't mean it's not popular over here. The other football codes have just been established a lot longer. It has the highest junior participation of any sport in Australia.

In any case, we have reasonably sized stadiums (especially post upgrades) and every game would undoubtedly sell out. What else do you need? 

What else do you need? 

The bidding process to be open and transparent, those voting to be honest and beyond personal or federation brides, the people voting to actually consider the merits of the bids rather than which stamp they need in their passport. The fans and the players to be considered and generally speaking a less corrupt, self serving and insidious world governing body of the sport.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Â