FIFA Corruption

islingtonclaret

btw 86 is often regarded as one of best World Cups due to the conditions as it allowed good football to be played as the weather was too much teams that couldnt really pass the ball

Your defence of FIFA's greed and corruption is very weak.

The opposition to Qatar isn't just English bitterness at not getting 2018.

In fairness, the weather conditions pale into insignificance when you consider the human rights abuses witnessed in the country, many carried out for the specific purpose of hosting the tournament.

I think you'll find that FIFA's policy is not to witness it :P
  • Like 1

Out of sight...

There's a cracking Guardian article, undoubtedly already linked in this very thread, that discusses this issue at length. We really shouldn't be discussing the weather when there are much bigger issues to be considered.

In fairness, the weather conditions pale into insignificance when you consider the human rights abuses witnessed in the country, many carried out for the specific purpose of hosting the tournament.

I think you'll find that FIFA's policy is not to witness it :P

its FIFAs policy to make changes isnt it? 

the power of football, its single handedly made South Africa a better place, stopped all crime in Brazil (er...)  and will change Russia and Qatar forever (forever being somewhere between 4 weeks and until the last journo leaves)

i seriously believe that too, take away any suggestion of corruption, sepp blatter doesnt want to land at heathrow and drive on the M4 or whatever to wembley, he wants to land at a new airport drive on a new road to a new stadium, just so he can say we did all this, its bollocks, the fact that the airport, road and stadium wont be needed once FIFA go is neither here nor there, the idea of Nizhny Novgorod getting a new stadium and airport is a far more appealing prospect than England proudly boasting that we could host a world cup tomorrow, Qatar is FIFAs dream location, everything will be new, for 4 weeks football will revolutionise the country, and it'll create new marketing opportunities which like i said, take away the suggestion of corruption, it will legitimately make them a shit load of money

Yup. But remember these guys get a break every 10 minutes to take on liquids, sit in the shade and wear ice packs. 

45 minutes out in the heat, running around without a break will be so brutal.

Not saying it's unsafe or anything (although I can't see how it isn't), but I'm just imagining having to do it myself and it makes me feel sick, haha!

not sure the distance a tennis player would run in a game but i think footballers do about 10 or 11km

there is no medial reason why players should not be able to cope with the conditions and he goes on to state that thousands of years ago our ancestors were chasing antelopes for days "in the high plains of Africa".

quote from the head doctor

Those tennis players are elite athletes and are struggling big time.

In a weird, almost morbid, way... I do actually want the world cup to go ahead in these temperatures. It would be interesting for sure.

It's also strange how much attention a world cup 8 years away is getting, when we've got 2 before then.

• Like 1

not sure the distance a tennis player would run in a game but i think footballers do about 10 or 11km

there is no medial reason why players should not be able to cope with the conditions and he goes on to state that thousands of years ago our ancestors were chasing antelopes for days "in the high plains of Africa".

quote from the head doctor

Averages here 

Football more than double tennis on average

• Like 1

I think tennis is worse as there's nowhere to hide during the game so you can't stroll around like Berbatov. That doctor must be taking the piss about the antelope.

but in tennis you're playing for 10 minutes and then sitting down for a bit, in the shade, with water and ice and fans to keep you cool

plus you wear a cap when you're out there

I'm not saying it's not demanding, of course it is.

But football is 45 minutes of solid running basically. Strolling around or not, you're still working.

Those stats above that footballers cover double the distance in an average match compared to a tennis player says it all, when you consider tennis matches are often much much longer than a football match.

Â