Libor Kozák

samjp26

To be honest, I don't think Villa is the right place for him. I actually really like him, and he'll certainly score a few goals - more than gabby and weimann - because he's pretty good overall, but I just don't see him being an ideal fit for benteke's partner, or to play as a lone striker, or to play with Gabby or Weimann.

In the ideal world, instead of Kozak we needed, and still need: A. a striker who can create his own chances, like JPA at his best, who can play in place of Benteke, and B. someone who is a good fit to play with Benteke: quick, makes runs, finishes well, gets back and helps in defense. At their best, Agbonlahor and Weimann can sort of meet the latter category (of courses, aren't there now), but I just don't think Kozak is what we need unless we change the way we play.

Edited by bojong
  • Like 1

Technically its 4 in 12 games. I agree he's got potential to score important goals for us.

He started 8 and came on as a sub in 6 so technically he has 4 in 14 but if you take his total minutes (782) and divide that by 90, it works out at 4 goals in 8.6 games.

Technically its 4 in 12 games. I agree he's got potential to score important goals for us.

He started 8 and came on as a sub in 6 so technically he has 4 in 14 but if you take his total minutes (782) and divide that by 90, it works out at 4 goals in 8.6 games.

I think that's misleading then.

Minutes to goals is a good stat to use but converting that to games makes no sense.

Minutes to goals is a good stat to use but converting that to games makes no sense.

Apart from the fact that it's much easier to digest, of course...

I truly believe he will become a bit of a cult hero for us.

Yeah I can see that but they aren't always for the right reasons. Makoun was a bit of a cult hero when he joined.

You don't really say too many positive things do you?

Hence the name.

But then a goals to games stat exists, creating your own one from a different set of stats seems pretty useless. In what you class as 8 games he's actually played against 14 different teams in 14 different games.

But then a goals to games stat exists, creating your own one from a different set of stats seems pretty useless. In what you class as 8 games he's actually played against 14 different teams in 14 different games.

It's not really that useless as it demonstrates a different point.

You could have a striker come on for the final 5 minutes in 10 games and score 2 goals.  He'd have scored 2 in 10 games, but also have a strike rate of one goal every 25 minutes.

• Like 1

It's not really that useless as it demonstrates a different point.

You could have a striker come on for the final 5 minutes in 10 games and score 2 goals. He'd have scored 2 in 10 games, but also have a strike rate of one goal every 25 minutes.

Yes, that's why both stats are good to look at. I just didn't see what converting minutes to games shows when you have stats like those.

Ok then, he has scored a goal every 196 minutes for us. Benteke has scored a goal every 170 minutes.

I wasn't trying to have a go at him. He's goal scoring stat for us is good.

I like Kozak, he'll get us goals and is much more of a goal threat than Andi and Gabby are right now. If we played with a good AM who could create more chances for us, Libor could get a fair few goals this season.

Strange how he's good at attacking a ball in the box but useless at winning a ball to flick on. He will chip in and help us when he's back, he's not good enough to start every game at this level but he's a very useful addition to the squad.

I don't think that's strange. He was coming from a different league and was tentative coming up against defenders, uncertain if he should challenge in the air or not, but he often won fouls that way because CB's would climb over him to win the header. I think he was just starting to find his feet in this league when his injury happened. I'm looking forward to having him back but worry that he will have another settling in period when he comes back.

Kozak and Benteke didn't really work as a front two the times it was tried out, Benteke likes pace and mobility around him which can drag defenders away from him.

Kozak will be a good option for us off the bench and to start v the physical teams though so hope he's back soon.

I am not opposed to playing a 5-3-2 at some point to accommodate both him and Benteke. Because let's be honest, we don't have much in the way of wingers anyway, Weimann and Gabby aren't the greatest players on the best of days and putting them wide makes them worse. I know the majority don't like it, but 5-3-2 would get even more out of Cissokho and Hutton, it allows us to play with 2 and still keep the midfield 3. 

Prefer the 4-5-1 formation we used at Stoke.

Back 4 tuck in when defending and hit the flanks going forward. That way, the majority of our wide defensive work is done in midfield, rather than having our fullbacks exposed when bombing forward in a 5-3-2 formation.

Â