Manchester United

BOF

27 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

My prediction was that OGS would get exposed as a Tim Sherwood type, looks like I'm on for that.

They lost to Barcelona ffs :D

Nobody should have had any illusions that the current Manchester United squad was going to be on Barcelona's level.

OGS has got them in a position where they are in with a good chance of qualifying for next season's CL, which looked like it was a long shot when Mourinho was sacked. If anything he's a victim of his own moderate success that he's got them looking like a decent time again so people's expectations were raised. BArce are clearly on another level to this season's Man United.

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

My prediction was that OGS would get exposed as a Tim Sherwood type, looks like I'm on for that.

err no your not. The squad he has is awful and needs a complete overhaul. He's done very well with them so far. Barcelona were always going to destroy them and it didn't help that Ashley young and De Gea gifted messi two goals.  

Agreed.  That squad needs an overhaul.  To continually blame whatever manager is in charge without changing the personnel is ridiculous.  OGS's tactics have been spot on.  He had a honeymoon yes, where everything worked, but that papered over the cracks.  Someone pointed out that 4 of their back 5 against Barcelona started 8 years ago against Basel.  The manager is not the problem.  He has definitely put a spring back into United's step.  The problem which has been there for a long time is he still has the same numpties carrying out his instructions.  His problem is you can't buy a whole team in one transfer window, so he needs to find a balance in the summer, otherwise they risk doing a Spurs after the Bale money splurge where it took them 2 years to recover.

as soon as Pogba and Raiola decided that a move in the summer would be good for their bank accounts after all his performances dropped back to 70%.

He is a fantastic player, but only when he want's to be.

OGS has done fairly well overall, although it does feel like the honeymoon period is over. That’s not on the back of the Barca game, it felt like it was over before last night. Five defeats in the last seven games now, and I think most would agree the wins against Watford and West Ham were a bit on the lucky side*.

Like I say, OGS has done well, I just feel that the decision to appoint him was a bit rushed, like the club are desperately trying to find an “identity” as quickly as possible. It wouldn’t surprise me if this doesn’t work out.

As for the squad overhaul, it’ll be interesting to see how much they throw at it this time. Another £200m?

*incidentally there wasn’t much made of Pogba’s acrobatic clearance that nearly took off Snodgrass’ head in the West Ham game. Not even a booking.

• Like 1

Yeah hiring Ole long term will turn out a mistake.

He's not terrible, but you need world class to compete with the best and be where Manure want's to be.

He was a terrific stop gap appointment thou. Should have settled for that.

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Nobody are praising Barca for some weird reason. They are still quite bloody good at this football stuff. Barcelona Ajax in the final would be a tribute to the game. 

They are fantastic.

They are also the most vile and hypocritical club in the world and has the most obnoxious and entitled fans in the world. Yes even worse than Plop.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sne said:

They are fantastic.

They are also the most vile and hypocritical club in the world and has the most obnoxious and entitled fans in the world. Yes even worse than Plop.

I think entitled goes to Real.  They were hounding Ronnie out of the club at points because his strike rate was dropping below 1 in 1.  Yes they're used to winning, but **** me they're obnoxiously arrogant when they don't win.  That is NOT to say Barça are angels.  Far from it.  But Real fans for me are a different level.

• Like 1

Just now, BOF said:

I think entitled goes to Real.  They were hounding Ronnie out of the club at points because his strike rate was dropping below 1 in 1.  Yes they're used to winning, but **** me they're obnoxiously arrogant when they don't win.  That is NOT to say Barça are angels.  Far from it.  But Real fans for me are a different level.

They are really bad, but for me it's the other way round Barcelona have the worst fans by far.

And the Swedish Barcelona fans that have sprouted up like locust in the last 15 years are beyond anything you could imagine.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Yeah hiring Ole long term will turn out a mistake.

I don't disagree with that.

But until he starts flailing around on the touchline like someone who's just discovered he has arms, and having a mental breakdown in press conferences, I think it's harsh to compare him with Captain Bellend!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Their players look just as uninterested as they did under Mourinho.

I think OGS made 2 big mistakes this game. Leaving out McTominay who's played very well for Matic who has been poor in his last games. Doesn't seem to trust or willing to gamble on youth.

Also playing his best cb at right back is another rookie mistake, you just don't do that.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

I think OGS made 2 big mistakes this game. Leaving out McTominay who's played very well for Matic who has been poor in his last games. Doesn't seem to trust or willing to gamble on youth.

Also playing his best cb at right back is another rookie mistake, you just don't do that.

He threw on 2 kids vs PSG when needed a goal and started a 19 year old today

Just now, Zatman said:

He threw on 2 kids vs PSG when needed a goal and started a 19 year old today

He's apparently pushing for the club to bring forward more young English players from the academy to the first team as well.

To the point that has become a split with the Spanish speaking players. Or so the rumor goes anyway.

Â