Manchester United

BOF

1 hour ago, osmark86 said:

I think howler is a bit unfair as it rained like mad and the ball spun harder than Buffon anticipated. Was probably harder to read than it looked. 

It absolutely was a total howler. Buffon has been living off his reputation for a good few years now.

It's been amazing how OGS has done but to be fair he has had the luck. PSG should have battered them over the two legs and Spurs should have beaten them at Wembley too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

They had a midfield of McTominay, Fred and Pereira vs one of the top teams in Europe away. Finished the game with 3 teenagers 

Not far off one of best results ever by an English team in Europe

But let's not forget psg we're missing cavani and neymar in both legs. If united had lukaku and rashford injured united would have had no chance. 

5 hours ago, bobzy said:

Defensive error, goalkeeping howler, incorrect penalty decision.

"Greatest result ever".

In terms of result I would say it's one of best ones by English club away in last 10 years unless I'm missing obvious ones.

Have to look at who they had out there. At 1-2 and still needing another goal they put on two academy players for their european debuts. That's all they had on the bench for attacking options.

They had McTominay and Pereria anchoring the midfield against all of PSG quality in midfield. Personally I was expecting this to be PSG 3-0/3-1 no problem.

To put it in context it would be like us playing Leeds over two legs in the play offs, losing 0-2 at home with our first choice team then losing 5/6 to injury and having someone like Grealish suspended and winning the second leg 1-3 with likes of O'Hare and Hepburn Murphy playing.

Would we all not be going slightly bonkers on here if that very unlikely scenario happened? It sort of did last night so have no issue with Man. United going on about it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villa89 said:

It absolutely was a total howler. Buffon has been living off his reputation for a good few years now.

It's been amazing how OGS has done but to be fair he has had the luck. PSG should have battered them over the two legs and Spurs should have beaten them at Wembley too. 

I watched that game and PSG dominated the possession but they actually didn't create many chances in that game.

I can't remember De Gea having very much to do, i can remember him making 1 or 2 saves all game.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But let's not forget psg we're missing cavani and neymar in both legs. If united had lukaku and rashford injured united would have had no chance. 

Had Martial, Lingard (both went out in first leg when it was 0-0) and also Mata and Alexis out so they really had no attacking options on the bench. Also Pogba in beast form. Don't think Rashford is actually 100% fit atm btw,.

PSG had Cavani on the bench (he came on straight after the 3rd went) so would say no comparison whatsoever seeing as they still had Mbappe, Di Maria, Draxler, Dani Alves and Verrati all out there.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Had Martial, Lingard (both went out in first leg when it was 0-0) and also Mata and Alexis out so they really had no attacking options on the bench. Also Pogba in beast form. Don't think Rashford is actually 100% fit atm btw,.

PSG had Cavani on the bench (he came on straight after the 3rd went) so would say no comparison whatsoever seeing as they still had Mbappe, Di Maria, Draxler, Dani Alves and Verrati all out there.

Sanchez and mata? You can't compare them to neymar and cavani same with lingard. Martial maybe and pigs byf the others are average united players. 

Alves is a old man 

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Sanchez and mata? You can't compare them to neymar and cavani same with lingard. Martial maybe and pigs byf the others are average united players. 

Alves is a old man 

Maybe not (Alexis has been shocking last 18 months) but they are still attacking options who can be useful if you need to overturn two goal reverse (Mata scored at Juventus in the groups didn't he and Lingard pops up in cup finals to score for them).

PSG won at Old Trafford comfortably without Neymar and Cavani. They had more than enough out there to get the job done last night.

45 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

This is who they had out for the game.

Jones, Matic, Herrera, Martial, Mata, Lingard, Valencia, Pogba, Sanchez

Imagine if we had that many out. Circumstances, taken into account it's simply a extraordinary result.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

In terms of result I would say it's one of best ones by English club away in last 10 years unless I'm missing obvious ones.

Have to look at who they had out there. At 1-2 and still needing another goal they put on two academy players for their european debuts. That's all they had on the bench for attacking options.

They had McTominay and Pereria anchoring the midfield against all of PSG quality in midfield. Personally I was expecting this to be PSG 3-0/3-1 no problem.

To put it in context it would be like us playing Leeds over two legs in the play offs, losing 0-2 at home with our first choice team then losing 5/6 to injury and having someone like Grealish suspended and winning the second leg 1-3 with likes of O'Hare and Hepburn Murphy playing.

Would we all not be going slightly bonkers on here if that very unlikely scenario happened? It sort of did last night so have no issue with Man. United going on about it.

I think this over eggs it somewhat, to be honest.  They created basically nothing, had basically none of the ball, benefited from 2 massive defensive errors and a dubious-at-best 93rd minute penalty decision to grab victory (although fair play to Rashford's bottle there).

This wasn't some minnow Premier League team playing against one of the World's best - it was two very expensively assembled sides playing against each other.  Andreas Pereira may well be relatively unknown here, but he's a player that has clocked up 60 or so La Liga games (last season playing for Valencia who finished 4th), has been capped by Brazil and now looks to be cementing his name in Man Utd's first eleven.  He's obviously a talent.

It's a great result and certainly unexpected, but let's not go crazy here.  Ajax dismantling - and actually outperforming in every department - Real Madrid is far, far, far more impressive.

• Like 2

First time in my life I celebrated a United goal with that penalty last night.

Like most, I grew up 'hating' Man United, they won everything and despite growing up 200 miles from Manchester everyone in my school was a United fan, or so it seemed.

Over time I grew to respect Ferguson, if not like him and whilst still not being fond of United I grew to admire them as a team/club too.

I think this is a new United, they've had to show a bit of humility over the last few years and it has at least taken their fans down a peg. It's hard to dislike OGS and he is bringing back that culture of giving young players a chance which is always well received and perceived.

Last night was a great result, considering the players they had missing and considering that they ended the game with genuine 'kids' on the pitch.

I'd rather see United do well than Citeh, Liverpool or Chelsea.

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

One of the best results by an English club ever I think, except PSG have no real pedigree in the competition.  We could have 4 English clubs in the last 8 of the champions league. That must be a first? Hats off to OGS hes certain to get the job permantely now. The luck has gone his way, but he's been a breath of fresh air. 

Just seen this. Totally shocking.

Man Utd Stabbed in Paris by Taxi Driver!

A Manchester United fan is having emergency surgery in Paris after being stabbed in the chest by a taxi driver following Wednesday night's Champions League match.

The 44-year-old was travelling back to the city centre after the game with three other supporters when the driver took offence to them singing in celebration of United's dramatic late winner.

Sky Sports News has been told the driver pulled over to get them out of his taxi, before pulling out a knife and threatening the female passenger in the group. The victim tried to intervene to protect her, but the driver then turned the knife on him, stabbing him in the chest with what's been described as 'a large blade'.

He was left lying on the pavement fighting for his life, when one of the group was able to flag down a passing car and rush him to hospital.

The United fan was taken straight to the High Dependency Unit at the Hopital Europeen Georges-Pompidou - and underwent on Thursday afternoon to remove blood on his lung.

Sky Sports News has also been told that French Police arrested a suspect at lunchtime today in connection with the attack, but that the weapon itself is yet to be found.

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

I also think Neymar is not injured at all, i have seen videos of him online in Brazil and he is moving quite well for an injured man

Wasn't there some stat that for last 4 years when Rio carnival is on he's always been "injured"

7 hours ago, PaulC said:

We could have 4 English clubs in the last 8 of the champions league. That must be a first?

Nope.

In 2007/8 Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool all there, and 3 of them made the semis.

In 2006/7 there was 3 in the last 4 as well.

2008/9 Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool all there again, and once more 3 made the last 4.

12 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Wasn't there some stat that for last 4 years when Rio carnival is on he's always been "injured"

Seems to be a common theme with Neymar. In fairness he isnt 1st Brazilian to be absent around this time

Â