Manchester United

BOF

By that logic you're saying any player that didn't originate from the Premier League is probably not going to be good enough - unless they happened to start their career at Juventus, Milan, Madrid, Barca, Bayern, etc. 99% of players play for a not-top-tier club at some point.

Edited by kurtsimonw

I've not openly admitted to trolling. I think I said that sometimes one can contribute a reasonable point to a discussion in an unnecessarily lively fashion. Sometimes I get carried away and do that but it's not trolling. It's over-excitedness.

By that logic you're saying any player that didn't originate from the Premier League is probably not going to be good enough - unless they happened to start their career at Juventus, Milan, Madrid, Barca, Bayern, etc. 99% of players play for a not-top-tier club at some point.

I didn't say that at all. I'm saying it's higher risk. That is why the top four don't usually buy experienced players from outside of the top leagues.

2014 transfers in:

Arsenal

Ligue 1: 1 (25)

Premier League: 2 (29, 19)

La Liga: 1 (25)

Liverpool

Premier League: 3 (32, 26, 25)

Bundesliga: 1 (20)

Ligue 1: 1 (19)

La Liga: 1 (22)

Primeira Liga: 1 (Lazar Markovic, 20)

Manchester City.

La Liga: 1 (32)

Primeira Liga: 2 (Eliaquim Mangala, 23 and Fernando, 27)

Primera División: 1 (Bruno Zuculini, 21)

Premier League: 1 (31)

Chelsea:

La Liga: 3 (27. 25, 29)

Prva HNL: 1 (Mario Pašalić, 19)

Super Lig: 1 (Didier Drogba 36)

Manchester Utd: 

Primeira Liga: 1 (Marcos Rojo, 24)

Premier League: 1 (19)

La Liga: 1 (25)

Serbian Superliga: 1 (Vanja milinkovic, 17)

Total transfers recruited from one of the big-four leagues: 17/25  = 68%

Of the non big-four transfers those who are inexperienced players: 2/8 = 25%

If you're one of the top four - Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea - and you want to buy a tested talent then most of the time you are going to buy from a big league - French, German, Italian, Spanish, English.

As the statistics above show they generally only buy outside those leagues to recruit younger, inexperienced players who have yet to prove themselves at the highest level.

These are more risky players. Paul Scholes wants Man Utd to make a statement central defender signing from one of the big leagues. He's right. Even in Man Utd's "you win nothing with kids" season they had an experienced defence of Steve Bruce (35), Gary Pallister (30) and Denis Irwin (30).
Edited by Con

Sunderland are likely to be our direct rival in terms of league placings this season, regardless of my dislike for United and their fans I hope they win 6-0 today.

Sunderland will be nowhere near the top 4 this season !

I regret that joke already .

• Like 1

Sunderland are likely to be our direct rival in terms of league placings this season, regardless of my dislike for United and their fans I hope they win 6-0 today.

the way they are goin utd may be our direct rivals !
  • Like 4

True that, but signing a world-class player is always going to make the team better. Besides, who know what they will bring in the next week? United desperately need some skill from the wing, as well as players who can do something out of nothing. Di Maria offers just that, he is exceptional at gliding past players and creating something when everything seems locked.

The problems at United are very obvious right now, especially with the new formation they are playing. The midfielders today were woeful, none of Fletcher/Cleverley are going to be first picks when everyone is signed and fit. When you don't have exceptional midfielders in this formation, it is almost like playing with 10 men from the first minute.

Remember that United today played without Luke Shaw, Marcos Rojo, Jonny Evans, Michael Carrick, Rafael da Silva and Ander Herrera from their current "first" selection. On top of that, next week they might have Angel di Maria available.

Van Persie and Januzaj are obviously unfit at the moment, but have to play because of injuries and lack of depth.

There defence is relegation standard.

Their defence is relegation standard.

Today they were without Shaw, Rojo, Evans and Rafael. How would we fare without Vlaar and the other defenders?

Besides, their defensive display today wasn't too bad except for the corner-situation (which could have happened to the best defense in the world). The problem was in the central midfield, Fletcher and Cleverley are barely a top-15 combo.

Rafael is a not a reliable player for Utd. Sending off waiting to happen. Ideally they need to replace him.

Are Marcos Rojo and Jonny Evans going to be good enough at CD? 

It's a bit risky going into the season with just those two given the low standard of their replacements.

Of course I think it's possible Luke Shaw might play at CD like Chambers has been playing CD for Arsenal. Van Gaal has already said he doesn't think he's fit enough to get up and down the wing. Now that may be because Shaw had  just come back from holiday break but it could also be Van Gaal's way of mentally preparing him to switch positions. I really believe Shaw could be a great CD and that making the switch is a way Man Utd could get a really great CD relatively on the cheap.

Will Di Maria be used as a right wing back or a centermid? I Shaw will have that left side. Then they will have Herrera, Carrick and Mata in the midfield so I can only see Di Maria as the right wingback. 

I really believe Shaw could be a great CD and that making the switch is a way Man Utd could get a really great CD relatively on the cheap.

One of the 10 mostly costly defenders ever. Pretty cheap.

Back in 2002 23-year-old Rio Ferdinand signed for Man Utd in a £30 million transfer from Leeds. That's £3 million more than Luke Shaw has cost them Shaw was bought in an era of silly money.

I think I was justified to say Luke Shaw - if he turns out anywhere near as good as Rio - has been bought "relatively on the cheap."

How much do you think signing Hummels would cost Man Utd?

Â