Manchester United

BOF

£75m per year from Adidas and about £50m per year from chrysler.

That's significantly more than our total turnover as a club and that's before you consider thigns such as TV income match day, merchandising etc.

We are not even on the same planet.

And why we need mega bucks investment in our club if we are ever ever going to get anywhere near competing.  This is the game we are in,  no longer football.  It is now championship manager with the cheat code

• Like 2

How can adidas profit from that kind of outlay?

Directly, it's quite possible.  Indirectly it's very possible.  The knock-on "brand halo" of the publicity will help them sell more of their other adidas products.  Nike football is rumoured to run with the intention of breaking even - profits are pumped back in to marketing and asset acquisition.  In the last year Nike football was worth $2.2bn, and adidas football was worth roughly the same.

£75m is the minimum royalty guarantee.  That means that if United have a good season and sell more gear then it could end up higher than that figure.  With the United deal, you're not just paying to be technical sponsor (i.e. kit, training and some fanwear) you're paying to get royalties off everything with a United badge on it - duvet covers, birthday cards, the lot.  Once you start piling all that up on top of the shirts etc it becomes a lot of products.

To give you some context, Villa would expect to sell 80-120k shirts a year depending on how well they're doing.  United would expect to sell 1.6-2.2m shirts depending on how well they're doing.  They're a monstrous brand.  Much more than a football club.

Just on the news that Madrid's deal is £31m/year. Not sure how recent that is but it now looks a pittance. 

Just to put into some kind of context-

OkOX1NF.jpg

This was done before the figure of 75 million was announced. But I think the rest of the figures are correct.

All the other clubs in Europe will be jumping for joy about this. £££££££££££££

Expect the other CL clubs doubling their sponsors value now

Edited by villarule123

Well when the deal was announced the secret footballer wrote an article saying it was so inflated because Nike were subsidising it. Obviously not gospel but there you go

I don't think Dave Kitson would know anything about Rooney's contract with Man Utd.

shirt sales I guess.. Anything they make with a Manchester Utd symbol on it and they will get a proportion of it. 

It's still sort of risky, in the way that to sell the number of "items" to get 750 million quids worth of stuff is large, and dependant on sucess I guess.

Still, another huge kick in the bollocks for other 16 teams in the league. 

May as well pack up and go home.  out of the 92 league teams, only 87 are capable of any continued success.

We need an Arab, ASAP.

Shirt sales? No they are buying association with success. They don't get the money back directly, they get it back when you go into a store, look at the wall of shoes and narrow your choice down to 'Nike or ADIDAS' because those names are linked with high performance in your mind (it doesn't really matter what the product is actually like).

In any other era they would have been.  Manchester United have been (somewhat) fortunate that their golden period coincided with all the money coming into the game which has enabled them to stockpile tons of cash.  Had this been twenty years ago like the end of Liverpool's period of dominance then the road back would have been much more difficult. 

I always thought there was meant to be some sort of rule regarding FFP stopping teams getting deals massively more than others? I was under the impression it was more in place to stop, for example, City's owners using another company under their control to finance City's transfer with an unrealistic sponsor amount.

waiting for COn opinion who said United was finished now as a power :D

Read the thread before you make incorrect statements like this. I changed my opinion before Van Gaal was hired based on a new coaching team that contained Paul Scholes and young talent that I never knew about before that impressed me, like James Wilson.

Post #2822 is when I started "buying" Man Utd again confirmed at post #2868. I feel sorry for Liverpool fans next season because they will be pushed out of the top 4 again.

However, I still say Utd need two non-jokers at CB for this season or they will high-scoring but inconsistent.

UEFA say that all sponsorship deals have to offer "fair value" which seemed like it might work for about five minutes.   Then they let the Qatar Foundation sponsor Barcelona for £125m and it was clear to all that FFP wasn't worth the paper it was written on. 

• Like 2

Anyone else sick of the van Gaal wankfest already? Bbc ran a headline saying he took his first training session. Pathetic.

He isn't that good. Yes he will do better than Moyes, but he has already got it better than Moyes did. Firstly they are spending a lot of money early doors which they didn't for Moyes, secondly the press are all supportive of van Gaal not questioning his appointment.

Â