Manchester United

BOF

Anyone else sick of the van Gaal wankfest already? Bbc ran a headline saying he took his first training session. Pathetic.

He isn't that good. Yes he will do better than Moyes, but he has already got it better than Moyes did. Firstly they are spending a lot of money early doors which they didn't for Moyes, secondly the press are all supportive of van Gaal not questioning his appointment.

I'm sure he will beg to differ.  Won the league with every club he has ever managed, Spain, Germany and with two clubs in the Netherlands.  Three Champions League finals (one win), UEFA cup, domestic cups aplenty and he was just a penalty shootout away from making the World Cup final.  I'd consider that to be a good managerial record. 

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 1

Anyone else sick of the van Gaal wankfest already? Bbc ran a headline saying he took his first training session. Pathetic.

He isn't that good. Yes he will do better than Moyes, but he has already got it better than Moyes did. Firstly they are spending a lot of money early doors which they didn't for Moyes, secondly the press are all supportive of van Gaal not questioning his appointment.

I'm sure he will beg to differ. Won the league in the Netherlands, Spain & Germany. Three Champions League finals (one win), UEFA cup, domestic cups aplenty and he was just a penalty shootout away from making the World Cup final. I'd consider that to be a good managerial record.

Yes he good but they are all making out he is the best ever all because he has now taken over utd.

It's just the media playing to the gallery.  Manchester United have a lot of supporters and half of them are idiots who will lap anything up. If you don't like it, just turn Sky Sports News off for a week or two. 

• Like 1

personally i think "team x got in the champions league" is never as simple as it sounds, usually its more a case of someone did shit and dropped out rather than someone did well and jumped up, but the media dont paint that picture, the obvious answer is a suarez-less liverpool but the same applies now, its as much a case of utd doing well as it is 1 of the top 4 having a disappointing year

Well, they signed ander Herrera from a club in the champions league already. They attracted a manager that has won the champions league and surely would've had champions league clubs interested. They got a kit deal larger than anyone in the champions league. Real has always been more attractive than Man U, even before they were outside of the champions league. It isn't the be all end all you act like

I forgot about Herrera.

Don't know anything about him but I'll assume he is the replacement for Carrick, the guy they bought instead of Kroos.

Can't assume anything until he plays but he'd do well to be as good as Aaron Ramsey, Ozil or anything Man City or Chelsea have. I'm not convinced he'd get into their teams.

I forgot about Herrera.

Don't know anything about him...I'm not convinced he'd get into their teams.

Surely you're not convinced he wouldn't get in to their teams either. You don't know anything about him, remember?

• Like 2

Carrick out for 3 months...bit blow considering how weak they are in that area already. Think the plan was to pair him with Herrera but the Basque guy can't do it all on his own now.

They badly need to get a Vidal standard player in before the window closes, just compare their midfield to the other top teams.

I was using the fact I'd never heard about Herrera as evidence he wasn't as good yet as the players I had heard about.

Carrick news is a blow but maybe Van Gaal would have benched him anyway? Who knows what he will do... that is what makes him an exciting manager.

Man Utd's midfield talent -

Mata

Fellaini

Herrara

Powell 

Januzaj

Valencia

Carrick

Nani

... could Van Gaatake the bold decision to start a relatively unknown like Nick Powell, or Januzaj to midfield  (where they say he will end up eventually).

Man Utd really need some of their young players to step up and become stars, so they get some star players without having persuade established stars to take a step down to join them.

They need a Vidal type in there to properly sort out that central midfield, probably another wide player given how mediocre the other three experienced options are and obviously a centre back of decent pedigree.

Get those three in and I'm sure it will be top 4 and maybe an outside title challenge given they'll be playing 1 game a week for most of the season and I'm sure that benefited Liverpool last year.

I wasn't suggesting Januzaj for central midfield role. That's Powell. Januzaj would be central attacking midfield, in the hole.

Mata and/or Januzaj (hype version)

Herrara and/or Powell (hype version)

and Felliani.

I'd take that central midfield into the PL.

But obviously it all depends on the kids stepping up and being as good as hyped. if they're not they need a couple of new midfielders.

There's no reason to play Januzaj in the hole when Rooney, Mata and Kagawa are all at the club. As talented as he is I doubt Adan will be producing better stats than those playing just off the striker.

And Fellani's level is below Man. United. Just think back to the Munich game and how out of his depth he was, he just doesn't fit in there.

The big question mark over Januzaj at the moment is his physical presence.  He might just get bullied out of games when he is in the thick of it.  That will change over the next couple of years but for now clubs will target him.  

If United sign Vidal then it will solve a lot of their problems.  He really could be the long overdue replacement for Roy Keane. 

Â