VillaGoMarching

Valencia said they want €30m and that they don't need to sell him.

Maybe Levy should realise that he has no right to get favours from teams, if they have a valuation just meet it, if you can't afford to meet it then look elsewhere. 

Not sure you've grasped the art of negotiation there Samjip!!

I don't think Levy has grasped the art of negotiation either.

"The price is £30 million."

"£25 million?"

"£30 million."

"£20 million plus (insert overpriced, over the hill, overpaid player he doesn't want)."

"£30 million."

"£27.5 million. Final offer."

"We don't want or have to sell anyway. Sod off."

Another master class.

• Like 1

Their forums are making good reading. They're all complaining about how Real are going about this. Brilliant to see them moaning after the Benteke shit.

Not sure that's right mate?? There's barely a person on the forum I use who takes the story seriously, much less moaning about Real Madrid, we've all been there year after year that until and unless the player kicks up a stink then it's all hot-air from real Madrid's mouth-piece! But perhaps you're looking a different forum...

Ok just done some research, and I think for the first time, this Bale leaving for Madrid might be true. The news has gone viral, it's everywhere, surely all these different sources can not be wrong.

:D

I think you should be really happy with around 50m, after all you don't want an unhappy player on your books, that will not be a good thing for you and I am sure you see it that way.

Depending on reports, you paid something between 5 and 10m for Bale, so for the sake of both clubs, I would suggest taking the 50m would be beneficial as you can bot move on. It really would be best for all involved if you get rid as Real are going to offer the best rates and great wages and as I said, you would be better off selling than holding on to somebody who doesn't want to be there.

Revenge. A dish best served piping **** hot.

Yeah, Spurs should work with Real and reach a compromise. You know, play fair.

• Like 1

Maybe Levy should realise that he has no right to get favours from teams, if they have a valuation just meet it, if you can't afford to meet it then look elsewhere. 

I don't think Levy has grasped the art of negotiation either.

"The price is £30 million."

"£25 million?"

"£30 million."

"£20 million plus (insert overpriced, over the hill, overpaid player he doesn't want)."

"£30 million."

"£27.5 million. Final offer."

"We don't want or have to sell anyway. Sod off."

Another master class.

The real art of negotiation is first being good at working how much a thing is worth, and then being good at buying it for less than that and on no accounts buying it for more than that. I would say the absolute key skill is in walking away, because psychologically it is the hardest thing to do. It is the quality that marks out the experts from the rest of us.

So, in the case of a football transfer if you think player A is worth £15m and the selling club thinks he's worth £20m, should you:

A: Not pay a penny more than £15m.

B: Pay £20m and have done with it.

C: Offer to split the difference and pay £17.5m

You might however criticise Levy's valuations (such as we can guess at them),

Ok just done some research, and I think for the first time, this Bale leaving for Madrid might be true. The news has gone viral, it's everywhere, surely all these different sources can not be wrong.

:D

I think you should be really happy with around 50m, after all you don't want an unhappy player on your books, that will not be a good thing for you and I am sure you see it that way. 

Depending on reports, you paid something between 5 and 10m for Bale, so for the sake of both clubs, I would suggest taking the 50m would be beneficial as you can bot move on. It really would be best for all involved if you get rid as Real are going to offer the best rates and great wages and as I said, you would be better off selling than holding on to somebody who doesn't want to be there.

Very droll!

We paid £7m for Bale btw.

It will be interesting to see how the London media reacts to this

Surely its bigger news than the Benteke transfer and they will be even more dying to see this transfer go through

Someone needs to ask him as he drives out the training ground mention Real Madrid then check the Smile-O-Meter

I expect to see at least 1000 articles on it by the end of the week or they are clearly biased as shit

Edited by AshVilla

The real art of negotiation is first being good at working how much a thing is worth, and then being good at buying it for less than that and on no accounts buying it for more than that. I would say the absolute key skill is in walking away, because psychologically it is the hardest thing to do.

Ordinarily you're probably right, but there does come a point where haggling and walking away over a million or 2 million in a deal worth well over £30m (incl. wages) becomes a case of just cutting off your nose to spite your face through pride. Take Benteke to Spurs for example. For this example let's assume the rumours were all true. Spurs 'shook the tree' to see what would fall out, Benteke hands in a transfer request, Villa place a £25m-26m valuation on the player and Spurs say they'll only go to around the £22m mark. In my view, given that both sides play with one up front and a supporting cast of attacking midfielders (in our case 2 modified strikers) and given the nature of the goals Benteke scored last season, it is my opinion that with him up front, Spurs would be a force to be reckoned with. He is tailor-made for you.

Your midfield is fantastic and is now even better with Paulinho in there. You are a strikeforce (and obviously luck with injuries) away from having a top season. In that situation, knowing that we wanted X amount, I think Spurs are mad not to go the extra mile in that situation. Given that they're now rumoured to be going upwards of €26m for a 28 year old who has never kicked a ball in the Premier League, I don't think a little bit of speculation would have gone amiss on Levy's behalf because Benteke was all about speed, strength, accuracy and technique last season. That's 4 things you can't coach and more importantly it's 4 things you can't decide to be able to defend against the following season. I'd be a lot more confident of Benteke having a good 2nd season in the Premier League than I would of say someone like Michu who I expect will have a much harder time this season.

The real art of negotiation is first being good at working how much a thing is worth, and then being good at buying it for less than that and on no accounts buying it for more than that. I would say the absolute key skill is in walking away, because psychologically it is the hardest thing to do. It is the quality that marks out the experts from the rest of us.

So, in the case of a football transfer if you think player A is worth £15m and the selling club thinks he's worth £20m, should you:

A: Not pay a penny more than £15m.

B: Pay £20m and have done with it.

C: Offer to split the difference and pay £17.5m

You might however criticise Levy's valuations (such as we can guess at them),

You're right, assuming both parties want to come to an agreement. However, if you're buying a something that is not for sale, you pay the askin price or bugger off. If my house wasn't for sale, and someone knocked at the door trying to buy it, they'd have to pay a lot more than normal market price, as I don't want to sell it. Why would I negotiate? You came to me, pay up or bugger off.

Sorry for the massive quote... Posting on mobile so formatting is tricky.

Edited by blunther
  • Like 2

You can't blame Bale wanting to play for a big club and wanting to win things, fair play to him.

Maybe it's part of the reason Benteke didn't want to go there, maybe he'd been tipped off that bale was off for better things.

Surely Spurs flog Bale and then use half the money to buy Suarez thereby weakening Liverpool and retaining their grip on 5th place.

If one of the top 4 has a bad season they might even make the Champions League and be able to attract some big name players

I think I have to be honest Tartar! Or at least Levy's art anyway.

2012:

Levy: Hey Valencia, can we buy Roberto?

Valencia: Sure, €30m.

Levy: Erm, how about €22m?

Valencia: No, €30m or nothing, we don't need to sell.

2013:

Levy: Hey Valencia, can we buy Roberto?

Valencia: Sure, but again, we want €30m.

Levy: Erm, how about €22m?

Levy: Okay, okay how about €26m?

---

Of course I've shortened the processes a bit, but that seems to be the basics of his method.

Do you think if Man United offered £30m for Bale, Levy would drop his asking price and accept? Of course not, he is your prized asset, he isn't for sale and you have every right to ask for what you want. You don't need to sell him, you don't want to sell him, so if you're going to sell him you're going to get what you want for him.

Edited by samjp26

The real art of negotiation is first being good at working how much a thing is worth, and then being good at buying it for less than that and on no accounts buying it for more than that. I would say the absolute key skill is in walking away, because psychologically it is the hardest thing to do.

Ordinarily you're probably right, but there does come a point where haggling and walking away over a million or 2 million in a deal worth well over £30m (incl. wages) becomes a case of just cutting off your nose to spite your face through pride. Take Benteke to Spurs for example. For this example let's assume the rumours were all true. Spurs 'shook the tree' to see what would fall out, Benteke hands in a transfer request, Villa place a £25m-26m valuation on the player and Spurs say they'll only go to around the £22m mark. In my view, given that both sides play with one up front and a supporting cast of attacking midfielders (in our case 2 modified strikers) and given the nature of the goals Benteke scored last season, it is my opinion that with him up front, Spurs would be a force to be reckoned with. He is tailor-made for you.

Your midfield is fantastic and is now even better with Paulinho in there. You are a strikeforce (and obviously luck with injuries) away from having a top season. In that situation, knowing that we wanted X amount, I think Spurs are mad not to go the extra mile in that situation. Given that they're now rumoured to be going upwards of €26m for a 28 year old who has never kicked a ball in the Premier League, I don't think a little bit of speculation would have gone amiss on Levy's behalf because Benteke was all about speed, strength, accuracy and technique last season. That's 4 things you can't coach and more importantly it's 4 things you can't decide to be able to defend against the following season. I'd be a lot more confident of Benteke having a good 2nd season in the Premier League than I would of say someone like Michu who I expect will have a much harder time this season.

Absolutely this. If Benteke had gone there, they would have been an outside bet for the title as their front 6 would have been as good as most in the league and he would suit have suited them perfectly. Taking a longer term view, I can't see the logic in spending similar amounts of money on a 28 year old ( who is admittedly more proven but not in this league ) who will be 32 in four years time and worth didly squat, over Benteke who should be approaching his peak in the same period.

For Spurs to be seemingly willing to pay in the region of £26m for a 28 with no experience in the PL seems a little like desperation to me.

They could seemingly have had a just turned 22 year old with all be it limited experience in the PL for a similar price.

I rate Levy, I think he has done a fantastic job over the years but to use an old phrase I think he screwed the pooch on this one.

I know what you mean, but that still comes down to disagreeing with Levy's valuation of Benteke rather than his negotiation. If he didn't think he was worth £25m then he shouldn't pay it. I guess there's a chance he did think he was worth £25m, played silly-buggers and missed out, in which case that was poor negotiation.

Â