VillaGoMarching

I think the issue with Levy may be that he has been worked out a little. People are more used to his way of working and set themselves up as a complete barrier (us with our deadline, the Soldado transfer being "pay this, or forget it.")

Again, I'm not disagreeing. My entire point from the start was about the huge jump now required for Spurs to become a title contender from where you are now. That's what I'm doubting Levy will be able to do because that does require swallowing pride and paying valuations on superstar players that Levy may not entirely agree with. I think he has come as far as he can.

Good stuff. I'm not sure there's a huge jump to become title contenders, but accept there might be. This season's certainly going to be very interesting with a number of the big spenders undergoing major transformation. I also don't think there's a huge fall for us to slide back into mid-table, nor, for example, for Villa to rise out of it. I'm a big believer in looking at a team entire rather than individuals and think it's the combination of skills and ability expertly marshalled by the coach, as well as a recruitment policy that understands what the team requires and can identify the players to meet those requirements. Borussia Dortmund is the model, and also Arsenal of the Wenger years.

You can of course short-cut all of that by simply throwing masses of money at it, getting players you know are excellent and getting lots of them, as well as a top coach, and then letting him put them together into a winning team. Even with mediocre coaches like Mancini, or Grant you can get results like this. If you're a club of the size of Villa or Spurs though, then there's no short-cut, there's no pushing the boat out because you haven't got a boat to push to push out - we'll succeed or fail by our wits and judgement! Perhaps we'll fail, but if we do I think it will because the job was very difficult to pull off, rather than because someone else could have come in and run the club and done a better job.

In my opinion our biggest asset is not Bale, and not AVB, but is Levy.

Great post.

Grest

If you look at the basic model of price though you see Levy is going to have to pay more than what would be considered the correct price. Spurs are in a situation where they have huge demand for a striker, they currently have an aging Jermain Defoe & Adebayor who failed to perform anywhere near to the level he did the season before. Other than that they have youth players with (I'm guessing) no first team experience. The teams around them have numerous striking options (Lukaku, Ba, Torres, Aguero, Dzeko, Negredo, Jovetic, Van Persie, Rooney, Hernandes, Wellbeck, Podolski, Wallcott, Giroud, Sanogo). Therefore, on this analysis alone Spurs need at least one striker if not two. This of course in economics means that price will move up. Then of course, there is the other side of the coin, supply. With all the players Spurs have been linked to they have all been goal scorers, this alone, is a very rare commodity but the fact the want one of the top ones in the world makes it even rarer. The you have the whole idea that the selling club, Valencia or Villa for that matter, do not want to sell. This is obviously all going to push the price up. Tartuga talks about Spurs getting a fair price, but that is all well and good if Spurs are the selling club, but if they want something they don't own they have to pay what the club wants.

What is this "Correct" price you speak of? The correct valuation is the estimation of a player's worth given all the variables. That's all. There's no "correct" price, but then a bit more on top of that... if you think the player's worth a bit more then that's the "Correct" price and the price which has him worth a bit less is the incorrect price. The point being made is that once calculated the correct price doesn't change just because the negotiations have got close to agreement, you don't just add on a couple of million because you've put a lot of work into it and it would be gutting to walk away. Most people are human and would find it very difficult to walk away from something they've worked hard for, and really want, and almost have, but if the price exceeds your estimated worth of the thing then you should not buy it.

I'll add that although straightforward this stuff seems extraordinarily difficult for many to grasp because it goes against the way our brains are wired*. Master it and there's a good chance you'll be a winner, don't and you're relying on luck.

* Similar to the old conundrum where the quiz master tells you of the three closed doors arranged in front of you behind one is a Ferrari and behind the other two a goat. He asks you to chose a door, you do so, and he promptly opens one of the other doors to reveal a goat. Now there are two doors left, and he asks if you want to stick with your decision or chose the other door. What should you do?

Answer: Always switch, only by switching to you turn a 33.33% chance of winning the Ferrari into a 50% chance. Most people can't see the difference and think that whatever you do it's a 50% chance and so often they'll stick to their original choice!

Firstly, the correct price is where supply meets demand, where both parties agree to a price they are willing to pay/sell for. I disagree, you seem to be putting an absolute valuation on a player, however that is not the case. One player can be worth a lot more to certain teams than others, for example Soldado going to City or Spurs, at City he would be a bit part players and maybe get 10 goals but at Spurs he would be the main striker and be expected to hit 20+. As BOF has alluded to Spurs inability to purchase a goal scoring striker in Janaury has more than likely cost them champions league football this year. You talk about walking away like it is some divine power that Levy possess, where the actual case is he can not afford to pay for Soldado, he has no choice, he can not make an offer that is acceptable to the selling club, Spurs are not in a position of power here, as I alluded to earlier they are in the market for highly valuable assets which people do not want to part with, they seem to be wasting valuable time pottering around with offers they know are not going to be accepted.

dare I say it Levy is a bit like Deadly Doug. makes decisions that stopping club getting debts but also stopping Spurs breaking the glass ceiling

Not really the sponsorship deals are some of the best in the premier league. Doug sold us short on these things.

I actually think Levy is a very good chairman, he knows what he's doing unlike Lerner for his first few years. He's took Spurs from mid table obscurity for about 40 years to challenging regularly for the top 4, without crippling the club financially.

dare I say it Levy is a bit like Deadly Doug. makes decisions that stopping club getting debts but also stopping Spurs breaking the glass ceiling

Not really the sponsorship deals are some of the best in the premier league. Doug sold us short on these things.

I actually think Levy is a very good chairman, he knows what he's doing unlike Lerner for his first few years. He's took Spurs from mid table obscurity for about 40 years to challenging regularly for the top 4, without crippling the club financially.

but as said before people forget his start. appointing Santini, Ramos even Hoddle were awful appointments. Lerner and Faulkner had to learn the hard way

but as said before people forget his start. appointing Santini, Ramos even Hoddle were awful appointments. Lerner and Faulkner had to learn the hard way

Fair point, but he's still challenged the top 4 growing the club more organically than say Man City, Chelsea and what we tried to do a few years ago.

He still never pulled out a middle finger to the fans like a McLeish bomb.

If Bale get eighty million though, I mean, they could buy a very good bale replacement, baines at left back, a very good striker and a very good right winger with that money. Call me crazy but if they do indeed get eighty then it could end up improving their team.

Yeah people said similar when we lost Milner and got Ireland and £18m but they were very wrong. They could be better off or they could go the other way.

Yes it could and there's a decent chance they'd get many of the buys wrong but there's a big difference between MON spending eighteen million and avb/levy spending eighty

Yeah people said similar when we lost Milner and got Ireland and £18m but they were very wrong. They could be better off or they could go the other way.

Yes it could and there's a decent chance they'd get many of the buys wrong but there's a big difference between MON spending eighteen million and avb/levy spending eighty

Yes absolutely a fair point and one I entirely agree with.

I'd be happy with them signing Remy, I don't see him firing them into the champions league anytime soon. Aside from his goal against Wigan he didn't seem to do much to help QPR stay up.

And why would Baines go to Spurs when Man. United want him?!

To be fair to MON on this one he wasn't the one that agreed the deal for Ireland.

Â