VillaGoMarching

"My representatives told me Tottenham made an offer and Valencia did not want to sell me, despite the club's financial situation." Roberto Soldado, August 2012.

They'll probably come back next Summer and ask if they can Benteke for £15m/£18m/£20m/£22,343,594.94 (or whatever figure it was that they had in mind) again.

And if you need a handy rebuttal to the notion that Levy always gets a good deal and/or never signs a pup, here you go. Fryers £3m. Naughton £5m, Crouch 9m, Bassong 8m, Corluka 8.5m, Gomes 10m, Palacios 12m, Pavlyuchenko 14m, Bentley 15m, Hutton 9m, Zokora 8.2m.

£9m for Hutton?  We should tell them we''l let them have him for £8m.  That's more than 10% off.

Yeah so they're referring to Marca who were referring to the Norwegian article. I think if/when that does happen, it'll be everywhere. I doubt it will happen though.

Ok just done some research, and I think for the first time, this Bale leaving for Madrid might be true. The news has gone viral, it's everywhere, surely all these different sources can not be wrong.

And if you need a handy rebuttal to the notion that Levy always gets a good deal and/or never signs a pup, here you go. Fryers £3m. Naughton £5m, Crouch 9m, Bassong 8m, Corluka 8.5m, Gomes 10m, Palacios 12m, Pavlyuchenko 14m, Bentley 15m, Hutton 9m, Zokora 8.2m.

Levy's biggest mistakes were Bent £16.5m, Keane £12m (the second time), and Bentley £15m, there were obviously plenty of others too! One thing to note however is usually purchasing players is thought of as an investment rather than an expenditure and they're marked down as assets in the accounts. It's not always obvious what return is made on an investment, but often you can at least see what the net expense of the investment was by looking at how much they're sold on for. Thus...

Player / Paid / Sold / Net

Fryers / £3m / N/A / N/A

Naughton / £5m / N/A / N/A

Crouch / £9m / £10m / £1m

Bassong / £8m / £4m / -£4m

Corluka / £8.5m / £5.5m / -£3m

Gomes / £10m / N/A / N/A

Palacios / £12m / £10m / -£2m

Pav / £14m / £8m / -£6m

Bentley / £15m / £0 / -£15m

Hutton / £9m / £4m / -£5m

Zokora / £8.2m / £7.75m / -£0.45m

So of all the duds you listed the one really expensive mistake was Bentley. I should also say we put together our current team for net £0 approximately. And if was being really cheeky I could also point out that in the four years until season 2011/12 that the Guardian have been doing their articles tracking PL club finances, the combined transfer and wage spend of Spurs was around £33m less than that of Villa's.

Valencia said they want €30m and that they don't need to sell him.

Maybe Levy should realise that he has no right to get favours from teams, if they have a valuation just meet it, if you can't afford to meet it then look elsewhere. 

Not sure you've grasped the art of negotiation there Samjip!!

Well I counted 7 different sources, it might end up being bullshit, but we won't know for sure until the transfer window is shut. Spurs fans will be having squeaky bums until that time.

And if was being really cheeky I could also point out that in the four years until season 2011/12 that the Guardian have been doing their articles tracking PL club finances, the combined transfer and wage spend of Spurs was around £33m less than that of Villa's.

That wouldn't really be cheeky of you, it would just tie up with Lerner taking over and putting in the investment we'd been crying out for. If you take a longer timescale you'd see that Ellis spent very little net for the preceding decade (we had to protest to get him to buy Angel) so while that small timescale looks bad it must be taken in the bigger context of what he was taking over at the time.

Their forums are making good reading. They're all complaining about how Real are going about this. Brilliant to see them moaning after the Benteke shit.

• Like 4

Strange, my spurs supporting dad has been a bit quiet the past few days. First Benteke signs a new contract with us and then Bale is leaving. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

Â