VillaGoMarching

According to their wiki page, they have 24 players, 9 of which are "home-grown", with 1 (possibly 2) being u21. They are also signing Lamela, Eriksen and Chiriches, leaving them with 27 players. All excluding Bale, looks like they will need to leave someone unregistered, or let Holtby and/or Sigurdsson go. I don't like Spurs that much and I think I'm trying to find reasons to bash them, and it's getting a lot harder :(

On a side note, John Hartson reckons Bale shouldn't be fined, and if he is it would be ridiculous. Why shouldn't he be fined? He refused to turn up to his job! If anyone in a normal job had done that, or Hartson refused to turn up to his punditry, they'd get fined instantly, or possibly fired, why is it different for footballers. I really hope Tottenham fine him.

Come on, are people this naive?

Are you seriously comparing a footballer to someone who has a normal job? The sentence itself contradicts you, as footballers obviously aren't normal folk. Some would make around 200k a week to kick a ball, 4 times what a normal to high earner makes a year. Bale is a Tottenham-player on paper, yes, but we all know he is going to Real Madrid. So why be so petty that you fine him for not showing up to practice? They are getting 90M for him, a figure higher than some countries' GDP, do you even think Spurs want him there so anything can happen to him? Imagine if Assou-Ekotto tackles him and he breaks his leg and so on. This deal has reached its final steps, it's the biggest deal in the history of football, all that's left is sour grapes (in many ways warranted) from Tottenham to show that they are in fact running the show here, to keep their dignity and so on. Bale is gone, what does it matter if he spends a couple of days away from the other players and manager? It would be totally weird for him to be there, just imagine it yourself. Hey guys, I'm the best player around here and now I am going to the biggest club in the world to play in the Champions League, enjoy playing Thursdays in the Europa League! Like I said, not one person at Tottenham would want him there either.

You ask "why is it any different for footballers?", well, I think you already know the answer to that question so I don't understand why you are raising it.

If Tottenham didn't want him there, then they should've said don't turn up, they didn't AFAIK so he should turn up. I really don't know why it's different for footballers, it sends out a bad message. He has breached his contract, depending on the terms of said contract, that could warrant a sacking, although the norm is a fine. Who gives a shit how much he's transferring for? It doesn't mean he should just ignore his job. Again, if a normal person was moving jobs, they'd still be expected to turn up and work until either their contract expires or their notice is up, or they are put on gardening leave. Why should footballers contracts be treated any differently to normal contracts? They shouldn't. Not just in this respect, but in other examples such as the Suarez racism incident. Again, normal person = sacked, footballer = still earns £100k + and is banned for a bit.

This is why football is slowly circling the pan. People excuse out of order behaviour because they are footballers. They also earn ridiculous sums of money (Normally around £50k p/w, i'd guess roughly 20-30 players in the world earn £200k +) and still don't get punished for this behaviour. As soon as people stop putting up with this, the sooner football can start to get it's soul back.

Oh, and another edit, it's not petty for Tottenham to fine him, it's showing some backbone and doing what is right.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

On a side note, John Hartson reckons Bale shouldn't be fined, and if he is it would be ridiculous. Why shouldn't he be fined? He refused to turn up to his job! If anyone in a normal job had done that, or Hartson refused to turn up to his punditry, they'd get fined instantly, or possibly fired, why is it different for footballers. I really hope Tottenham fine him.

+1 Can't stand the cheater.

I'm more hoping that the deal falls through, Spurs are left with a very happy player and not the incoming bundle of cash they expected to receive to pay for their recent additions.

That would just make my summer.

Apparently Spurs are quite happy to keep hold of Bale.  They'd allocated the transfer budget this summer anyway.

And that is from the world's most reliable ITK source, ever.

Dave Whelan?

• Like 1

I'm more hoping that the deal falls through, Spurs are left with a very happy player and not the incoming bundle of cash they expected to receive to pay for their recent additions.

Apparently Spurs are quite happy to keep hold of Bale. They'd allocated the transfer budget this summer anyway.

Glaston?

According to their wiki page, they have 24 players, 9 of which are "home-grown", with 1 (possibly 2) being u21. They are also signing Lamela, Eriksen and Chiriches, leaving them with 27 players. All excluding Bale, looks like they will need to leave someone unregistered, or let Holtby and/or Sigurdsson go. I don't like Spurs that much and I think I'm trying to find reasons to bash them, and it's getting a lot harder :(

Are you seriously comparing a footballer to someone who has a normal job? The sentence itself contradicts you, as footballers obviously aren't normal folk. Some would make around 200k a week to kick a ball, 4 times what a normal to high earner makes a year. Bale is a Tottenham-player on paper, yes, but we all know he is going to Real Madrid. So why be so petty that you fine him for not showing up to practice? They are getting 90M for him, a figure higher than some countries' GDP, do you even think Spurs want him there so anything can happen to him? Imagine if Assou-Ekotto tackles him and he breaks his leg and so on. This deal has reached its final steps, it's the biggest deal in the history of football, all that's left is sour grapes (in many ways warranted) from Tottenham to show that they are in fact running the show here, to keep their dignity and so on. Bale is gone, what does it matter if he spends a couple of days away from the other players and manager? It would be totally weird for him to be there, just imagine it yourself. Hey guys, I'm the best player around here and now I am going to the biggest club in the world to play in the Champions League, enjoy playing Thursdays in the Europa League! Like I said, not one person at Tottenham would want him there either.

You ask "why is it any different for footballers?", well, I think you already know the answer to that question so I don't understand why you are raising it.

If Tottenham didn't want him there, then they should've said don't turn up, they didn't AFAIK so he should turn up. I really don't know why it's different for footballers, it sends out a bad message. He has breached his contract, depending on the terms of said contract, that could warrant a sacking, although the norm is a fine. Who gives a shit how much he's transferring for? It doesn't mean he should just ignore his job. Again, if a normal person was moving jobs, they'd still be expected to turn up and work until either their contract expires or their notice is up, or they are put on gardening leave. Why should footballers contracts be treated any differently to normal contracts? They shouldn't. Not just in this respect, but in other examples such as the Suarez racism incident. Again, normal person = sacked, footballer = still earns £100k + and is banned for a bit.

This is why football is slowly circling the pan. People excuse out of order behaviour because they are footballers. They also earn ridiculous sums of money (Normally around £50k p/w, i'd guess roughly 20-30 players in the world earn £200k +) and still don't get punished for this behaviour. As soon as people stop putting up with this, the sooner football can start to get it's soul back.

Oh, and another edit, it's not petty for Tottenham to fine him, it's showing some backbone and doing what is right.

I'm sure bale would love to be fired. That's the difference. Leverage. Footballers, because it's a rare profession where there are less employees up to a certain standard than employees need, have leverage over the employers. That's why the comparison is silly. Through hard work and talent, (we always underestimate the amount of hard work) Bale has made himself a commodity that is quite rare and he has leverage over his employer that you don't have. 

As for my explanation for why he would love to be fired, well, let's go back to this stupid comparison to normal employees. If you were about to leave your company for a better company but the better company had to pay your current company ninety million pounds, or you could get fired and go to the new company for free and save them money, why would you be afraid of being fired? 

I don't buy in to this theory that spurs now not selling bale would leave them in a financial mess

the net spend is around £60m so far and the wages wont be that bad with the likes of parker and gallas leaving

And the fact that if they keep Bale with this squad, well, you get a lot of extra prize money for winning the prem and the Europa League don't you?

BS1LE_DIMAAqQY8.jpg

That really is a strong squad and that's without BAE, Hotlby and also Adebayor.

Still think they could maybe do with 1 more striker personally but their midfield options are fantastic

Don't agree all that with BOF's team, would be 4-2-3-1 for me: Lloris, Walker, Dawson, Vertonghen, Coentrao (when the Bale deal is complete) Sandro, Capoue, Eriksen, Paulinho, Lamela and Soldado. 

The back-up team is scary, the majority would get into our first team: Friedel, Naughton, Kaboul, Chiriches, Rose, Dembele, Holtby, Lennon, Townsend, Chadli and Defoe.

Don't agree all that with BOF's team, would be 4-2-3-1 for me: Lloris, Walker, Dawson, Vertonghen, Coentrao (when the Bale deal is complete) Sandro, Capoue, Eriksen, Paulinho, Lamela and Soldado. 

The back-up team is scary, the majority would get into our first team: Friedel, Naughton, Kaboul, Chiriches, Rose, Dembele, Holtby, Lennon, Townsend, Chadli and Defoe.

Huh? It's not 'my' team at all. It merely shows their current strength in depth.

Apparently Spurs are quite happy to keep hold of Bale.  They'd allocated the transfer budget this summer anyway.

Dave Whelan?

Close.

I'm sure bale would love to be fired. That's the difference. Leverage. Footballers, because it's a rare profession where there are less employees up to a certain standard than employees need, have leverage over the employers. That's why the comparison is silly. Through hard work and talent, (we always underestimate the amount of hard work) Bale has made himself a commodity that is quite rare and he has leverage over his employer that you don't have.

As for my explanation for why he would love to be fired, well, let's go back to this stupid comparison to normal employees. If you were about to leave your company for a better company but the better company had to pay your current company ninety million pounds, or you could get fired and go to the new company for free and save them money, why would you be afraid of being fired?

He has a fixed contract with his employer so if he committed misconduct badly enough to be fired the company could seek compensation from him to cover their loss.

It happened to Mutu when Chelsea sued him for £15m after his positive drug test.

• Like 1

They've spent a lot of money - but it's a squad with a lot of players who have a lot to prove in this league, it'll be a bit disjointed, a bit inconsistent and I think at least a couple of the big names will be outright flops - I think a couple will be big successes too, but I think Spurs signings will make this season one of transition rather than success.

Was impressed with Carroll last night. Looks a lovely footballer in the Westwood mould. If only there was another Lambert out there who would give him a proper chance. I know he's rated at Spurs but he needs at least a loan move to a Premier League team.

Dave Whelan?

Close.

'Arry Redknob hanging out of a car window?

Â