VillaGoMarching

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Lost their eighth FA cup semi final since 1991. Even we've won two in that timeframe.

Can see their team starting to break up from the summer.

Players like Kane, Erikson, Son and Alderweireld deserve to play for better clubs.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I think they just need to add a bit more directness to the squad for when they can’t break a team down, they took too long getting the ball up to the penalty area yesterday, and obviously Man Utd were going to play behind it and frustrate them. They’re a very very good side just need a plan B/C. Poch is a fantastic manager, but it’s not always going to be plain sailing and against top sides sitting back they’re not going to be able to pass the ball through them. Shades of 2010 era Arsenal about them.

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Can't say I'm too impressed by the official FA Cup twitter account taking the piss out of Kane.

Same. Seems a twatty thing to do, but hey, its all about the bantz nowadays! 

3 hours ago, a m ole said:

I think they just need to add a bit more directness to the squad for when they can’t break a team down, they took too long getting the ball up to the penalty area yesterday, and obviously Man Utd were going to play behind it and frustrate them. They’re a very very good side just need a plan B/C. Poch is a fantastic manager, but it’s not always going to be plain sailing and against top sides sitting back they’re not going to be able to pass the ball through them. Shades of 2010 era Arsenal about them.

Signed Sissoko, Llorente and Lucas Moura all in last 18 months who fit the direct description.

It's just mentality with Spurs whoever they sign.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, bobzy said:

I hope Pochettino, Eriksen, Kane, Son et al all stay at Spurs for a long time and that they find a way to get above the Man City/Chelsea/Man Utd snorefest.  Ideally, they'd be runner up to Villa in the Premier League. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For Dembele lovers on here, he wants to move to China for a end of career payday.

Team starting to break up a little. Think if they don't win anything next year we'll see key players and possibly the manager moving on then.

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

For Dembele lovers on here, he wants to move to China for a end of career payday.

Team starting to break up a little. Think if they don't win anything next year we'll see key players and possibly the manager moving on then.

I think it will happen this summer. I can see Dembele, Alderweireld, Rose and Eriksen all leaving. Hopefully Ponchettino goes too and that weasel Daniel Levy is left with an implosion on his hands. If I was a Spurs player I'd be fuming he's paying himself £135K a week while the "wage structure" means players like Kane and Alli are getting less than half of what they could be getting elsewhere.

21 hours ago, bobzy said:

I like Spurs.  They're fairly unassuming

That 'fairly' is doing a lot of work.

Edited by coda

3 hours ago, villa89 said:

I think it will happen this summer. I can see Dembele, Alderweireld, Rose and Eriksen all leaving. Hopefully Ponchettino goes too and that weasel Daniel Levy is left with an implosion on his hands. If I was a Spurs player I'd be fuming he's paying himself £135K a week while the "wage structure" means players like Kane and Alli are getting less than half of what they could be getting elsewhere.

But so what if they're getting less than half of what they could elsewhere?  Well done chairman for having the balls to stand up to the completely outrageous wage demands that people have these days.  Alexis Sanchez is probably being paid £300k/wk at Man Utd - well done Levy for keeping Kane "down" (lol) at £150k/wk or whatever.

Runs club well, gets criticised.  Game truly is gone.

12 minutes ago, bobzy said:

But so what if they're getting less than half of what they could elsewhere?  Well done chairman for having the balls to stand up to the completely outrageous wage demands that people have these days.  Alexis Sanchez is probably being paid £300k/wk at Man Utd - well done Levy for keeping Kane "down" (lol) at £150k/wk or whatever.

I also think it's fairly well reported that the Spurs players' salaries are highly influenced by incentive bonuses.

So Kane's basic salary seems pretty low (relative to Footballer wages) but his goals/appearances/assists/england caps/whatever bonuses are really high and top the salary up quite significantly.

I agree that it's a good way to run a club. You might miss out on the odd superstar here and there but it ensures you get players in the door who want it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's all well and good him taking the high road (while giving himself a wage above that of his players, but I digress ...), but he's doing it in a climate where his competitors are not.  He's paying less than the market rate.  So it's not a level playing field.  Kyle Walker was the first of many.  His ex-teammates have just seen him win the league while earning probably triple what they're on.  These are short careers.  Yes hats off to Daniel Levy.  If you can get away with it while still raking in the Premier League fortunes for your shareholders then more power to you.  But there is a time limit on how long the current squad will be happy as a group.  Not to mention the time limit on how long rival clubs will stay away.  Those players will want to win trophies and earn what they can while they can.  They'll do neither of those things at Levy's Spurs.

Spurs won't pay the money, not only in wages but in replacement players.  Alderweireld is heading for the exit.  His replacement is Sanchez.  He's very good, but he's no Alderweireld.  Eriksen is being heavily linked to some European powerhouses so he may be gone at some point soon.  That might burst the dam.  Spurs got lucky having Kane in their academy.  He cost them nothing.  The odds are they probably don't have another one.  So they'll have to buy.  Even if there was a ready-made Kane replacement they'd probably not be front of the queue to land him and that's assuming they'd be willing to pay the asking price.

Spurs are at their peak at the moment.  The only way is down.  Unless they loosen the purse strings with this new stadium and start to pay their current players the market rate, and offer new players the same, then they'll lose what they have and replace it with a little worse each time.

There's no denying Daniel Levy deserves massive credit for getting them this far, but I think this is the point in their development where his M.O. stops being a help and starts being a hindrance.

• Like 2

Â