VillaGoMarching

16 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I mean maybe, purely because they were given as fouls, but Cash won the ball and Kamara played the ball with Porro kicking his studs - either as a second yellow would be ridiculous.

yeah i agree

because they were given as fouls the question should be asked but in reality neither of them were even fouls

1 hour ago, useless said:

As for Spurs as a team they kind of reminded me of Bielsa's Leeds and the game followed a similar pattern to a number of Leeds games when Bielsa was there, that is they start all out attack at an hundred miles an hour, but if they don't take their chances they will be in trouble, as second half will tire, which is what happened, playing like that might also see them not only tire in the second half of games but also the second half of the season as an whole.

my sentiments too.

I still think we need some personnel to bring in (squad) to help us with teams like that...as we won't always be able to to ride our luck, like we did.

Edited by TRO

Son seems like he's overcompensating for losing the half yard of acceleration that would allow him to time his runs from a bit deeper. Against an offside trap very closely coached to always be positioned and alert for the moment the passer is initiating a through ball, he ends up looking like a clown (with unnervingly good but ultimately meaningless finishing). Not saying he's exactly slow but he looked weirdly sluggish for a lot of the last Villa Park game. The diagonal lofted balls were a lot trickier to track and eg Udogie had the tools to power through from behind the line and get in on goal

Cash's tackle was ugly and cynical and their fans are well within their rights to be a mad at him just like we would be if it was one of ours. It's still just a nailed-on yellow though regardless of the typical clamour for the laws of the game to be rewritten on the spot from aggrieved home fans and weird BBC Sport Get Involved daytrippers who don't watch many games

The elbow, I'm sympathetic to the idea that Gil was stumbling forward, Carlos didn't know his face was there, and Gil had a bit of a think and was then like "oh no I've uh been shot". Could've been looked at if the comms were back up, buuuut whatever, they owed us a penalty from Harold Kane's final act at Villa Park anyway

Edited by Annoyman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Annoyman said:

Son seems like he's overcompensating for losing the half yard of acceleration that would allow him to time his runs from a bit deeper. Against an offside trap very closely coached to always be positioned and alert for the moment the passer is initiating a through ball, he ends up looking like a clown (with unnervingly good but ultimately meaningless finishing). Not saying he's exactly slow but he looked weirdly sluggish for a lot of the last Villa Park game. The diagonal lofted balls were a lot trickier to track and eg Udogie had the tools to power through from behind the line and get in on goal

Cash's tackle was ugly and cynical and their fans are well within their rights to be a mad at him just like we would be if it was one of ours. It's still just a nailed-on yellow though regardless of the typical clamour for the laws of the game to be rewritten on the spot from aggrieved home fans and weird BBC Sport Get Involved daytrippers who don't watch many games

The elbow, I'm sympathetic to the idea that Gil was stumbling forward, Carlos didn't know his face was there, and Gil had a bit of a think and was then like "oh no I've uh been shot". Could've been looked at if the comms were back up, buuuut whatever, they owed us a penalty from Harold Kane's final act at Villa Park anyway

I watched the Gil incident again, and Carlos doesn't look back. He has no idea Gil's face is where it is, so for me it's a racing incident. Correct decision from the refs. 

When I watched MOTD I was expecting Cash's tackle to be horrendous, based on what I'd heard on here and from Spuds fans, but if i'm honest it was a yellow all day long. Cynical maybe, but it was just a late challenge that tripped the man. I will see 5 or 6 of those during a standard weekend of football. 

• Like 1

so after all the hate towards cash (and his family) from rattled spurs fans for crippling bentacur, turns out he has a minor bruise and will be fine for the weekend. what a load of fuss over nothing

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, useless said:

As for Spurs as a team they kind of reminded me of Bielsa's Leeds and the game followed a similar pattern to a number of Leeds games when Bielsa was there, that is they start all out attack at an hundred miles an hour, but if they don't take their chances they will be in trouble, as second half will tire, which is what happened, playing like that might also see them not only tire in the second half of games but also the second half of the season as an whole.

Yep, Angeball is very reminiscent of Bielsaball with how unsustainable it is. Leeds fans never turned on El Loco Bucketo cos he got them back in the Prem and they looked competitive in most games (until they blew up spectacularly). Ange doesn't have that much credit in the bank though and looking at Spurs' fixtures in December and their injuries I could see them being close to the bottom half by January. I wonder how long the fans will be happy with 'brave' defeats and trusting the process...

5 hours ago, Cizzler said:

I think it's really close - which shows how far we've come in a short space of time.

Their back 5 is excellent, they just have zero depth for it. Vicario is a massive step-up from Lloris. Porro and Udogie look like excellent full-backs (I think both would start for us - depending if Moreno can re-discover the form he finished last year in). Romero is a good CB (bit reckless, but a decent player) and they've been waxing lyrical about Van Der Wen all year as signing of the summer.

In midfield, Bissouma is now playing a lot better, Bentancur is a very good player and Maddison is class. That's a good midfield three, and Sarr and Lo Celso is okay depth.

They're probably weakest in the front 3. Son is an excellent finisher, but struggles to play wide and his hold-up play is poor. Kulusevski is decent, but quite slow. Brennan Johnson unproven and Richarlison was an over-pay.

A combined XI is tough - as a lot of the calls are 50/50, and each team's fans will just back the players they see every week.

I think only Martinez, Porro, Maddison and Diaby would be undisputed starters in both teams. All of the others are genuine coin tosses and a Spurs fan will go one way, a Villa fan the other (Konsa v Romero, Van Der Wen vs. Torres, Udogie vs. Moreno, Kamara vs. Bissouma, Douglas Luiz vs. Bentancur, Son vs. Watkins).

Yes. Definately a different view if you look through white specs rather than claret and blue.  I would take McGinn over Maddison , Luiz over Bentancur and Kamara over Bissouma every day of the week just as they would do the opposite.  Fullbacks are stronger but as a 4 their centre backs are weaker. The Irony of us having Lenglet as an unused sub  while they played 2 fullbacks at centrehalf should not be lost. 

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

That Cash tackle was a pure yellow, cynical and pointless, but an everyday nothing foul most of the time, and now with the news that Bentancur is ok it looks like Spurs fans got conned by their own player not being able to take a knock

Think they were particularly pissed just because it was Cash, and I can see why, with the history and Doherty, imagine how we'd be reacting if Mee took one of our players out of the game.

13 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Think they were particularly pissed just because it was Cash, and I can see why, with the history and Doherty, imagine how we'd be reacting if Mee took one of our players out of the game.

I like how Matty Cash is The Most Evil Footballer of All Time to Spurs fans. And yet when it comes to their own Christian Romero, who's good for about 2 reds and 15 yellows a season: 'you wouldn't want to take that aggression out of his game...'

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

I like how Matty Cash is The Most Evil Footballer of All Time to Spurs fans. And yet when it comes to their own Christian Romero, who's good for about 2 reds and 15 yellows a season: 'you wouldn't want to take that aggression out of his game...'

And Harry Kane making all them dodgy tackles while players were in mid air

• Like 2

19 hours ago, bobzy said:

I mean maybe, purely because they were given as fouls, but Cash won the ball and Kamara played the ball with Porro kicking his studs - either as a second yellow would be ridiculous.

Getting another player is unfortunate and it absolutely was a poor challenge by Cash, but it's never a red card.

Also, as if they're complaining about any sort of discipline issue when they have **** Romero in their ranks :crylaugh: 

Seen a few say we're the dirtiest team in the league. We're not even top 15 IIRC :D And Spurs are 2nd.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, duke313 said:

I can't recall a saltier bunch of fans after we've beat them, Newcastle last season maybe?

In fairness and despite some lingering 'sob on the Tyne' bitterness, I think the majority of their fans accepted they were well beaten that day and they were soon distracted by their own CL qualification.

50 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Seen a few say we're the dirtiest team in the league. We're not even top 15 IIRC :D And Spurs are 2nd.

Brighton fans said something similar after (one of our many) victories against them recently. I think that some fanbases start to believe their own hype a little too much - especially when the media tells them that they play the best, most exciting and 'purest' football in the league - and then when another (non 'elite') team beats them routinely then it MUST be because that team is dirty and overly physical and not because they're a good side in their own right and have the darling team's number....

16 hours ago, KentVillan said:

That Cash tackle was a pure yellow, cynical and pointless, but an everyday nothing foul most of the time, and now with the news that Bentancur is ok it looks like Spurs fans got conned by their own player not being able to take a knock

Exactly. I've noticed a change over recent years - too many instances of what are clear yellow card fouls being claimed as possible reds. I suspect it's caused by the fans tending towards exaggeration to get noticed above all the other noise on social media and the media pundits need to add controversial talk points to drive up viewing numbers and clickbait.

Cash's tackle was calculated and late but not forcefully uncontrolled or dangerous play. His tackle was just one of the many footballing offences that yellow cards are for.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

The bit that annoys me about the cash tackle is the Spurs fans moaning that he was just back form injury so Cash should have gone easy on him.

Nope.

If he's on the pitch he'll be treated like any other player. If he is still too fragile he shouldn't be on the pitch. Simple enough

It's an important point to make for any contact sport.

In the NRL down here (rugby league), if someone is coming back from an injury, you can be sure the opposition will "test it out" to see how well they have recovered.

• Like 1

Â