VillaGoMarching

44 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Aside from the Cash tackle, which was a textbook yellow (which he got), what else are they complaining about? On the fouls count we were roughly equal (our 13 to to their 11).

Yeah they really shouldn't have much to complain about except their own finishing and that Cash tackle which he got penalized for too, and rightly so.

Edited by osmark86

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Didn't need VAR for any of Son's.

Yeah, exactly that.

Needed VAR to pick a less favourable camera angle to draw lines and deny us a goal from Watkins.

Son's attempts? Even the worst linesman would call those correctly. The very definition of clear and obvious

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

Aside from the Cash tackle, which was a textbook yellow (which he got), what else are they complaining about? On the fouls count we were roughly equal (our 13 to to their 11).

I think we'd have some fans screaming bloody murder too if their CB caught one of our forwards with an elbow in the box. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think we'd have some fans screaming bloody murder too if their CB caught one of our forwards with an elbow in the box. 

I suspect a number of our fans would consider this a foul if the shirt colours were switched 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I suspect a number of our fans would consider this a foul if the shirt colours were switched 

I think the commentator said was a technical issue with VAR at the start of the game

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think the commentator said was a technical issue with VAR at the start of the game

Arteta and Klopp would be addressing the nation, Kings speech style, if that happened to them. Would have been more than the reason they lost. 😂

10 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

With Kane they would have won 4 or 5 .but they dont have him anymore. Due to their money greedy Levy holding out for every penny for Kane and then replacing him with Manor Solomon amd then Brennan Johnson late in the window after any decent strikers had already moved. 

Being a good chairman is about timing alot of the time. Making the right decision at the right time. He made the wrong decision  when he reneged on the gentlemans agreement for Kane to join a big club 2 years ago and he made the wrong decision to hold out for every penny for Kane.

Look at their squad. They earn 100 mill more revenue  a year than us but their squad is arguably poorer than ours. 

I think it's really close - which shows how far we've come in a short space of time.

Their back 5 is excellent, they just have zero depth for it. Vicario is a massive step-up from Lloris. Porro and Udogie look like excellent full-backs (I think both would start for us - depending if Moreno can re-discover the form he finished last year in). Romero is a good CB (bit reckless, but a decent player) and they've been waxing lyrical about Van Der Wen all year as signing of the summer.

In midfield, Bissouma is now playing a lot better, Bentancur is a very good player and Maddison is class. That's a good midfield three, and Sarr and Lo Celso is okay depth.

They're probably weakest in the front 3. Son is an excellent finisher, but struggles to play wide and his hold-up play is poor. Kulusevski is decent, but quite slow. Brennan Johnson unproven and Richarlison was an over-pay.

A combined XI is tough - as a lot of the calls are 50/50, and each team's fans will just back the players they see every week.

I think only Martinez, Porro, Maddison and Diaby would be undisputed starters in both teams. All of the others are genuine coin tosses and a Spurs fan will go one way, a Villa fan the other (Konsa v Romero, Van Der Wen vs. Torres, Udogie vs. Moreno, Kamara vs. Bissouma, Douglas Luiz vs. Bentancur, Son vs. Watkins).

• Like 2

As for Spurs as a team they kind of reminded me of Bielsa's Leeds and the game followed a similar pattern to a number of Leeds games when Bielsa was there, that is they start all out attack at an hundred miles an hour, but if they don't take their chances they will be in trouble, as second half will tire, which is what happened, playing like that might also see them not only tire in the second half of games but also the second half of the season as an whole.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It looks bad zoomed in and in slow-mo, because you can't see Diego is just stepping across his man and you just see Gil's theatrics. In real time, and if he didn't react like he'd been shot, it honestly doesn't look like a foul. He steps across him and brushes his forearm against a stooping player's face. I genuinely don't think I'd feel hard-done-by if we didn't get that decision. 

The Konsa handball two seconds later is more questionable in my opinion - I've given up trying to understand what's handball and what's not, but clearly hits his arm.

The Cash tackle on Bentancur was a bad one. I can understand why the Spurs fans are annoyed. Clearly heightened emotions because he's a key player who just got back from injury, and he's crocked him. It was correctly given as a yellow though in my opinion. It's rash, but he's not off his feet - he catches him with his shin, not his studs.

I think the ref got the big decisions right.

They were all over us for 30 minutes - but we still had chances (Pau from the Digne free kick, disallowed Watkins goal by milimetres). In hindsight, their only goal came from a wicked deflection and they were offside a lot. The fact the linesmen waits for the move to end (as they're instructed to do) makes it seem like we're under floods of pressure - when we aren't. The Chelsea game was similar. For Son's miss over the bar, Porro was clearly offside.

I thought the second half was very even. We both hit the post. Watkins missed two headers. Martinez made a great double-save. Not much in it.

6 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Is Heung Min Son a bit stupid?

The reason I ask is he looks so gormless and has frequently being flagged for offside; I'm sure this happened last season too.

He's just like most forwards, sometimes goes too early to get that extra half a yard.

Ollie is the same a bit given how tight the offsides with him are. It was a shame yesterday as it was another brilliant cross from Digne and he was completely unmarked between their two CBs so he didn't need to move forward as quickly as he did so we could've been 1-1 straight away.

29 minutes ago, useless said:

That close up and it being in slow motion makes it look way worse than it actually was, from open play or from a better angle you can see that Carlos didn't purposely elbow him, he just raised his arm to block the Spurs' players run, something that defenders do all the time, watching it live it looked to me more like the Spurs player running into his arm as much as anything else and Carlos shoving him off.

I know people want to show that they're not biased, or don't have Villa specs on, or are balanced or whatever, but it really wasn't a big deal, just a coming together, if anything I don't think the Spurs player helped his cause either, as you him pause after the contact and then react by holding his face, makes it look even more like he's trying to con the officials

Of course if it had happened to one of our players I'd want a penalty, but would also aknowledge we would be incredibly lucky to get one in a clash like that.

yep, Carlos stepped across and put his arm across him to block him off, its not an elbow, also not sure why Gil was so low down, if Gil was stood up straight that arm is going across his body

its a massive stretch to say that's a foul

if i was a spurs fan it would be the lack of a 2nd yellow card for cash and kamara that would piss me off, being a villa fan i didnt even think they were fouls, especially the kamara on porro one, if thats a foul then thats a yellow (it wasnt a foul he cleanly won the ball and in fairness to him kamara was "late" because he had his shirt pulled)

• Like 2

I think most spurs fans is happy about this.

Finishing around 5th while playing attacking football. Win some lose some.

That's the Spurs identity I've grown up on since the early 2000's

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

yep, Carlos stepped across and put his arm across him to block him off, its not an elbow, also not sure why Gil was so low down, if Gil was stood up straight that arm is going across his body

its a massive stretch to say that's a foul

if i was a spurs fan it would be the lack of a 2nd yellow card for cash and kamara that would piss me off, being a villa fan i didnt even think they were fouls, especially the kamara on porro one, if thats a foul then thats a yellow (it wasnt a foul he cleanly won the ball and in fairness to him kamara was "late" because he had his shirt pulled)

I mean maybe, purely because they were given as fouls, but Cash won the ball and Kamara played the ball with Porro kicking his studs - either as a second yellow would be ridiculous.

Getting another player is unfortunate and it absolutely was a poor challenge by Cash, but it's never a red card.

Also, as if they're complaining about any sort of discipline issue when they have **** Romero in their ranks :crylaugh: 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Finishing around 5th while playing attacking football. Win some lose some.

That's the Spurs identity I've grown up on since the early 2000's

Yep that and winning absolutely nothing as well. 

• Like 1

Â