Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Just now, It's Your Round said:

It’s never just to that shop, it’s always every other shop within 3 square miles. 

I started to feel a little bit guilty so thought I’d offer that as “if you want to do something else as well then maybe we could all go” but as she blanked me I just watched the football at home instead :lol: 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

When a motorway goes up to 4 lanes, why do 90% of drivers ignore the inside lane? 

**** grinds my gears

My wife can't get her head round the fact that the leftmost lane is called the 'inside' lane. 

Just now, bickster said:

She's right though isn't she, it really should be called the nearside lane

She particularly hates the nearside/offside thing. She always "Near what? Off what? What's wrong with 'left' and 'right'?" 

TBF, I think she has a point. 

29 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

She particularly hates the nearside/offside thing. She always "Near what? Off what? What's wrong with 'left' and 'right'?" 

TBF, I think she has a point. 

I hate that. Just say drivers side / passenger side, then there’s no confusion. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bickster said:
49 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

My wife can't get her head round the fact that the leftmost lane is called the 'inside' lane. 

She's right though isn't she, it really should be called the nearside lane

Well it is both in fairness.

What I find weird is how some people's brains seem to flip the lanes when talking about roundabouts. The outside lane of the road approaching the roundabout becomes the inside lane of the roundabout. They refer to the lane closest to the physical roundabout as the inside lane because it's the inside of the circle around the roundabout, even though it's still technically the outside lane of the road.  I guess there's a logic to it even if they're wrong.

• Like 2

On 14/10/2022 at 10:36, StefanAVFC said:

Before I say anything, I admit I made a mistake but the circumstances sucked and the proportion of the potential punishment really pisses me off.

Over here, people are not safe drivers at all. People speed like crazy, overtake, swerve around, undertake; basically everything reckless drivers do but to a ridiculous extent. The stats support it. The government decided to tackle this with new extreme laws to mostly protect civilians. The flagship policy was making it illegal not to stop for a pedestrian even just stood at a crossing. Before it was only when the pedestrian was already on the crossing. A logical rule but the fine with 3000 zloty (around 500 quid) plus 60% of your point allocation to lose your licence. Other rules here are if you're speeding and not stopping, and if it's a two lane road, and another car is stopped and you don't, for the same punishment. No idea if these stack.

I bloody always stop. Even if the person is just walking on the pavement near the crossing; the rule is so extreme, I don't want to risk. On the flipside, I see people not stopping all of the time, even when I'm a pedestrian.

Last month, I was driving on one of the main roads, and there was a large junction with traffic lights. The crossings here are with lights, so the rules above don't need to apply as there's red and green for cars/pedestrians. However, the lights were off, so i was driving through normally. A car turned into the (2 lane) road and had stopped for a workman on the junction, but I didn't see him so I carried on through. It felt a bit weird but I didn't think too much of it.

Yesterday, banging on the door at 8am. 2 policemen wanting to talk to me about this situation. I need to know what proof they have, whether it's just a picture or video or whatever. But I'm shitting myself. I made a mistake, but this guy was stood on the side of the road, there was no danger and nothing happened. But I didn't stop (1 offence), and someone else had stopped (1 offence) so potentially it's a grand fine and I lose my licence, for basically nothing. For comparison, I;d have to be caught speeding 15 times to get the same amount of punishment. Driving without insurance is less than a third of it. Drink driving, half as severe.

Banging on my door at 8am and potentially losing my licence for that.

If I lose my licence over something so innocuous, **** me.

So I went to the police today.

I maintained that I didn't remember who was driving my car that day. He pulled out dash cam footage that showed the offence but not my face. I escaped personal punishment but as the owner of the car, a offence was committed so I have to pay. It's a smaller fine (and no penalty points) but still 375 quid FFS.

What pisses me off most is the circumstances of what I did. Looking at the video, I was ridiculously unlucky.

1) all of the traffic lights were off so all of the timed crossings became pedestrian priority.

2) Two lane road, guy on the right (who snitched on me, word removed) was stopped so he was blocking my view of the pedestrian

3) A guy in my lane, who could see everything didn't stop (when he should have) and he also blocked my view of what was going on

If any one of those 3 didn't happen, I wouldn't have had any issues.

Taking it insanely carefully on crossings from now on. Also gonna snitch on anyone I catch on my dashcam.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I maintained that I didn't remember who was driving my car that day. He pulled out dash cam footage that showed the offence but not my face. I escaped personal punishment but as the owner of the car, a offence was committed so I have to pay. It's a smaller fine (and no penalty points) but still 375 quid FFS.

What pisses me off most is the circumstances of what I did. Looking at the video, I was ridiculously unlucky.

1) all of the traffic lights were off so all of the timed crossings became pedestrian priority.

2) Two lane road, guy on the right (who snitched on me, word removed) was stopped so he was blocking my view of the pedestrian

3) A guy in my lane, who could see everything didn't stop (when he should have) and he also blocked my view of what was going on

Taking it insanely carefully on crossings from now on. Also gonna snitch on anyone I catch on my dashcam.

As you’ve already confessed in writing to driving the car  , best hope the punishment for perjury in Poland isn’t harsh :)

I’d just assumed the rozzers had seen you do it , being grassed up by another motorist , I’m quite staggered by that  , I mean presumably they saw it happen and then went out of their way to go to a police station and show their dash cam footage to them ? 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

As you’ve already confessed in writing to driving the car  , best hope the punishment for perjury in Poland isn’t harsh :)

I’d just assumed the rozzers had seen you do it , being grassed up by another motorist , I’m quite staggered by that  , I mean presumably they saw it happen and then went out of their way to go to a police station and show their dash cam footage to them ? 

I saw a video the other day in New York (I think). If you report a car parked illegally you get 20% of the fine. So there’s people riding around on bikes, taking photos of illegally parked cars and making a few dollars with a nice side hustle.

59 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Yep exactly what's happened.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Genie said:

I saw a video the other day in New York (I think). If you report a car parked illegally you get 20% of the fine. So there’s people riding around on bikes, taking photos of illegally parked cars and making a few dollars with a nice side hustle.

Yeah, read about this a while ago. I would **** love it if we could do that here. The infrastructure/setup costs are negligible and the wins are enormous. It's a no brainer for me. Park lie a word removed cos you think  the parking people probably won't get to you?? Think again. I have zero sympathy.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I think I’d be a millionaire in a week if I could do that in Birmingham!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Snitches get stitches.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Tescos stopping selling whiskers cat food, so I have to go out of my way to Morrisons because my stupid cat will not eat anything but whiskers 😡

I have the perfect solution.

It's called "a quick trip to the vets" then get a new cat. 

• Shocked 1

5 hours ago, Anthony said:

Yeah, read about this a while ago. I would **** love it if we could do that here. The infrastructure/setup costs are negligible and the wins are enormous. It's a no brainer for me. Park lie a word removed cos you think  the parking people probably won't get to you?? Think again. I have zero sympathy.

Wow - love thy neighbor is alive and well in Anthony land.

• Haha 2

Â