Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

That's true, but the real time traffic has saved me many, many hours when there is a problem on the motorways.

Waze is better at real time traffic than Google (both google products)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Cheers, I'll check that out.

I have a 42 mile each way commute so these things are a life saver.

Waze uses real time data from current users of the App, Google seems to rely on historical averages mixed in with highways agency reports etc. (that's my own empirical conclusions)

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Xann said:

Satnavs have devalued local knowledge somewhat.

"I know away around this. Shit, so does everyone else".

They move traffic problems to new and interesting places, like housing estates and country villages.

Same goes for general knowledge.

You don't have to know what the capital of Zimbabwe is - Alexa will tell you.
Remember that family treasure Grandma's old apple cake recipie? Naaah, google Jamie Olivier on BBC Food.
Want to build own opinion based on facts and research? Why, Rihanna has just tweeted what you should think.

We don't have to know anything because we can all know everything at a touch of a button. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Remember that family treasure Grandma's old apple cake recipie? Naaah, google Jamie Olivier on BBC Food.
Want to build own opinion based on facts and research? Why, Rihanna has just tweeted what you should think.

We don't have to know anything because we can all know everything at a touch of a button. 

You don't need to know multiplication tables, because calculators. 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

You don't need to know multiplication tables, because calculators. 

My Mrs did 4 years of maths at uni and I always tell her it was a wasted time, might as well use a mobile phone 😂

4 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I've done a few quiz nights with work colleagues and always find it astonishing how little general knowledge people younger than me usually have (with the odd exception). I'm talking people in their 30's. 

Sure, you don't need to know the capital city of every country in the world or be able to identify every flag in Africa or be able to recall what year certain things happened but it doesn't hurt! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Xela said:

I've done a few quiz nights with work colleagues and always find it astonishing how little general knowledge people younger than me usually have (with the odd exception). I'm talking people in their 30's. 

Sure, you don't need to know the capital city of every country in the world or be able to identify every flag in Africa or be able to recall what year certain things happened but it doesn't hurt! 

My brian seems to enjoy retaining the most bizarre and useless information. It hated remembering academic type facts that I needed to pass exams

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

My Mrs did 4 years of maths at uni and I always tell her it was a wasted time, might as well use a mobile phone 😂

yeah but now she knows how to work out the area below a graph which im sure she uses on a daily basis

I quit during A levels, im good at maths but there was so much shit that I thought I would never have to use so I found it boring

as for the rest of your original post - I think knowledge of trivial things has been replaced by a knowledge of knowing where to acquire pieces of information, Jamie oliver's apple cake recipe for example, nah I know a better one on this other youtube cooking channel that's awesome but its new so no one else has heard of it, funny that the other conversation going on is people knowing waze is better than google, that kind of thing is more prevalent now, its not I know a better way its I know which app will show us a better way, the bravado element of it is still the same

Edited by villa4europe

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

funny that the other conversation going on is people knowing waze is better than google, that kind of thing is more prevalent now, its not I know a better way its I know which app will show us a better way, the bravado element of it is still the same

Not really correct, prior to Sat Nav, we had maps, there were different versions of maps for different things, you bought the map that suited your purpose best. Comparing Apps for this purpose, is the modern equivalent of choosing the correct map for its intended purpose. This is no modern phenomenon, it's the same as it ever was

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not really correct, prior to Sat Nav, we had maps, there were different versions of maps for different things, you bought the map that suited your purpose best. 

Some of us still do!  

11 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Some of us still do!  

I maintain that I rarely need to. Locally the only time is resort to an App or a Map is when I have customers similar to those I described previously.

I'm also fairly good at looking something up on a map before I set off and not having to look at it again. If I go wrong i have a particularly good awareness of geography and spatial awareness to know how to get back on track

It's kind of always been my Super Power

40 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm also fairly good at looking something up on a map before I set off 

My dad was 75 the other week and we got him a new road atlas for his car as his current one was about 16 years old so he wanted an updated one 

his car has sat nav just he likes to pre plan every route so he knows where he is going as he doesn’t trust sat nav  , drives me mad , when my folks come with us to visit Mrs h29’s parents in Hungary  he sits there in the front seat with his atlas telling me directions via his map for a journey I’ve done about 976 times , whilst telling me to slow down as he couldn’t read that street sign as I was going too fast , the journey is only mildly improved by listening to him trying to pronounce some of the Hungarian town names :) 

im praying it isn’t hereditary 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm pretty much halfway between Bicks and Tony's dad. Mostly know my way around, might check an atlas before a journey into unknown territory. I may resort to satnav if I have to navigate a strange town or city's one way system. 

• Like 3

I do a little bit of driving and some of it is to rate potential new sites for a couple of retailers.

They’ll often try and give me all the post code and street view screen grabs etc., but I rarely use it. If I can’t find it without a satellite then it’s not likely to get the amount of trade they’re looking for. Doesn’t always work, I have rocked up in Merry Hill thinking it was Brierly Hill.

• Haha 1

This seemingly new approach of releasing albums via streaming but the physical copies aren’t available until ages later.

Nick Cave, The Comet is Coming, I’m looking at you!

A week or two early, I kinda get the logic. And I can avoid listening to those albums for that space of time. But a month or more? I’ll just give in, listen to them and then all the mystery is gone and I’m less likely to buy as I like the element of surprise

• Like 4

Â