Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

. . . and the complaint would still be rubbish. The BBC is 'overexposing' women's sport (ha!) because they are trying to create a market for interest in it. 

You complain that women's football gets more coverage than European football on the BBC website. To which my answer is, it hardly emphasises it, firstly, and secondly, there are approximately 10,000 other websites dealing with European football. You're really not being deprived. One recent study of national newspaper stories (summarised here) found that coverage of men's sport outweighs women's sport by 20-to-1. I'm not going to lie, it seems extremely churlish to try to remove the 3% of total coverage that they currently get. 

Probably both demand and supply side issues for this. Supply is low, it's not that easy to find women's sport (outside of say, tennis), policies like the BBC's is to get it 'out there' more. 

But then the demand for it is also low. No one really cares for women's sport if it isn't tennis or the novelty of the Olympics. Boosting the supply IMO won't do too much to boost the demand for it. Men are objectively better at all of the mainstream sports out there so a much inferior offering of e.g. football is a hard sell.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

14 minutes ago, Meath_Villan said:

Went to the atm to take money out and walked away leaving it in the **** machine !!!!

It should suck it back it in and not debit your account. Unless someone swiped it!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Probably both demand and supply side issues for this. Supply is low, it's not that easy to find women's sport (outside of say, tennis), policies like the BBC's is to get it 'out there' more. 

But then the demand for it is also low. No one really cares for women's sport if it isn't tennis or the novelty of the Olympics. Boosting the supply IMO won't do too much to boost the demand for it. Men are objectively better at all of the mainstream sports out there so a much inferior offering of e.g. football is a hard sell.

I agree with all of that, but the counterpoint is that it's still possible to enjoy an 'inferior' product. I'm under no illusions that Serena is a 'better' tennis player than Djokovic - of course, he can hit the ball harder, move faster, and if they played each other, he would win. But I still enjoy watching Serena play tennis. 

It's never going to happen that women's sport will reach 50% of the world's attention. But when it currently receives 2.9% of the media attention devoted to sport in the UK, there is in fact fairly clearly considerable room to experiment with whether increasing the audience's awareness of women's sport might lead to greater interest in it - and indeed, the evidence suggests it does. 

The initial complaint was about the BBC showing too much women's sport. But the BBC's job is not simply to show only the most populist entertainment - per its' charter, it has several other roles to play as well. It has to 'inform, educate and entertain', in the Reithian formula, which means not just the most popular thing at any one moment. Showing women's football that gets poor viewing figures currently, in an attempt to create awareness (and potentially a future market for coverage), is entirely within the BBC's purposes. A further complaint was that coverage of women's football is more prominent than European football - I can't actually see any evidence of this looking at the 'football' homepage, but let's assume it's true for the sake of argument. It remains true that British women pay a licence to watch TV, just as much as British men do. There's no reason for them to be locked out of the nation's sports coverage. European people, by and large, don't pay a licence fee. 

Again, if people don't like it, they really can turn it off. 

The problem with the BBC's decision to  over-promote women's sport is not about the sport per se it is the fact that whenever they slip yet another advert in, you can't avoiding hearing the hectoring and strident voice telling you to watch it, not because you might like it but out of obligation to their politically correct agenda.

As an ardent follower of the England women's football team for many years, I thought last summer's World Cup was ruined by the way the reporting and promotion was taken over by the gender agenda. 

The suspicion is that the people who impose these agendas on the rest of us have absolutely no interest in the sport in question and never watch it themselves.

15 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I agree with all of that, but the counterpoint is that it's still possible to enjoy an 'inferior' product. I'm under no illusions that Serena is a 'better' tennis player than Djokovic - of course, he can hit the ball harder, move faster, and if they played each other, he would win. But I still enjoy watching Serena play tennis. 

It's never going to happen that women's sport will reach 50% of the world's attention. But when it currently receives 2.9% of the media attention devoted to sport in the UK, there is in fact fairly clearly considerable room to experiment with whether increasing the audience's awareness of women's sport might lead to greater interest in it - and indeed, the evidence suggests it does. 

The initial complaint was about the BBC showing too much women's sport. But the BBC's job is not simply to show only the most populist entertainment - per its' charter, it has several other roles to play as well. It has to 'inform, educate and entertain', in the Reithian formula, which means not just the most popular thing at any one moment. Showing women's football that gets poor viewing figures currently, in an attempt to create awareness (and potentially a future market for coverage), is entirely within the BBC's purposes. A further complaint was that coverage of women's football is more prominent than European football - I can't actually see any evidence of this looking at the 'football' homepage, but let's assume it's true for the sake of argument. It remains true that British women pay a licence to watch TV, just as much as British men do. There's no reason for them to be locked out of the nation's sports coverage. European people, by and large, don't pay a licence fee. 

Again, if people don't like it, they really can turn it off. 

My complaint wasn't about BBC showing too much women's sport, as I don't watch the BBC on TV, it was about how hard the BBC Sport website was pushing it, although I didn't make that clear (different sides of the same coin I guess). As stated before I have no issue with them reporting on it, it just seems as though they have been told to push it as headline news as hard as possible. The headline now on the BBC Sport website is the women's T20 cricket result. Yesterday afternoon one of the main stories was a women's hockey game. Is that really headline news? 

It smacks of quota filling and tokenism in my mind. But, for once, it perfectly fits in with the title of this thread :)

Edited by Xela
  • Like 2

This ebolaids man flu I have. I can't chance a fart and my nose is streaming non stop.

I've had to call in sick for tomorrow which is another thing because I hate doing it because I feel guilty, but f*** am singing 5 little monkeys to 15 kids with my effluence hitting their faces like the Hadron collider blew up.

On the plus side, Bulgaria has hardcore sexy time channels after midnight.

Â