Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

You're right, my comment was unfair. It just irks me (a lot) that so many people, still, in the year 2016, have this idea that 'sport's not for girls'. 

That's not what he's saying.

BBC's coverage annoys me too.

I have no problem with them giving it coverage, increasing it or trying to get people interested.

But for me they are overexposing it. Women's football gets more coverage on their website than european football.

It's not a gender thing, it's the BBC giving way more column inches to something that doesn't have the support to back it up. It would be the same if they were pushing tiddlywinks really hard. The complaint would be the same thing.

• Like 1

In fact the phrase "going forward" seriously hacks me off. STOP SAYING IT. Instead say nothing or if you must, say "in the future, or in future, but it really isn't necessary. Time only goes one way (except when the clocks change), so it's completely unnecessary.

Also people starting sentences with "So".

"How did you make that Claire?"

"So, I got all the ingredients together then I...."

1 hour ago, blandy said:

In fact the phrase "going forward" seriously hacks me off. STOP SAYING IT. Instead say nothing or if you must, say "in the future, or in future, but it really isn't necessary. Time only goes one way (except when the clocks change), so it's completely unnecessary.

I know this purely through QI, but have just looked it up to confirm.

The Aymara people, mainly of Bolivia but also Peru, Chile and Argentina view time differently to us. They consider the future to be behind us and the past in front of us. 

The suggestion, which makes sense thinking about it, is the past has happened and can be "seen" while the future is unknown and cannot be seen.

I know this doesn't help you out, but I thought it may be something to consider going forward (or backwards) ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Oh man,  this x 1000!!!

This irritates me much more than it should but I just can't ignore it.

When did 'in the future' become redundant?

I think the people who spout this rubbish believe they are sounding intellectual, & modern.

It's part of this whole new modern corporate chatter that is designed to fool us into thinking the 'spouter' knows what they're talking about.

(See our own fantastic Mr Fox!)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Oh I forgot to mention when the sales girl in my local electrical store told me i would be 'future proofing' myself by purchasing a 4k tv.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

That's not what he's saying.

BBC's coverage annoys me too.

I have no problem with them giving it coverage, increasing it or trying to get people interested.

But for me they are overexposing it. Women's football gets more coverage on their website than european football.

It's not a gender thing, it's the BBC giving way more column inches to something that doesn't have the support to back it up. It would be the same if they were pushing tiddlywinks really hard. The complaint would be the same thing.

. . . and the complaint would still be rubbish. The BBC is 'overexposing' women's sport (ha!) because they are trying to create a market for interest in it. 

You complain that women's football gets more coverage than European football on the BBC website. To which my answer is, it hardly emphasises it, firstly, and secondly, there are approximately 10,000 other websites dealing with European football. You're really not being deprived. One recent study of national newspaper stories (summarised here) found that coverage of men's sport outweighs women's sport by 20-to-1. I'm not going to lie, it seems extremely churlish to try to remove the 3% of total coverage that they currently get. 

Regarding the terms people use in every day conversation, it must have been mentioned on here before, but the (now accepted) way the word "random" is used.

To save you the bother of having to read/scroll past me droning on, I shall spoiler it.

Spoiler

"Up to anything this weekend?"

"Yeah actually, I'm clay pigeon shooting."

"Really? How random!"

Is it random? If I chose the weekend activity of clay pigeon shooting out of a hat I suppose it could be considered random. Otherwise I'd have described it as unexpected from the other person's viewpoint. It seems that "random" officially means "unexpected" or "unusual".

Another example-

"Who was that who just said hello to you?" 

"Oh just some random bloke."

A stranger then. 

I think I dislike how it sounds within an otherwise normal sentence more than anything else.

To me, "I just randomly met your brother." sounds terrible while "I just had a chance encounter with your brother." works better.

And before anyone says it - yes, what a random thing to piss me off that shouldn't.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The Birmingham Mail are blocking you from reading their articles if you have an ad blocker running. Even if you disable it for any webpages with birmingham mail in the URL.

words removed.

It was a good way to make me just blacklist their URL entirely.

44 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Regarding the terms people use in every day conversation, it must have been mentioned on here before, but the (now accepted) way the word "random" is used.

To save you the bother of having to read/scroll past me droning on, I shall spoiler it.

Reveal hidden contents

"Up to anything this weekend?"

"Yeah actually, I'm clay pigeon shooting."

"Really? How random!"

Is it random? If I chose the weekend activity of clay pigeon shooting out of a hat I suppose it could be considered random. Otherwise I'd have described it as unexpected from the other person's viewpoint. It seems that "random" officially means "unexpected" or "unusual".

Another example-

"Who was that who just said hello to you?" 

"Oh just some random bloke."

A stranger then. 

I think I dislike how it sounds within an otherwise normal sentence more than anything else.

To me, "I just randomly met your brother." sounds terrible while "I just had a chance encounter with your brother." works better.

And before anyone says it - yes, what a random thing to piss me off that shouldn't.

'Epic' is another word that is annoyingly misused.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RimmyJimmer said:

Oh man,  this x 1000!!!

This irritates me much more than it should but I just can't ignore it.

When did 'in the future' become redundant?

I think the people who spout this rubbish believe they are sounding intellectual, & modern.

It's part of this whole new modern corporate chatter that is designed to fool us into thinking the 'spouter' knows what they're talking about.

(See our own fantastic Mr Fox!)

Using language like that is how I got my job in the first place. So, going forward :P i shall continue to do it... but only in work meetings! :D

Edited by Xela

Just now, Milfner said:

The use of 'casually' really boils my piss.

It literally boils my piss

Another word used completely incorrectly

There's a word often used in old books to describe chance happenings and I can't remember what it is but I know it when I see it. As I try to remember it, the word 'providence' comes to mind so think it might be somehow related to that.

15 minutes ago, useless said:

There's a word often used in old books to describe chance happenings and I can't remember what it is but I know it when I see it. As I try to remember it, the word 'providence' comes to mind so think it might be somehow related to that.

Yes, that's the one (although unlike 'chance', 'providence' is a noun, so instead of 'a chance encounter' it would be 'that encounter was the work of providence' or similar). 

• Like 1

Â