Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

This doesn't quite piss me off, but it bewilders me. 

Amazon, and their 'free postage on orders over a tenner' thing. 

I select a CD, and surprise, surprise, it costs £9.99. So I have to go looking for something else as cheap as possible to make up the amount. OK, I find a £2.99 CD in the sale section and add that in. Bob's yer uncle. 

Now I can see that it would be less cost-effective for them to be paying the postage on lots of individual cheap items, so I get the sense of bundling a few together. 

But what happens? The two CDs arrive in separate packages. 

Go figure. 

• Like 1

I select a CD, and surprise, surprise, it costs £9.99. So I have to go looking for something else as cheap as possible to make up the amount. OK, I find a £2.99 CD in the sale section and add that in. Bob's yer uncle. 

Now I can see that it would be less cost-effective for them to be paying the postage on lots of individual cheap items, so I get the sense of bundling a few together. 

Go figure. 

They're just tying to get you to spend more money, obvs.

Amazon massively piss me off. They're blood sucking leeches, who contribute nothing back into our society/coffers.

I now use Play to buy CDs/DVDs etc. (they're also cheaper than Amazon Mike, and you don't have to pay P & P for orders under £10).

• Like 1

Go figure. 

Amazon massively piss me off. They're blood sucking leeches, who contribute nothing back into our society/coffers.

I now use Play to buy CDs/DVDs etc. (they're also cheaper than Amazon Mike, and you don't have to pay P & P for orders under £10).

Weren't Play.com in a similar tax dodging pursuit?

.....and I'm in the very lucky position of being walking distance from a very good friendly independent record store. They just love it when I walk in and ask, what's that one that was on BBC 6 yesterday morning that sort of goes.....or the sort of country one that was on last night's opening credits for Fargo.

Much smugness.

I watched the Argentina game the other night - until Messi made it 2-0. I was horrified and offended to see the big banner that the Argentina fans had up proclaiming,

"Las Malvinas Son Argentine..."

Well, i've got news for you fans. They flipping well ain't yours. And don't go snivelling to the Pope like you did not less than 48 hours after he was appointed Pope - as if him being Argentinian was somehow going to magic THE FALKLANDS back under your crass Junta rulership. Spit on you.

Also, don't UEFA hand out sanctions to teams where their supporters display overt politically sensitive banners? FIFA must act.

Argentina out... Blatter out...

I'm throwing darts at a picture of the Argentine Prime Minister De Kirschner (sic) in my office. I am well wound up.

guess the Argies overlooked the bit where Henry VIII told the pope to jog on 

but my suggestion is if the Argentian football team feel so strongly they can all join the army and be helicopter droped in on Port Stanley once the world cup is over

• Like 2

I watched the Argentina game the other night - until Messi made it 2-0. I was horrified and offended to see the big banner that the Argentina fans had up proclaiming,

"Las Malvinas Son Argentine..."

Well, i've got news for you fans. They flipping well ain't yours. And don't go snivelling to the Pope like you did not less than 48 hours after he was appointed Pope - as if him being Argentinian was somehow going to magic THE FALKLANDS back under your crass Junta rulership. Spit on you.

Also, don't UEFA hand out sanctions to teams where their supporters display overt politically sensitive banners? FIFA must act.

Argentina out... Blatter out...

I'm throwing darts at a picture of the Argentine Prime Minister De Kirschner (sic) in my office. I am well wound up.

But you can't change the rules just because it suits you.

To be sure, wasn't it an English Pope (Adrian IV) who told Henry II he could invade Ireland?

Fair's fair!  ;)

• Like 1

Go figure. 

Weren't Play.com in a similar tax dodging pursuit?

Were they? I don't know. Didn't hear about it if so. Probably though. In which case, where do you go for cheap CDs where the company selling them also contributes to the country(ies) it operates in? Also, PLay have not yet resorted to they £10 minimum for free delivey trick that The Moon Man is falling foul of. Not yet, anyway ....

Did you know the Navy torpedoed a few whales during the Falkands war because they mistook them for enemy submarines?

they were inside the exclusion zone so fair game

• Like 1

It's sound like something from The Thick of It.

if you read it in more detail they actually used a helicopter on one of the attacks  :)

they did also have an instance where a sub collided with a whale and had to return to port for repairs

Did you know the Navy torpedoed a few whales during the Falkands war because they mistook them for enemy submarines?

Probably more humane than a harpoon.

When someone is suprised / amused by my accent.

Yes, I'm from Birmingham.

Yes, I have a Brummie accent.

No, I don't need you to repeat back to me, what I just said in a cod Black Country accent. 

It's not so hard to fathom, it's the second biggest city in the country, and there are approx a million of us.

I have the same work-colleague issue as Seat 68.

The horrid woman that sits in front of me does not stop talking all day, but, she doesn't need anyone else to start a conversation with her. She just talks and talks about nothing.

She'll cough, then say "Ooo a little cough", then "Well, it wasn't even a little cough, it was quite a big one!", then "Ooh, that sounds a bit rude", then "Sorry for lowering the tone everyone!" (though no-one has even acknowledged the initial cough), then "Oh dear, I'm losing it", then "Well, I never even had it!", then she'll finish it off with 10-15 seconds of humming.

Last week she said "People who read the Daily Mail should be shot", followed a few seconds later by "..But, they do have the best gossip column". To top it off, for about half an hour this morning she was reading articles off the Daily Mail website.

The last guy who sat next to her requested to move. I've always thought I was pretty patient, but I'm seriously considering asking to move seats.

AS I TYPE THIS.. She just said she's going next door to get some lunch, and asked if anyone wanted anything, someone said no, then she answered "Oki oki oki doki", then she said "Mindy not worky", then "Deary weary", then she hummed, then she just went "La la lala laaa", then she said "Oops I almost trod on your foot" to someone, then "That would have been bad", then "See you in a bit". And now.. she's gone. Peace and quiet. For 10 minutes.

Kill me now.

She sounds like she's genuinely gone mad.

Like one of those bears who have been kept in captivity for too long.

talking of bears ... I only noticed for the first time today that there is a bear on the Toblerone bar logo ... all those bars  of the stuff I've eaten over the years and never noticed it

The infrastructure and architecture in the UK compared to other countries is abysmal.

Why cant we have big modern skyscraper buildings here like those in shanghai, toronto, even bangkok. Why cant we have efficient, modern sky trains like those in asia. Why cant we have beautiful architecture like in spain and italy?

The UK is miles behind countries in terms of this compared to countries that are supposedly poorer economically then us. The ugliness of our towns and cities is depressing.

Edited by donnie
  • Like 1

The infrastructure and architecture in the UK compared to other countries is abysmal.

Why cant we have big modern skyscraper buildings here like those in shanghai, toronto, even bangkok. Why cant we have efficient, modern sky trains like those in asia. Why cant we have beautiful architecture like in spain and italy?

The UK is miles behind countries in terms of this compared to countries that are supposedly poorer economically then us. The ugliness of our towns and cities is depressing.

The ugliness of our towns and cities is depressing.

you've been to Sheffield I see

but mainly it's because in China if you happen to live in the way they just bulldoze through you

we have plenty of beautiful architecture it's probably the fact that when you live in a country you don't pay it any attention through familiarity , I used to walk past St Paul's cathedral everyday and just sorta take it for granted

it's true the Hungarian parliament building makes our look a bit bland but it's still a work of art in it's own right

Edit: just noticed Toronto on your list .. that CN Tower is an ugly concrete monstrosity and Toronto whilst it has it's charms isn't really what I would call a  beautiful city ..it's no Niagara on the lake for example

Edited by tonyh29

Â