Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I'm signed up to all 3 unions 'cause free stuff and it's free atm :D

Saying that, when I finish my masters in Education and leadership and earn bare dolla running schools I'll be laughing at those damned bus drivers and underground drivers  ^_^

Also, kinda relevant; NQT's in London earn 9k more than an NQT in Birmingham.

Edited by StefanAVFC

So u get a wage in August

Yes, but I'm not being paid for being on holiday. I love the job and I don't do it for the money. I'm not moaning about the hours or even the pay (things that piss you off that SHOULDN'T); just that a bus driver earns more after doing 4 years at uni :D

To piss you off even more though I think a London Underground train driver earns £45k a year plus benefits now to fall asleep at the wheel of a train that drives itself

Clearly a better union than the NUT

Pretty sure they can earn quite a bit more than that with overtime.

So u get a wage in August

Yes, but I'm not being paid for being on holiday. I love the job and I don't do it for the money. I'm not moaning about the hours or even the pay (things that piss you off that SHOULDN'T); just that a bus driver earns more after doing 4 years at uni :D

To piss you off even more though I think a London Underground train driver earns £45k a year plus benefits now to fall asleep at the wheel of a train that drives itself

Clearly a better union than the NUT

Pretty sure they can earn quite a bit more than that with overtime.

Not forgetting blackmailing a whole city during the Olympics :)

Well the money is spread out so we're not left with no money in August. That would be idiotic. But we aren't paid for our holidays. As I've said, it's 39 weeks of 55 hours instead of the usual 50 weeks of 42.5. 

I thought that teachers were contracted for 1,265 hours per year?  Where do you get 2,145 from?

Well the money is spread out so we're not left with no money in August. That would be idiotic. But we aren't paid for our holidays. As I've said, it's 39 weeks of 55 hours instead of the usual 50 weeks of 42.5. 

Hang on, they don't pay you for a full year, they pay you for part of the year (9 months) but spread it out over the year (dividing your 9 months into 12 monthly payments) so when they aren't paying for your 3 months holidays you're still getting paid money held back from your 9 working months, whilst you're on unpaid holiday?

That, makes no sense.

I'm not sure on the exact details, but that is comfortably what happens. I'll double check tomorrow.

One thing that does piss me off is when people use something as an excuse to have a pop at teachers, who then rightfully get defensive. Then the same teacher-bashers say 'TEACHERS ALWAYS MOAN ABOUT THE EXTRA HOURS THEY DO' etc. In other countries, teachers are respected. Rather than made to jump through hoops by the governing body and disliked by the population.

I think you've added nearly 1,000 hours onto what teachers are contracted to do!  Doesn't surprise me that you haven't read your contract though.  And you're teaching the youth of the UK?  Good lord.

I don't have a contract. I'm still training on a year long placement rather than a PGCE. I get my money through the university. I was going on what I've been told by other teachers in the staff room etc.

And Risso, anything to have another personal dig eh? Teachers do FAR more than their contracted hours. Far more. Comfortably 55-60 hours a week.

RRR, even after 4 years at uni? The back of the bus today said £430 a week which is more than the £413.734736490934* NQT's get.

*may not be 100% accurate

Edited by StefanAVFC

I don't have a contract. I'm still training on a year long placement rather than a PGCE. I get my money through the university. I was going on what I've been told by other teachers in the staff room etc.

And Risso, anything to have another personal dig eh? Teachers do FAR more than their contracted hours. Far more.

I'm sure they do.  That's not what you said though, you came up with some guff about 39 weeks of 55 hours.  Which of course, is in excess of the EU working time directive.

Edited by Risso

Aiming for outstanding in my teaching practise though (which I'm on for so far), which is more important than a 2.2 in Music lets be honest.

And Risso, anything to have another personal dig eh? Teachers do FAR more than their contracted hours. Far more.

I'm sure they do.  That's not what you said though, you came up with some guff about 39 weeks of 55 hours.  Which of course, is in advance of the EU working time directive.

And because I got confused over what I was told in the staff room without any contracts to look at, I'm not fit to teach? How disrespectful is that?

Bus drivers are typically 30-60 with families to support and are responsible for the lives of the hundreds of passengers they transport a day. They work unsociable hours including weekends and bank holidays and have to deal with sh*t off the public on a daily basis.

Of course they should earn more than a 22 year old NQT who has the potential to earn much more than the bus driver as they work their way up the career ladder.

Mass collective apathy.

The lack of any kind of being bothered about anything that is wrong and an injustice.

For example. The government do all kinds of shitty corrupt things without having to be transparent about any of it. They're currently forcing primary schools to be privately owned by pretending they're very bad from inspections. But these inspections are not public and no one can find out why a school can go from outstanding to special measures and hence requiring private sponsorship because the DfE don't have to say why. It's the ultimate definition of corruption. Yet while we should be marching on Westminster with pitchforks we're all just sat on the sofa or bog with fiddle devices.

The thing that pisses me off the most: I'm as guilty as anyone.

• Like 2

No. Technically teachers get paid in the holidays. But they don't get paid for the holidays. They get their money for term time, equally split into 12 payments.

The stuff about the hours was me getting confused and misinterpreting something somebody in the staff room said. Where I am right now, I don't need to know how much I'm getting paid, I just need to focus on training to be the best teacher I can be so the kids get a great education; and if I get those figures wrong, it hardly reflects on my teaching ability. I am, by Gove's own standards, outstanding at this moment in time.

How about you stop being so disrespectful and patronising? What the heck have I done to deserve it?

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 3

Â