Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Can be very rewarding, and can be very taxing and draining. I don't begrudge them their holiday at all. It's needed IMO.

Does that extend to bankers who work 60+ hour weeks and all year round without the 100 days holiday as well ? :)

Teachers are the most 'moany' people I have ever known.

Tbf the teachers at my kids school are pretty amazing and the effort they have put in with both of my kids but my son in particular is a credit to the profession

Can be very rewarding, and can be very taxing and draining. I don't begrudge them their holiday at all. It's needed IMO.

Does that extend to bankers who work 60+ hour weeks and all year round without the 100 days holiday as well ? :)

The ones that pretty much bankrupted the country, yet still rake in salaries well in excess of 4 times what a decent teachers earns, with massive bonuses on top? 

No, it doesn't. Bwankers.

• Like 4

Tbf the teachers at my kids school are pretty amazing and the effort they have put in with both of my kids but my son in particular is a credit to the profession

Doesn't mean they don't go home each afternoon and moan to anybody that will listen about how tired they are, and the marking they've got to do, and the lesson plans they need to do etc...

• Like 1

Doesn't mean they don't go home each afternoon and moan to anybody that will listen about how tired they are, and the marking they've got to do, and the lesson plans they need to do etc...

also add in moans about pupils, other teachers, heads, and even parents. It's quite a long list of moans, I find :mrgreen:

The amount of stick Stefan has copped on this thread is totally unjustified IMO. 

He's new to the profession, he's clearly passionate about it.... fair play to him - if there were more teachers like him and fewer moany clearings in the woods perhaps there would be a little more hope for the yoof of the day. 

As a former teacher and currently working within education I can confirm teaching is like all walks of life. There are outstanding dedicated professional teachers who work their nuts off because they give a shit....and there are also useless drooling fucktards that have no business in a zoo much less a classroom. The same I imagine applies to bankers, accountants or whatever. Its a bloody difficult job that can be both rewarding and soul destroying and I have limitless admiration for those who stick it out because there is nothing worse than trying to educate a bunch of red bull fueled, hormonal, emotionally stunted 14 year olds on a sunny Friday afternoon in June.

Its NOT a 9-3 job......  and it there is certainly more work involved that "just" the 39 weeks a year the school kids are in. 

• Like 1

Jon, on 17 Sept 2013 - 10:03 AM, said:

tonyh29, on 17 Sept 2013 - 09:52 AM, said:

Jon, on 17 Sept 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

The ones that pretty much bankrupted the country, yet still rake in salaries well in excess of 4 times what a decent teachers earns, with massive bonuses on top? 

what about the ones that  didn't bankrupt a country  .... Sterotyping is a bit lazy  Jon

The intern / grad program that ran when I was at Canary Wharf  the  people came on at around £20k salary and worked days , nights and weekends  ... some of them got taken on and eventually make it to the big time and the big bonuses  .. the majority of them didn't  , and went off to another bank and kinda had to start again

the hard working thing is usually used to patronise nurses , teachers , dustmen etc  ..but it's bollocks really  ...

I went out with a teacher for 7 years, so I'm fairly familiar with the level of moaning they can be capable of.

Most of it seems to revolve around the contentious issues of their hours and annual leave. As with anything in life, being particularly touchy about a subject often hints at some truth behind the allegations. They DO get an insane amount of time off, but good for them at the end of the day (they just don't like being told it).

I actually think it's criminally underpaid - A good teacher who can get the best out of his/her pupils is a far more skilled individual than society gives credit for. I don't necessarily buy into the thinking that teachers work long into the night doing marking and lesson preparations - from my personal experience this isn't the case, though their days certainly do extend beyond 3 o'clock.

• Like 1

what about the ones that  didn't bankrupt a country  ....

Do they exist?

• Like 1

what about the ones that  didn't bankrupt a country  .... Sterotyping is a bit lazy  Jon

The intern / grad program that ran when I was at Canary Wharf  the  people came on at around £20k salary and worked days , nights and weekends  ... some of them got taken on and eventually make it to the big time and the big bonuses  .. the majority of them didn't  , and went off to another bank and kinda had to start again

the hard working thing is usually used to patronise nurses , teachers , dustmen etc  ..but it's bollocks really  ...

What is your question exactly Mr Loc? I said I didn't begrudge teachers their 'lengthy' holidays. You then asked what about bankers? What do you mean by that? They don't get lengthy holidays, much like the rest of us private sector workers.

But, do I think many of those working in the banking/investment sector are 'overpaid'. Yes, by a long chalk. Do I think many of them get obsecene bonuses - again - yes. Did their (global) greed almost bring the global economy crashing down - again, yes.

I must say that there is obviously a distinction here between people working as 'cashiers' at your local Natwest, and investment Bwankers in the City. I don't consider cashiers as 'Bankers' in that sense.

I'm just not sure what question you're asking mate. You need to be clearer.

- A good teacher who can get the best out of his/her pupils is a far more skilled individual than society gives credit for. I don't necessarily buy into the thinking that teachers work long into the night doing marking and lesson preparations - from my personal experience this isn't the case, though their days certainly do extend beyond 3 o'clock.

Yep - agree with all those points Mr Shillz

Jon, on 17 Sept 2013 - 11:31 AM, said:

tonyh29, on 17 Sept 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

Jon, on 17 Sept 2013 - 10:03 AM, said:Jon, on 17 Sept 2013 - 10:03 AM, said:

tonyh29, on 17 Sept 2013 - 09:52 AM, said:tonyh29, on 17 Sept 2013 - 09:52 AM, said:

Jon, on 17 Sept 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:Jon, on 17 Sept 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

What is your question exactly Mr Loc? I said I didn't begrudge teachers their 'lengthy' holidays. You then asked what about bankers? What do you mean by that? They don't get lengthy holidays, much like the rest of us private sector workers.

But, do I think many of those working in the banking/investment sector are 'overpaid'. Yes, by a long chalk. Do I think many of them get obsecene bonuses - again - yes. Did their (global) greed almost bring the global economy crashing down - again, yes.

I must say that there is obviously a distinction here between people working as 'cashiers' at your local Natwest, and investment Bwankers in the City. I don't consider cashiers as 'Bankers' in that sense.

I'm just not sure what question you're asking mate. You need to be clearer.

well you said you don't begrudge teachers their long holidays , suggesting you empathise with the work ( i.e the hours ) and effort that they put in

I was asking if that extended to other professions  , i.e Bankers who also work long hours   and I countered the "over paid " argument with evidence of my own

I can sorta accept the arguments that "they bankrupted a country" even if I don't necessarily agree with it , but that would be like me saying Teachers taught Harold Shipman therefore all teachers must all be to blame for what he did ...

It just seems that the perception is teachers , nurses etc are hard working , good honest people  and everyone else is a fat cat chasing the money that they don't deserve  ... though the £54k a year tube driver seems to be getting off lightly 

I guess I wasn't asking you a direct question as such , more making an observation and asking for input from others on the subject 

I can't help but have more respect for a job that actually has tangible results - making something, mending something, driving something, treating illness, teaching the young, etc. - than one which is just basically shuffling imaginary money around in cyberspace.

• Like 1

Well, you need someone to record the numbers, and serve the consumers...

...and maybe, someone to make those numbers look a little, neater, as well.

Edited by legov

I can't help but have more respect for a job that actually has tangible results - making something, mending something, driving something, treating illness, teaching the young, etc. - than one which is just basically shuffling imaginary money around in cyberspace.

yeah. If I were a religious man, I'd be singing from the same hymn sheet here Mr Moon Man.

Which is why I feel my job (databases/employee opinion surveys/benchmarking) isn't really very worthy of anything really.  How much would it be missed if it wasn't done? Whereas nurses, police, farmers etc) ....

yeah. If I were a religious man, I'd be singing from the same hymn sheet here Mr Moon Man.

Which is why I feel my job (databases/employee opinion surveys/benchmarking) isn't really very worthy of anything really.  How much would it be missed if it wasn't done? Whereas nurses, police, farmers etc) ....

Making the nurses and policemen work better?

yeah. If I were a religious man, I'd be singing from the same hymn sheet here Mr Moon Man. Which is why I feel my job (databases/employee opinion surveys/benchmarking) isn't really very worthy of anything really. How much would it be missed if it wasn't done? Whereas nurses, police, farmers etc) ....
The same farmers that get paid by the government / EU not to produce anything you mean :) Mike does raise a good point though Edited by tonyh29

Making the nurses and policemen work better?

Yeah! I'll take that Legov :D  :thumb:

Â