Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Posted (edited)

They've done what they intended to do by letting out the tyres.

Targeting premium brands also gets more awareness than going after other vehicles. Nobody would care and it wouldn't be news if they went after cheap brands or old cars.

They've raised awareness by doing something quick and easy.

The government are not going to do anything until the public on mass demands it.

So they're targeting the public to raise awareness and they've been successful. 

They've got all of you talking about it and keeping the issue being spoken about.

If even one of you takes a step back and thinks that maybe they could be more environmentally conscious in how they do things, it's a success for them, and all it cost was letting some tyres down.

Edited by Rds1983
  • Like 1

To clarify the above post.

I'm not championing the environmentalists or what they've done.

Just trying to explain why I think they've done it and why it's been successful for them.

It's the same as when they glue themselves to things or block roads. If everyone ignored it then they'd stop and try something else.

Growing up in the countryside, then living in cities and now being semi urban in a relatively wealthy suburb. There are way more of these types of vehicles about nowadays and they don't get used the same way as they did 20 or 30 years ago. They're not off road vehicles or used for pulling caravans or horseboxes, they're used on the school run or to go shopping. I can't go a hundred yards down the road without seeing multiple shiny white rangerovers or other 4x4s and speaking to the parents at my sons school they all think we're nuts for going camping or doing outside activities. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

To clarify the above post.

I'm not championing the environmentalists or what they've done.

Just trying to explain why I think they've done it and why it's been successful for them.

It's the same as when they glue themselves to things or block roads. If everyone ignored it then they'd stop and try something else.

Growing up in the countryside, then living in cities and now being semi urban in a relatively wealthy suburb. There are way more of these types of vehicles about nowadays and they don't get used the same way as they did 20 or 30 years ago. They're not off road vehicles or used for pulling caravans or horseboxes, they're used on the school run or to go shopping. I can't go a hundred yards down the road without seeing multiple shiny white rangerovers or other 4x4s and speaking to the parents at my sons school they all think we're nuts for going camping or doing outside activities. 

Thanks for your point and thanks in particular for not telling me to leap off a cliff, kill myself but ultimately reduce the planet's carbon footprint 🙂

Edited by mottaloo

1 minute ago, mottaloo said:

Thanks for your point and thanks in particular for not telling me to leap off a cliff, kill myself but ultimately reduce the planet's carbon footprint 🙂

I can only speak for myself, but I didn't read it as Tony telling you to throw yourself off Beachy Head... I read it as telling the people letting the tyres down to do it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

I can only speak for myself, but I didn't read it as Tony telling you to throw yourself off Beachy Head... I read it as telling the people letting the tyres down to do it!

Same I don't think it was aimed at you @mottaloo.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Same I don't think it was aimed at you @mottaloo.

Thanks Marv..... I am old skool in feelings and emotions but it seemed pretty direct.

Anyway....like I imply....I ain't thin skinned normally so I'll drop it and let's just all look forward to a good performance at west ham today 😁

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

I was suggesting  in a flippant way that rather than committing childish acts of vandalism that achieve nothing,  the environmentalists protesting that humans are killing the planet could take the journey off the cliff if they felt so strongly … you are free to smash them over the head with a tyre spanner and still do your bit 😉

Edited by tonyh29

A lot of these SUV issues would be better if public transport was effective and reasonably priced. I have a Seat Ateca for the main reason we love going places with our dog, and the Ateca gives us the space we need for him and us.

If I could take a family of 4 on a train to the beach for less than the cost of a holiday deposit I'd be inclined to do that instead. Then factor in reliability and punctuality of public services then it's a no brainer.

I do agree that quite a lot of people like to own certain SUVs because of the brand though. These people are morons, usually driven by people in gym gear who never go to the gym.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

If I could take a family of 4 on a train to the beach for less than the cost of a holiday deposit I'd be inclined to do that instead.

There’s a lot to be said that if governments really took climate change seriously that it wouldn’t be cheaper to fly a family of 4 to Spain than it would be to go from Woking to Brighton by train 

but equally they need to balance it so that flights don’t become the exclusive right of Hollywood superstars flying around the planet telling  us we shouldn’t fly 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

it seemed pretty direct.

Having re-read it it is particularly badly worded. I'm just going off the thought that if it had been anyone else there might have been the potential for a bit of doubt in my mind, but the day @tonyh29 is posting in defense of any "lefty loons" is the day we all know he's been hacked or we're living in a sim, or both :D :detect:  :ph34r:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

Thanks Marv..... I am old skool in feelings and emotions but it seemed pretty direct.

Anyway....like I imply....I ain't thin skinned normally so I'll drop it and let's just all look forward to a good performance at west ham today 😁

Get back posting on SHA mate a proppa forum, this lot up the road do not understand you.DVB’s the lot of them. 

mate

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

If even one of you takes a step back and thinks that maybe they could be more environmentally conscious in how they do things, it's a success for them, and all it cost was letting some tyres down.

But against that 'even one' that might recant, the vast majority will simply harden their views. Especially the way this stuff is presented in the sort of newspapers that they tend to read. The message that comes across isn't "These people are making a serious point, we should think about it", it's "These people are dangerous and deluded vandals, we should lock them up". 

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

But against that 'even one' that might recant, the vast majority will simply harden their views. Especially the way this stuff is presented in the sort of newspapers that they tend to read. The message that comes across isn't "These people are making a serious point, we should think about it", it's "These people are dangerous and deluded vandals, we should lock them up". 

The message lands better with younger generations and they're more likely to change their views as they're less entrenched.

Their actions get publicity and get people talking. 

Several pages of this thread have now been dedicated to it confirms this point. 

They want attention and we're all giving it to them.

Edited by Rds1983

How much difference in kg/CO2 is there between a 2024 petrol range rover which does 5,000 miles a year or a 2006 VW Passat 2.0l which does 20,000 miles a year?  Could the Passat owner work from home, but chooses not to?

The last few pages on this are ridiculous without any numbers being shown.

Why not stop a cruise liner leaving port? After all, a cruise ship's average journey is equivalent to 1 million cars on the road, and that's just to take people on a 2/3 week jolly.

What about the 400 private jets landing locally to the NFL Superbowl?  They emit around 45kgCO2 per mile.  The average trip was 1,000 miles.

A Google tells me a new range rover emits the equivalent of 3.72kgCO2 for every 10Km.

Where do you stop the micro analysis of an average person?  The person in a new range rover probably has a better insulated house and keeps their ASHP on for 2/3 hours a day, whereas someone on average income probably forgets to have their 20 year old boiler turned off and keep it at a nice 23C for the dog.

It's all **** nonsense.  

It's the environmental equivalent of the Daily Mail.  Stop looking at individuals who don't actually do that much harm and focus on the big shit.  

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

How much difference in kg/CO2 is there between a 2024 petrol range rover which does 5,000 miles a year or a 2006 VW Passat 2.0l which does 20,000 miles a year?  Could the Passat owner work from home, but chooses not to?

The last few pages on this are ridiculous without any numbers being shown.

Why not stop a cruise liner leaving port? After all, a cruise ship's average journey is equivalent to 1 million cars on the road, and that's just to take people on a 2/3 week jolly.

What about the 400 private jets landing locally to the NFL Superbowl?  They emit around 45kgCO2 per mile.  The average trip was 1,000 miles.

A Google tells me a new range rover emits the equivalent of 3.72kgCO2 for every 10Km.

Where do you stop the micro analysis of an average person?  The person in a new range rover probably has a better insulated house and keeps their ASHP on for 2/3 hours a day, whereas someone on average income probably forgets to have their 20 year old boiler turned off and keep it at a nice 23C for the dog.

It's all **** nonsense.  

It's the environmental equivalent of the Daily Mail.  Stop looking at individuals who don't actually do that much harm and focus on the big shit.  

I thought the original post was about the campaign letting down or puncturing tyres on bigger cars.

That campaign, or certainly the europe wide version of it that has been going a while, is not solely about carbon emissions. It embraces the whole problem with bloated cars in an urban environment, sharing streets with much smaller and softer users.

But it’s easier to just write it off as not thought through, or jealousy, or not considering whether someone has photo voltaics on their roof as a trade off for dominating the streets.

But it’s not like I’m their spokesperson, it might just be they don’t like G Wagons but would be ok with a similar sized Fiat, as some on here believe. 

• Like 1

If the road or the car park has larger or smaller cars it makes no difference to my experience.

If the place was full of Hummers or Dodge Rams then I could understand they are too wide for our roads and parking spaces. Whilst F-Paces and X5’s are bigger than a Focus or an Astra it makes no difference to me and my daily activities. If moms in the school run are in an SUV to drop off outside the school gates it would be equally as inconvenient if they were in a hatchback.

Â