Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

My mom's complete inability to communicate effectively via text message/whatsapp

She's looking after my lad today. Originally we said 9:30 but our plans have changed so I text her saying basically no rush but if you can take him any earlier it would be great. 

"Let me know when you're up and about and ok to take him and I'll bring him round"

Her reply at 7:30 was "ok"

I've just messaged saying "I guess I'll bring him at 9:30 then like originally planned?"

And she's said "I was ready at 7:30, I've been waiting for you"

SAY THAT THEN! You just said ok. As in "Ok I'll let you know"

You wouldn't do that in a normal conversation. Just say ok and assume you've been understood :D 

If I'd have messaged my Dad that all I would have received in response would have been a thumbs up.

12 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

If I'd have messaged my Dad that all I would have received in response would have been a thumbs up.

Ha! Same with my Dad. 75% of his SMS communication is 'ok' or '👍'

Similar to the above, but when you ask two questions on an email and only get one answer back. I might email a client asking if they agree to the quote and when are they looking to complete, and they'll respond with "Yes, quote is fine" 

I feel like a tit then chasing them up for the answer to the second question. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Xela said:

Similar to the above, but when you ask two questions on an email and only get one answer back. I might email a client asking if they agree to the quote and when are they looking to complete, and they'll respond with "Yes, quote is fine" 

I feel like a tit then chasing them up for the answer to the second question. 

Had this last week. 

Two subjectivities required before we can assume cover. 

Both highlighted in the report twice and both mentioned in the covering e-mail. 

Instructions to assume cover received with no further comment so I write back asking very clearly in no uncertain terms for the 2 x subjectivities. 

Client writes back with one answer. 

Aaagggghhhh. 

That's basically my life.

Reading submissions, looking for flaws in it, then trying to work out how to word queries to get answers to those flaws in such a way that they either have to give the exact information I need or otherwise raise further questions, without wording it in such a way that basically tells them the answer I want them to give, and also doesn't allow them to avoid answering.

It never works. You either get the answer to the question they wanted to answer, or they claim they've already answered it (99% of the time, they haven't, which is why I'm asking, the 1% is when I've got so sick of life my eyes stopped being able to read and I genuinely missed it), or just ignore it.

When it comes to receiving instructions it's remarkable how many people think that just saying 'Please hold covered, thanks' is acceptable when I've offered various options at different levels and at no point have I been told which and what is required. I'm not a mindreader, I need you to tell me. I also need the date explicitly stated, or at the very least something that says 'from today'. And if there's subjectivities you always have the dance about asking for those before you actually place on cover, and then they don't come, so you put on cover subject to... and then a month later you get the subs coming back explaining they can't actually meet the subs because of X and Y but obviously that doesn't matter right...?...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

The UK Honours system. **** laughable and pointless. Rewarding people for doing their jobs. 

To make matters worse - Liz Truss has unveiled her honours list following her highly successful 49 day sojourn as Prime Minister.

Absolute archaic bullshit - she was a failure and doesn't deserve to hand out peerages to friends and benefactors.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

Similar to the above, but when you ask two questions on an email and only get one answer back

I have tried with colours and bold, and got a slightly better response success. Some people are amoebas though and nothing but single questions will work, if that. Salespeople and middle/upper management are over representative.

Do your want that delivered this week or next?

Do you what that in binary or hex?

Edited by Tegis
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

The UK Honours system. **** laughable and pointless. Rewarding people for doing their jobs. 

I can relax now knowing that Paul Hollywood and Leona Lewis have got honours. Phew! Was worried they might not be recognised. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:

The Sister in law sleeping on our couch f***ing up my morning routine.

Get up and f*** the f*** OFF

I hate people staying over. You should never have to tiptoe around your own home. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

The only thing I like about the Honours system, is when people turn them down, like Benjamin Zephaniah et al.

It just seems like the establishment attempting to co-opt the demotic.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

I hate people staying over. You should never have to tiptoe around your own home. 

Yeah - I'd add to that, even if they don't stay overnight, if they don't go home when it is fairly clear it would be a good time to.

If I'm saying we'll have to get the kids to bed in a minute that is me basically saying can you **** off now please!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Yeah - I'd add to that, even if they don't stay overnight, if they don't go home when it is fairly clear it would be a good time to.

If I'm saying we'll have to get the kids to bed in a minute that is me basically saying can you **** off now please!

"Can I get you anything? Tea? Coffee? Hats? Coats?" 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, bickster said:

The Sister in law sleeping on our couch f***ing up my morning routine.

Get up and f*** the f*** OFF

.....am surprised @rjw63 hasn't offered his usual, sage advice here....🤔

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Very surprised the standard DHUTWU, or just stroll past with your three card trick hanging out and do a hands on hips power stance in front of her hasn't been suggested.

Both would work I reckon.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Didn’t see it til now but yeah, send the wife out on a shopping expedition and DHUTWU, pretty much won’t see her ever again 😂

• Haha 1

Â