Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

21 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I like local history and love looking at old photos of areas I know and there’s a lot pages on Instagram and Facebook, but the comments on them always infuriate me.

Shite like “everythin was so much better then and we all no why but were not aloud to say 🇬🇧🤬” with hundreds of likes and replies like “spot on, Keith”

Even ignoring those kind of comments, the rest are usually annoying for a few reasons. 

“I haven’t been to Birmingham for 30 years, it was so much friendlier and cleaner when I was young and there was no crime. Not like today when they’ll stab you if dare look at them.”

I get nostalgia and certain things may have been better (we’ve certainly lost a few beautiful buildings) but people generally talk so much nonsense.

It’s funny there were no comments and barely any reactions to the photos of the slums, back to back houses and child poverty that were posted the other day. 

Are you on 'Midlands Memories and More' on FB? Some good old photos on there, but the usual fair share of gammon comments. I just got into a spat a few minutes ago over a picture of the Bull Ring in the late 40s. Sure enough, one of the first comments was "Lovely, not a mosque in sight, before the third world mob invaded". 

I pulled him up on it, and got more of the same, including "We aren't allowed to have opinions anymore", approval of Holland electing Geert Wilders, and invective about Jeremy Corbyn. 

Fortunately the group admins have taken it down. I expect he'll now be ranting somewhere about being cancelled by woke lefties. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Thank you. I could have written that exact post myself (in fact I was planning to do so, but you've saved me the bother). Bear in mind I'm probably the same generation (or even older) than some of the whiners, but I find myself frequently arguing with the silly old buggers. 

It just shows how it is better to travel hopefully, than to arrive.

8 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I go into a shop or cafe and like the look of the Christmas sandwiches, before seeing every one has bloody cranberry sauce in it.  I'm sure cranberry sauce was never a thing when I was growing up, now it's everywhere.

It’s also very hard to source the correct condiment which is redcurrant jelly

Cranberries are detestable shite that leave my tongue with the furry feeling

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I go into a shop or cafe and like the look of the Christmas sandwiches, before seeing every one has bloody cranberry sauce in it.  I'm sure cranberry sauce was never a thing when I was growing up, now it's everywhere.

What's in those sandwiches is dark red jam. You get a sweet note without flavour. Most people like sweet with overcooked poultry and pork.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Are you on 'Midlands Memories and More' on FB? Some good old photos on there, but the usual fair share of gammon comments. I just got into a spat a few minutes ago over a picture of the Bull Ring in the late 40s. Sure enough, one of the first comments was "Lovely, not a mosque in sight, before the third world mob invaded". 

I pulled him up on it, and got more of the same, including "We aren't allowed to have opinions anymore", approval of Holland electing Geert Wilders, and invective about Jeremy Corbyn. 

Fortunately the group admins have taken it down. I expect he'll now be ranting somewhere about being cancelled by woke lefties. 

Yes! That’s the exact page I was talking about. They all seem to have those kind of comments, but that one seems particularly bad.

It’s annoying because usually I’d ignore the comments, but with those kind of pages I like to read about peoples memories, or work out where/when the picture was taken etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

Yes! That’s the exact page I was talking about. They all seem to have those kind of comments, but that one seems particularly bad.

Dunno if you saw the initial exchange, but the pic is now back up with his (and my) comments removed. 

19 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Trouble maker 

I had a flick through that page. Yes, loads of wasn't it all much better in the old days. 

One comment almost ALMOST made me sign up to Facebook just to respond. 

They said "All these old pictures and no litter on the streets. What went wrong?" 

I wanted to say "The Council stopped employing litter pickers?" 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

I had a flick through that page. Yes, loads of wasn't it all much better in the old days. 

One comment almost ALMOST made me sign up to Facebook just to respond. 

They said "All these old pictures and no litter on the streets. What went wrong?" 

I wanted to say "The Council stopped employing litter pickers?" 

If I can find that comment, I'll do it for you. 

But you know what the reply would be - "Yes, all our council tax now gets given to transgender Muslims on benefits". 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

If I can find that comment, I'll do it for you. 

But you know what the reply would be - "Yes, all our council tax now gets given to transgender Muslims on benefits". 

You can't argue with that Mike. The correlation is clear. 

On 25/11/2023 at 09:21, lapal_fan said:

I heard on the radio that only 2% of items in black Friday deals are the lowest price they've been throughout the year.

Seems the old supermarket trick of "putting a sale sticker on something" works with anything.

In the EU you need to show the lowest price in the last 30 days on every sticker. Brexit benefit.

On 25/11/2023 at 14:23, Paddywhack said:

I like local history and love looking at old photos of areas I know and there’s a lot pages on Instagram and Facebook, but the comments on them always infuriate me.

Shite like “everythin was so much better then and we all no why but were not aloud to say 🇬🇧🤬” with hundreds of likes and replies like “spot on, Keith”

Even ignoring those kind of comments, the rest are usually annoying for a few reasons. 

“I haven’t been to Birmingham for 30 years, it was so much friendlier and cleaner when I was young and there was no crime. Not like today when they’ll stab you if dare look at them.”

I get nostalgia and certain things may have been better (we’ve certainly lost a few beautiful buildings) but people generally talk so much nonsense.

It’s funny there were no comments and barely any reactions to the photos of the slums, back to back houses and child poverty that were posted the other day. 

I think I've put this exact thing in this thread before.

I follow "Old Pics of Brum" on Facebook. It's a great group, loads of really interesting old photos. But ever single photo is full of comments "Oh it was better back then"

There was a photo of the old new street station "Looked so much nicer back then" Did it? Did it really Barbara?!

The best one was a photo of a kid in Balsall Heath from like the 50's or 60's. He was clearly living in poverty, dressed in tatty clothes and had bow legs so was suffering from rickets or something.
One of the comments was "The world would be a better place if more people grew up like this"

What, the world would be a better place if more kids grew up in poverty with sever vitamin deficiencies? Would it? Wouldn't that mean, by definition, that the world was a worse place? 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, JoshVilla said:

The complete disregard of bauble etiquette that I see on people's Xmas trees.

Big baubles go on the bottom, medium sized in the middle, small ones at the top. 

The joy of a Christmas tree is the chaos.  The multi-coloured nonsense, some shite crafts that the kids have made, different "sets" of baubles all together and some randomly placed treats.

If the baubles cause the branches to drop too severely then I can get on board with what you're saying, but I don't want a "stylish" or uniformed tree at all.

• Like 1

Â