Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

31 minutes ago, Anthony said:

What does it mean?

There's a growing development in speech where 'to be' is dropped from sentences like 'those clothes need to be washed', becoming 'those clothes need washed'.

It makes my eyes and ears bleed.

It seems to be thing that derives from some American dialects, but I've also heard it from Scottish people. It's awful.

IMG_1916.jpg

Edited by Chindie
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

'Excited for' (an event), e.g. "I'm excited for Christmas". 

No you're not, you're excited about Christmas. 

(You can be excited for a person, i.e. excited on their behalf - "I'm excited for the kids, they're going to love Christmas"). 

Mike, in the past 13 years I have adjusted my poor English basically as a result of your posts in this thread (but not limited to this thread). I think you need to stop posting as excited for Christmas might be a step too far for me. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

My niece when she texts Mrs F or I, replies with KK?  I mean it’s not even short for anything like OK, so what’s the point of it? Have to say it’s annoying.  

Used in online games chat.

Don't think I've ever seen it for normal texting purposes.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Designer1 said:

Used in online games chat.

Don't think I've ever seen it for normal texting purposes.

I honestly had no idea but that makes sense as she’s either glued to her Switch or mobile. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

(You can be excited for a person, i.e. excited on their behalf - "I'm excited for the kids, they're going to love Christmas"). 

Personally I'm excited for Christmas. 

spacer.png

'Visit with'

'Horseback riding'

'Could care less'

'Creg' for Craig

'Write somebody' (write to somebody)

'Mac and Cheese'

'Oftentimes'

'Texted'

Edited by Wainy316

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

And these are not fully transferrable. You cannot be excited about the kids.  Well ... I guess you could be ...

4 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

'Creg' for Craig

Think I've said this on here before but I know a father and son called Greg & Craig. I used to be a little unsure which was which so called them both Creg. Worked a charm.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

'Visit with'

'Horseback riding'

'Could care less'

'Creg' for Craig

'Write somebody' (write to somebody)

'Mac and Cheese'

'Oftentimes'

'Texted'

Oh and…’Legos’ 

• Like 2

About a 12 or 15 years or so ago, I bought a Bosch electric screwdriver/drill. It was great. Eventually though, the battery died, so I looked to buy a new battery, and it turned out that a new screwdriver/drill was as cheap as just buying a battery, so I got a new screwdriver. The same price, give or take. That, battery too, eventually died. So I got a bigger more powerful drill/screwdriver with 2 bigger batteries for about £100. It's been fine for the 4 years I've had it...till yesterday, when with both batteries fully charged the screwdriver lights came on indicating overheating - it wasn't overheated at all. As both batteries were still good, and it was out of warranty, I bought, just now, a new version of the same thing, with just one battery ( 'cus I already have 2 good ones), which was the cheapest option. It worked, obviously, with it's own new battery and both the old ones. But I just put the new battery on the old drill...and it's fine. But not with the old batteries. So it seems like the old batteries trigger the fail safe mechanism on the old drill, but not the new one. If I'd have known and bought 2 new batteries, it would still have cost me more than the drill. It's mad.

I've therefore got 4 drills, 4 chargers, 5 batteries of which 3 are good and fit 2 of the drills, but only one battery works on both drills.

I've also got a mains powered drill, but the chuck's knackered.

Aaarghhh.

• Haha 3

Â