Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I'm part way through painting another model, and it's been a nightmare, simply due to the sheer number of parts and having some paint trouble. That latter point lead to me thinking a full clean of the airbrush might help, a task I hate because every part of an airbrush contains the spirit of a lemming, desperate to break or disappear. Very carefully took it apart, held my breath and steadied my hand to remove the tiny nozzle with it's stupid spanner. Slowly pulled out the needle and carefully set it aside. Carefully use some tissue to clear out the paint cup and some pipe cleaners to clean the channel the paint goes through along the needle. Pick up the needle, making sure to go nowhere near the point, which is so sharp it'll stab through to the bone and so fragile the slightest touch will bend it and knacker it. Cleaning goes swimmingly. Pull the needle down along the tissue with some thinner on it, pulling past the point.

Sneeze.

Needle goes slightly into the tissue. Shit. Maybe it's ok. Pull it along the tissue it might have just gone through the tissue was damp anyway. I can feel it drag. It's bent.

Neighbour putting washing out gives me odd look as extremely loud chorus of swearing eminates from my open window.

• Haha 1

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 18:49, mjmooney said:

I remember watching that and thinking it reminded me of my state grammar school, when it suddenly dawned on me that the weedy kid was played by Anton Lesser, whom I knew from school - he was THE star actor in all our school plays (and, incidentally, his dad was my local barber). He went on to join the Royal Shakespeare Company, as well as doing loads of TV (currently the police chief in "Endeavour"). Pretty sure he drew on Moseley Grammar for his role in "...Games". Good film, I'd like to see it again. 

When I was in the 6th Form (1992), we went to see 'Taming Of The Shrew' at the RSC in Stratford - Anton Lesser was starring in that production at the time.

He was also in the last couple of series of Game of Thrones - can't remember the name of the character he was though. Pretty sure he was part of the revolutionised Lannister Queendom following her 'walk of shame' and atonement.

2 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

He was also in the last couple of series of Game of Thrones - can't remember the name of the character he was though. Pretty sure he was part of the revolutionised Lannister Queendom following her 'walk of shame' and atonement.

Qyburn.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The female in the couple has immediately started chatting up, sharing a bed with and kissing some new bloke. My girlfriend's reaction to this was mostly "aww that's nice, he's just her type"  or "She wasn't compatible with the other guy anyway, this is better for her"  or "Fair play to her for following her heart"

Cut to the other villa where the male in the couple is merely speaking to a new girl saying something like "I'm open to getting to know other girls"
To which my girlfriend reacted more like "What a prick!" "Lying word removed" "She's only been gone 5 minute and he's already cracking on with other girls!"

Women logic. Doesn't follow conventional logic. 

Talking of crazy women behaviour, there was some extreme behaviour on show at my work conference... sun and a free bar doesn't help. I'll save those stories for a different day! 

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Don't pretend that isn't the best decision you've ever made.

He does have nowhere to store his coins now though. 

• Haha 2

When a little blue square appears where your cursor is and proceeds to erase the letters in front of it. WTF iis that and how do I get rid of it? it happens when I make a spelling error and click back on the error.

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

When a little blue square appears where your cursor is and proceeds to erase the letters in front of it. WTF iis that and how do I get rid of it? it happens when I make a spelling error and click back on the error.

Are you using Grammarly by any chance?

2 hours ago, Raver50032 said:

When I was in the 6th Form (1992), we went to see 'Taming Of The Shrew' at the RSC in Stratford - Anton Lesser was starring in that production at the time.

Ah, not being a GoT watcher, I didn't know that. Probably a decent few quid for his retirement fund. 

His first claim to fame was when he played the title role in "Hamlet" at our school. At the time, Richard Chamberlain was starring in the same role at Birmingham Rep. The Evening Mail reviewed both plays, and concluded that the 17 year old Lesser's was the better performance.

• Thanks 1

"Someone has made a very ridiculous mistake so we need to put in a control. It hasn't been an issue in 10 years and this process has run fine without issues every single week in that period and despite the high turnover of staff this has never happened...but we need to put in a control now. It will add an even more tedious step and additional cross checking but we need to put in a control"

I have got a control, mate. I am not a moron.

• Like 2

When did it become normal for the word dropped to be used instead of released be a thing

"Ed sheeran dropped his new single" 

"arsenal dropped there new kit"

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jimzk5 said:

When did it become normal for the word dropped to be used instead of released be a thing

I think we've had this discussion before on here.

It annoys me. Not because of the word, but because I THINK it's one of those words that gets more popular and immediately gets misused.

To me an album "dropping" would be an unexpected release. 

So if we woke up tomorrow and Drake had released an album out of nowhere then I would say he'd "dropped" an album.

But something that's been scheduled for ages and expected and then finally gets released, hasn't been "dropped" imo. But of course, that's how it's come to be used.

21 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think we've had this discussion before on here.

It annoys me. Not because of the word, but because I THINK it's one of those words that gets more popular and immediately gets misused.

To me an album "dropping" would be an unexpected release. 

So if we woke up tomorrow and Drake had released an album out of nowhere then I would say he'd "dropped" an album.

But something that's been scheduled for ages and expected and then finally gets released, hasn't been "dropped" imo. But of course, that's how it's come to be used.

Drake... definitely one for the "Things I don't get" thread.

Everyone has their own music taste, but God it's just such boring nothingness.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I think he's got a great range. And by that I mean he ranges from some really great songs to some absolute guff :D 

To be fair to him he's fairly prolific at releasing material so there's bound to be some dull stuff in there.

17 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

On the subject of shit music, I was skipping through the music channels on sky for my daughter to dance to and this was on one of them 

What a load a shit

1 hour ago, Jimzk5 said:

Thank you. I also hate this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

But something that's been scheduled for ages and expected and then finally gets released, hasn't been "dropped" imo.

If you honestly believe there are albums that just appear out of thin air then you are very naive. They are all scheduled and planned, just because someone manages to keep it quiet is just an advertising gimmick

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

If you honestly believe there are albums that just appear out of thin air then you are very naive. They are all scheduled and planned, just because someone manages to keep it quiet is just an advertising gimmick

On similar lines: "pre-order". Total redundancy. "Order" does the job. You may be ordering it ahead of the release date, or after it, but you're ordering it either way. No need for "pre-". 

See also "pre-planning". Grrrr. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, bickster said:

Obviously I don’t believe that.  

I meant in terms of the public. As in if an album has a release date of December 1st and everyone knows about it and then we get to December the 1st and it’s released, then that album hasn’t been dropped. 

But if an album doesn’t have a publicly known release date and then it’s suddenly released as a surprise to Joe bloggs on the street, then that is the correct usage of “dropped” imo

2 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

BBC even use this phrase on their website. 

I'm convinced humans have finished evolving about 10 years ago. We'll be apes again in 100 years.

• Like 1

Â