Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

here's one for all the Daily Mail readers on here....

Via an overly boring back story, I regularly acquire fairly large quantities of complimentary toothpaste and toothbrush kits. They come in a posh little cardboard box and contain a half sized tube of (usually aquafresh) toothpaste, and a plain white non-branded toothbrush.

I pick up enough of these to be self sufficient in toothpaste and donate a decent number to a local foodbank (yep, they don't just do beans). From several pieces of feedback I've received a number of people given a few boxes in with their emergency rations kit (loo roll and soap etc that somebody else donates along with the food) have complained that either they don't like that particular brand of toothpaste, their kid is used to 'junior' toothpaste, or best of all, the toothbrushes are a bit crap.

Seriously, people so down on their luck that they are given a box of food and domestic supplies, complaining that the toothbrush is basic.

Does anyone remember liquid toothpaste 

whiskey?

Is that that horrible stuff that Scotch people drink ?

not with an 'e' in it, no

it'll be the rough stuff our Irish friends knock out for the yank tourist market

the Welsh actually invented, 'wisgi', just after they discovered america

People who refuse to wait for others to alight from a train before storming aboard in a selfish attempt to get a seat. 

Words cannot describe how much I utterly loathe these people.

Well. actually they can but it's far too early in the morning to be making Auschwitz jokes.

Toothpaste

Or more specifically why there are 538 different varieties of the same brand all offering to do different things

Just put all the formula together and make one that does it all FFS

I thought you liked free market capitalism? What you're suggesting sounds rather Soviet...
Same brand was the clue
Same principle. Somebody in their market research department (that's your area, isn't it?) has worked out that they can gain an advantage over their competitors by offering more apparent 'choice'. If it didn't make them money, they wouldn't do it. Real crisp flavours, imaginary toothpaste flavours - comes down to the same thing.

People who refuse to wait for others to alight from a train before storming aboard in a selfish attempt to get a seat. Residents of Milton Keynes and fat 'foreign' tourists attending 'Harry Potter World' near Watford Junction, please note.

Humbug.

This pops up frequently and its a real hate of mine, I wish I was double wide and hard as nails so people would bounce off me.

People who refuse to wait for others to alight from a train before storming aboard in a selfish attempt to get a seat. 

Words cannot describe how much I utterly loathe these people.

You're doing it wrong. Those people are the highlight of my day.

The look on their faces as they bounce off me while I attempt to walk straight through me never disappoints.

• Like 2

People who refuse to wait for others to alight from a train before storming aboard in a selfish attempt to get a seat. Residents of Milton Keynes and fat 'foreign' tourists attending 'Harry Potter World' near Watford Junction, please note.

Humbug.

Also when there are twelve doors on a train and everybody on the platform decides to use just one of them.

• Like 1

Toothpaste

Or more specifically why there are 538 different varieties of the same brand all offering to do different things

Just put all the formula together and make one that does it all FFS

I thought you liked free market capitalism? What you're suggesting sounds rather Soviet...
Same brand was the clue
Same principle. Somebody in their market research department (that's your area, isn't it?) has worked out that they can gain an advantage over their competitors by offering more apparent 'choice'. If it didn't make them money, they wouldn't do it. Real crisp flavours, imaginary toothpaste flavours - comes down to the same thing.

ahh my bad  , i guess i was looking at it more from a view point that everyone needs toothpaste and thus if Colgate made 1 flavour they would shift 2 million of them and if they made 4 flavours they would shift 500 ,000 of each of them (give or take)  .. but still 2m units  ... rather than from a marketing /commercial pov

yes my job involves working with companies to sucker consumers into buying products they don't need or want :) .. one of the new products I worked on has just hit the shops in the last few weeks , always get a warm feeling when I see a new launch that I played .01 % in :)

Edited by tonyh29

Well done Sly.

Another one is people who get on the bus and then get back off  a couple of hundred yards down the road. They could've easily walked, it's not as if Bus fare is cheap these days either.

In my early days in IT/education, suits and ties were de rigeur. Oddly, I used to quite like it, for the same reason I never minded wearing a school uniform - it gave me something to change out of, and into my 'real me' clothes when I got home. It delineated the work and off-duty worlds quite nicely. 

In latter years, everybody went into work dressed casually, but I still felt I had to change into some other casual gear when I got home. 

My factory worker dad had the same thing in reverse - worked in dirty overalls, came home and felt he had to put on smart clothes (sometimes even a tie) before he could relax. Same principle.

I've actually read white papers from management consultants basically saying that they've observed an increased willingness to do unpaid work at home after casual dressing policies are implemented, likely for the reason you cite. There's also some speculation that loosening internet filters and offering free comfort food has similar effects. The typical American tech firm (at least those which are recent startups) take that line of thinking to heart; making the work experience as much like an American university student's life as possible either encourages or selects for those who are willing to work 70 or 80 hours a week.

ive got the stone roses auto biography and in the book it mentions a lot about squire being a big page fan. 

Does a cat have hairy feet?

good man.

I'd like to have seen John Squire in the "It Might Get Loud" movie, instead of The Edge. 

Although I suppose the idea was three contrasting styles (Edge, Page and Jack White).

Of course, they could have just had Alex Lifeson and gotten all the contrasting styles for the price of one....

Well done Sly.

Another one is people who get on the bus and then get back off a couple of hundred yards down the road. They could've easily walked, it's not as if Bus fare is cheap these days either.

If you have a bus pass, then why the eff not eh?

My mate's being a dick.

4 of us are heading to Leeds tomorrow. We're mates from Uni, haven't seen each other in 3 years, so should be good.

I randomly suggested we go and play Footgolf tomorrow (yeah, it's a real thing) as there's a course in leeds and sounds like it'd be a laugh.

3 of us are up for it, but this one mate decided a couple of years ago that he hates football and everything to do with it. So as a result, he's refusing to play (even though it's not football)

So whilst that's annoying, I respect his decision so I said fine, I don't want to force somebody to do something they don't want to this weekend so we'll just do something else"

But he's now INSISTING that we watch some of the cricket (I know right?) and/or the Rugby tomorrow as he's been looking forward to it and doesn't want to miss it. Neither of the rest of us are remotely interested in what happens in either the cricket or the rugby. And he can't see how he's being hypocritical.

he's a stubborn word removed and won't back down. Last year he missed his mate's stag do because they wanted to start by going to see NEwcastle play and then a night out followed by go karting the next day. He refused to go because of the football

(yes, this is the same mate who then missed our other mate's wedding because he'd already booked tickets to the ballet)

Even though I obviously don't know him, he sound's like a jerk. Also 3 years not seeing someone is a long time so they may be different. They wouldn't be missed.

Edited by Voinjama

Â