Greatest English Film Ever

maqroll

The Crying game was very cool and cutting edge when it came out, I really liked it. Didn't age that well, but very smart film of it's time. 

Lock Stock

Nil By Mouth

Let him Have It

Don't forget Bhaji on the Beach, I don't because I was flying high on X when I watched it

I have a place in my heart for Hope & Glory

Is it an English film if the director is American, cuz From Hell is an under appreciated horror flick

• Like 1

On 30/06/2013 at 10:44, leemond2008 said:

Anything with Danny dyer in it

He is a tremendous actor, probably second only to Jason Statham but I can't include most of his films because America have realised what a tremendous talent he is and have stole him away from us.

Funny never really rated Danny dyer as ab actor, Christopher eccleston on the other hand is one of my all time fav English actors

From looking at these choices I'm noticing a lot of UK films seem to be really gritty and bleak, doesn't seem to offer the same level escapsim you get from other cinema.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, useless said:

From looking at these choices I'm noticing a lot of UK films seem to be really gritty and bleak, doesn't seem to offer the same level escapsim you get from other cinema.

Peter Sellers, Winnie The Pooh and Willy Wonka all fecked off to the States, leaving us with 'Summer Holiday'. 

On 11/06/2019 at 18:17, Xela said:

"You're there mate *clenches fist*"

I could watch that scene on a loop for the rest of my life.  Utterly brilliant.  

@mjmooney Have you watched it yet?  

10 minutes ago, useless said:

They did, it can be a strange and beautiful world sometimes.

Sellers made 'The Mouse That Roared' and 'Heavens Above' (with strong Birmingham accent) before he left for Clouseau.

They're watchable but you can see why they don't make many lists.

On 11/06/2019 at 14:46, Shropshire Lad said:

10 Rillington Place is a fairly chilling film. There I was thinking Richard Attenborough was just a nice old dinosaur making grandad.

I feel like a few of Ben Wheatley’s films warrant a mention -

Kill List, Sightseers (the similarities with Nuts in May are there, but then it goes darker, real macabre comedy) and the real trippy- civil war era A Field in England was very memorable.

Oh and staying with the English Civil War, Witchfinder General probably deserves a mention too.

I really enjoyed Kill List.  Loved the way it started out as a typical kitchen sink, dinner table drama, then goes absolutely bonkers.  Sightseers was decent as well, although a bit daft.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Directed by a Frenchman admittedly  but as it was filmed in England, “Roundhay Garden Scene” should get a mention.

I guess it drags a bit in the middle, but otherwise it’s pretty epic.

Filmed not far from where I live. As was his other epic "Traffic Crossing Leeds Bridge". 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Filmed not far from where I live. As was his other epic "Traffic Crossing Leeds Bridge". 

Hadn’t seen that one...I have now.

Interesting character Louis Le Prince, appears to have been ahead of the competition in film making. His disappearance is a curious one too.

On 12/06/2019 at 03:05, maqroll said:

Don't forget Bhaji on the Beach, I don't because I was flying high on X when I watched it

One of the all-time best sentences in the English language IMO. Everything in this, from content to punctuation, is perfection. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Just skimmed through this thread and I can’t see any mention of “The Day of the Jackal”.

Fantastic film.

Great shout and one I'd totally forgot about.  Haven't seen it for a few years, but one I always enjoy watching. 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Watched The Wrong Trousers (Nick Park) and This Happy Breed (David Lean) recently, two great English films. Wrong Trousers is near perfect, has almost everything, charm, funny, suspense, inventive, well paced, and s good story over all. This Happy Breed looks great, is well edited and directed, well acted, and the dialgue is great, and for a near two hour film that doesn't have a major plot as such it never gets boring

• Like 2

Â