Greatest English Film Ever

maqroll

On 30/06/2013 at 11:52, Risso said:

The greatest scene from the greatest English film ever.

I couldn't decide between that and 'Sex Lives of the Potato Men'.

I was literally thinking of posting that as a joke when I read this 😁

Filmed in Brum though. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I remember a film discussion on VT some years ago in which several posters stated that they had never seen a black & white film, and would never watch one. 

Why would I watch a classic movie in black and white when I could watch The Fast and the Furious 18 in fabulous 4D?

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Why would I watch a classic movie in black and white when I could watch The Fast and the Furious 18 in fabulous 4D?

That was pretty much the argument, iirc. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Madness.  What on earth did they do before Depression-era wizard Crandalf the Fabulous invented colour and everything was black and white?

It's an oft-quoted idea that life in Britain in the 1950s was lived in b&w, until the 1960s turned it all into colour. 

When I were a lad there always seemed to be a Dirk Bogarde film on telly early in the morning after returning from clubbing. 

Got quite into them, I wouldn't say best films but entertaining nevertheless. 

On 19/12/2022 at 23:10, GlobalVillan said:

Stepping away from the previously mentioned gritty films, I think Educating Rita and Shirley Valentine are both superb classics.

Rita, Sue and Bob Too

11 hours ago, John said:

I can watch these films time and time again:

image.jpeg.f7ed696f8e369c739661a2537a64069c.jpeg  image.jpeg.7ebb9d2fa49d395f05193380c6617702.jpeg image.jpeg.02b9be5291993c1b9a430adcba7f4c5c.jpeg image.jpeg.d69720e15e6f51ecce84d5ad39b05ae7.jpeg image.jpeg.869434cccfd5b49126141b3f9d2b3da3.jpeg

And I've never seen any of them, although with the latter 3 that'll be because they're war films (or set in war) and that's usually enough for me to steer clear.

• Shocked 1

26 minutes ago, BOF said:

And I've never seen any of them, although with the latter 3 that'll be because they're war films (or set in war) and that's usually enough for me to steer clear.

For what it’s worth, that it’s set during the Second World War is pretty much irrelevant in the case of A Matter of Life and Death (at least how I remember it).

19 minutes ago, BOF said:

The Dam Busters was regularly shown at my school cinema club and I think The First of the Few was pretty popular too.

The Cruel Sea was on so often that we used to know parts of the script.

I was a big fan of Went The Day Well?, and I also liked The Way Ahead, which are beautifully made propaganda films.

The joke was that The Great Escape was on every Christmas, but I don't think it actually was.

7 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The joke was that The Great Escape was on every Christmas, but I don't think it actually was.

That's one I have seen, and it is a great movie.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BOF said:

That is quite surprising. 

51 minutes ago, BOF said:

I can only recommend that you give them a try and the last one is not really a "war film" as such. image.jpeg.bead6328b6a8c48b2bd92d2dcad3c716.jpeg

12 minutes ago, John said:

I can only recommend that you give them a try and the last one is not really a "war film" as such. image.jpeg.bead6328b6a8c48b2bd92d2dcad3c716.jpeg

If I come across one over Christmas I might sit and watch.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Anything with Norman Wisdom in, me and my dad used to be in hysterics watching them. Daft as a brush

It was one of those rare occasions when familial happiness reigned when we went to see On The Beat at Kingstanding Odeon.

My other favourite is Square Peg, where Hattie Jacques is brilliant playing the German officer's lover.

14 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

It was one of those rare occasions when familial happiness reigned when we went to see On The Beat at Kingstanding Odeon.

My other favourite is Square Peg, where Hattie Jacques is brilliant playing the German officer's lover.

Jesus your memory is better than mine

Â