Greatest English Film Ever

maqroll

On 11/06/2019 at 08:37, Stevo985 said:

Still haven't seen Dead Man's Shoes.

Don't know what I'm playing at

On 11/06/2019 at 09:18, mjmooney said:

Just rereading this thread, all the usual suspect films crop up, but then I keep seeing votes for this Dead Man's Shoes. I've genuinely never even heard of it. 

Tell me these 2 situations have been resolved by now. I came in to mention this film and a search showed me it is well represented already, so that's good. But you've had over 3 years now to watch it.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Tell me these 2 situations have been resolved by now. I came in to mention this film and a search showed me it is well represented already, so that's good. But you've had over 3 years now to watch it.

Nope. 

What are the hard and fast rules on criteria here, and do they stretch as far as co-written and produced by Englishmen (where the other writer and director was Japanese and the story was based on a South African book)?

2 hours ago, BOF said:

Haha yeah I’ve seen it. Predictably wonderful stuff

4 hours ago, hogso said:

Watch Fireman Sam first. 

Here's a question; why the feck was Norman never thrown in jail?  It's the same ginger shit setting the fires every week, at what point do they accept that he's a dangerous Welsh pyromaniac?

7 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

Here's a question; why the feck was Norman never thrown in jail?  It's the same ginger shit setting the fires every week, at what point do they accept that he's a dangerous Welsh pyromaniac?

It's prime picking for a gritty, adult, sequel film, where Sam is retired, and Norman has moved on to more...nefarious activities. 

I'd call it........Pontypandy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

I'll throw these two classics in the mix..

Great Expectations(1946)

Lord of the Flies(1963)

I was waiting for a David Lean film to appear and Great Expectations is certainly worthy of a vote.

Lawrence of Arabia or Bridge on the River Kwai, and even In Which We Serve, are also worthy.

I can remember Spielberg saying that Lawrence of Arabia was his greatest inspiration.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

After some thought, my vote would go to Carol Reed's The Third Man.

I remember a film discussion on VT some years ago in which several posters stated that they had never seen a black & white film, and would never watch one. 

12 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

On 16/12/2022 at 06:50, Stevo985 said:

This guy is an absolute menace to society. How he hasn’t been locked up yet is a scandal. 

Costing the public services thousands of pounds a week. 

Sign my petition to get this monster off the streets

ADE6FB11-F7C2-4D9C-9825-F7CB17791A87.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I remember a film discussion on VT some years ago in which several posters stated that they had never seen a black & white film, and would never watch one. 

Madness.  What on earth did they do before Depression-era wizard Crandalf the Fabulous invented colour and everything was black and white?

Â