Greatest English Film Ever

maqroll

Think most of the big (and best) ones have been mentioned.

School for Scoundrels is good, although when watching it I’m rooting for Terry Thomas instead of Ian Carmichael.

The League of Gentlemen (1960) likewise is fun. It’s like a British version of Ocean’s 11, although I believe it was released just before the Sinatra original. If you like The Lavender Hill Mob it’s definitely worth a watch.

One that can’t be considered as a great English film, but as I liked it when I was a kid, the 13 year old me would want me to mention it - Staggered. Martin Clunes is getting married, his best man gets him blind drunk on the stag do (maybe drugged) and Clunes wakes up to find himself naked on a remote Scottish Island. I think he has a week to get back in time for the wedding. Hilarity then ensues.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1

The Life of Brian. 

Brian: Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't need to follow me. You don't need to follow anybody! You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!

Crowd: Yes! We're all individuals!

Brian: You're all different!

Crowd: Yes, we are all different!

Man in crowd: Err... I'm not...

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, useless said:

Wrong Trousers is near perfect, has almost everything, charm, funny, suspense, inventive, well paced, and s good story over all. 

Agreed, and that's a good shout. 

But if we're going down that route, then I'm having Paddington 2. 

• Like 1

On 30/06/2013 at 15:04, 8pints said:

This is a film I enjoy, in a guilty pleasure type of way

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTQwODcwNTIyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTUyMTM4NA@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

Theatre of Blood (1973)

A Shakespearean actor takes poetic revenge on the critics who denied him recognition.

Used over six gallons of fake blood. Diana Rigg regards it as her best film and Vincent Price said it was his favourite of all the films he made.

But this is the film I'd put forward

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTI5Mzk1MDc2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjIzMDA0MQ@@._V1_SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

Dead Man's Shoes (2004)

A disaffected soldier returns to his hometown to get even with the thugs who brutalized his mentally-challenged brother years ago.

Nevermind the greatest English film, this is the greatest film ever, in my opinion. And if you haven't seen it I'd recommend you seek it out. But, don't take my word for it, let the star and co-writer Paddy Considine tell you about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlQpAi9cNz0

Please don't hate me, but while I liked Dead Man's Shoes, it felt a bit unfinished to me. There were some incredible sections, to be sure, not least the famous scene where Paddy can barely contain his rage when confronted, but as a whole I thought the pacing was a bit problematic, and some scenes felt a bit like padding. Again, just my opinion, please don't shoot me. 

Â