Greatest English Film Ever

maqroll

But this is the film I'd put forward

MV5BMTI5Mzk1MDc2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjIz

Dead Man's Shoes (2004)

That's at least four of us in this thread now, so I declare it the winner! :)

it does make me wonder what we like as people if a film about revenge with the most sickening killing scenes is our favourite ever film. You certainly don't leave that films with any feel good factor. In the 1970s 'a clockwork orange' was deemed to be the most violent film ever made, we have certainly moved on in that direction.

Edited by PaulC

it does make me wonder what we like as people if a film about revenge with the most sickening killing scenes is our favourite ever film. You certainly don't leave that films with any feel good factor. In the 1970s 'a clockwork orange' was deemed to be the most violent film ever made, we have certainly moved on in that direction.

Well, I suppose revenge is an extremely powerful emotion, and add that to a superbly acted and shot film, then for me it's brilliant.  I like lots of non-violent films as well though.  Keeping to the theme, Withnail & I is superb, and there isn't much violence other than threats from the mad irish bloke in the pub, and Boon in the pub with a dead eel.

Best British Film

Restless Natives

and also happens to answer the questions of Best British Soundtrack as well :)

Restless-Natives-Scotland.jpg

Its not even the best Scottish Film - that has to be Gregory's Girl just because Clare Grogan is in it

Not sure whether it constitutes a 'British' film, but it had a British director who trudged around for 20 years trying to raise the money to make it, so my vote would go for 'Gandhi'

I am sure that better read people would pick the eyes out of the accuracy of the movie, but I think it is a creditable depiction of one of mankind's truly great men, and one that could be used as an educational tool for so many people.

It was also probably the last major film to use thousands of extras in a large crowd scene, before the days of computer generation.

I think The Remains of the Day has to be rated among the best. Anthony Hopkins in a masterclass performance, brilliant photography and score, and just a gripping film altogether.

I thought Tyranosaur was brilliant, and by association, that whole Ken Loach look and feel (I know Ty wasn't a Loach but you get the point).

Tyranosaur was brutal and compelling.

• Like 1

Â