Gareth Barry (Man City)

Si.

254 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Barry back?

Gareth Barry had a straight choice. Sign a bumper new contract at Villa Park & try & help us secure Champions league status or swan off to money bags Manchester City on Mega Bucks & try & get them to do the same.

He chose Man City over us. His choice pure & simple. I have not forgotten, nor have many others.

There I rest my case

What case is that? That you need to get out more?  ;)

I think its clear he made the right decision.

The point I made was that we all know what that decision was, how it was reached & that it wasn't us.

So?

So hopefully you get the point?

I'm not saying you have to agree with it - you don't.

I just hope that it is a clear point, that is easily comprehended, with no room for misinterpretation.

So...................Hopefully that is now clear.

Hopefully what is clear? That you are bitter that a footballer transferred clubs?

I am not in the least bit bitter, not even remotely. I have already stated that in my opinion Gareth Barry has been the best player for England over the past 10 years. I am not slating his ability. He is an excellent footballer or should I say was. If it wasn't for his lack of pace he could have been a real game changer.

I am not slating him either for making lots of money though I do argue that that was his main reason for joining Man City & that winning trophies was second. Go back & read my posts & you will see this is all clear.

The point, which appears lost on you despite my desperate attempt to spell it out to you is that Barry chose Man City against us at a crucial time in our development when we were actually in with a chance of achieving Champions League football ourselves, so, given his choice then, I would much rather that he didn't return to Villa at anytime ever now.

Please explain to me where you see the bitterness in my post?

Our midfield ain't great Mantis, it's nowhere near the level of 10/11 even.

Barry would be a good pick up. Would do well alongside Westwood.

He moved to city, won the league and FA cup plus played CL football. He made the right choice and didn't leave "just for the money" like some claim

Yep. Turned out well for him he didn't go to Liverpool in the end.

^^^ Exactly, he has never relied on pace and has if anything improved whilst at City. Anyone who would seriously turn him down must be mad.

I do love comments like this. 

Whilst he never relied on his pace that doesn't mean as he gets less mobile it wont effect him, which it has.

He's just not right for us anymore anyway.

Really? Last time I checked he was a regular for a team who has finished 2nd and won the league in their last two seasons with him in their midfield. If his mobility had diminished would he be starting for a team like that?

Nope, he has adapted his game if anything. He'd be a great player for us, what exactly about him isn't right for us? The fact that he's a very good passer? The fact that his positional sense is excellent? The fact that he knows the role of a central midfielder like the back of his hand? The fact that he has top drawer experience?

The only issue is wages and that is totally on him. If he was prepared to take a huge cut then I'd welcome him with open arms.

Yeah he is and it was last season that he didn't play that well, he's surrounded by world class talent, you cant honestly think he is as good as the other players there and in City terms they had a poor season. They rarely excelled and were poor in CL and Uefa Cup. Many times last season City were televised and he had a poor game. If he stays there next season I doubt he'll get as much game time. If these links are coming up its because his agent is touting him around, I wonder why that is.

The fact we play a totally different game, one of high tempo and pressing. Aside from that he just doesn't fit with the philosophy the club and manager is taking, I cant believe people cant see that.

The only issue is not wages.

• Like 1

Barry chose Man City against us at a crucial time in our development when we were actually in with a chance of achieving Champions League football ourselves, so, given his choice then, I would much rather that he didn't return to Villa at anytime ever now.

Given the sentence above it, is that a serious question?

Barry chose Man City against us at a crucial time in our development when we were actually in with a chance of achieving Champions League football ourselves, so, given his choice then, I would much rather that he didn't return to Villa at anytime ever now.

Yes! He chose Man City & if it transpires that they want to dispense  with his services so be it. He made it perfectly clear last time that Villa didn't match his ambitions so why would I want him back now. I am not bitter, but just stating the facts as they were at that time & merely asking the question what is so different about us now that he saw fit to leave us in the first place. We are actually lower in the league now too. So the point I am making is that the reasons Barry made for wanting away in the first place now make it impossible for him to return or am I missing something here?

One thing that hasn't changed in all that time is my love for the Villa. (something that you may be getting confused with bitterness?) I loved the Villa when Barry left & I love them with the same equal passion today.

Just out of curiosity Woody, do you still think we have the worst ever midfield in the Premier League?

Its not the worst ever. However KEA,Bannan,Delph,Westwood,Sylla,Herd and Gardner is not exactly a great central midfield list is it?

Just out of curiosity Woody, do you still think we have the worst ever midfield in the Premier League?

Its not the worst ever. However KEA,Bannan,Delph,Westwood,Sylla,Herd and Gardner is not exactly a great central midfield list is it?

It's definitely not great, far from it infact but it does have a decent amount of potential.

I don't know how many of you actually watched Barrh last year but he's not the player he once was. At 32 and on the decline, he's only going to get worse.

He's no Carrick or Scholes that can keep it up with age. His passing is good but not that good

Yes! He chose Man City & if it transpires that they want to dispense  with his services so be it. He made it perfectly clear last time that Villa didn't match his ambitions so why would I want him back now. I am not bitter, but just stating the facts as they were at that time & merely asking the question what is so different about us now that he saw fit to leave us in the first place. We are actually lower in the league now too. So the point I am making is that the reasons Barry made for wanting away in the first place now make it impossible for him to return or am I missing something here?

One thing that hasn't changed in all that time is my love for the Villa. (something that you may be getting confused with bitterness?) I loved the Villa when Barry left & I love them with the same equal passion today.

But the facts (Barry chose City over staying here) and your subsequent opinion that you don't want him back, are only linked by your personal feelings. They have no bearing on whether or not he might come back. 

logic fail.

Two nights ago I mentioned we should try to sign Tomas Rosicky because he is the type of midfielder we need right now and a lot of you agreed with me but said that he is not a Lambert type signing because he is too old. I said that Rosicky's experience would be good to have but again, he is not a Lambert type signing. So now I ask, why is Rosicky not a Lambert type signing, but suddenly Barry is. 

It's definitely not great, far from it infact but it does have a decent amount of potential.

That is true, but potential does not help us right about now. Football is always about the next season, we cannot rely on their ability in three years when we start our season in two months. Sure we are covered and we will survive just fine, but one should always strive for the best and we clearly are lightweight in actual ability in the midfield department.

Two nights ago I mentioned we should try to sign Tomas Rosicky because he is the type of midfielder we need right now and a lot of you agreed with me but said that he is not a Lambert type signing because he is too old. I said that Rosicky's experience would be good to have but again, he is not a Lambert type signing. So now I ask, why is Rosicky not a Lambert type signing, but suddenly Barry is. 

Who is that directed at?

But the facts (Barry chose City over staying here) and your subsequent opinion that you don't want him back, are only linked by your personal feelings. They have no bearing on whether or not he might come back.

Its not impossible for Barry to return. Far from it, he gave us ten years service and he earned his right to leave and challenge for honours and play in the CL. He would be welcome back at Villa Park, anyone who wouldnt welcome him back is very ungrateful. Players with ambition will not spend their careers at Villa we are not big enough to hold on to good players.

Â