Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

The amount of lucky results they got last season surely can’t happen again. They were so poor the majority of the season, so I can’t see how they’ll not be in a relegation battle next season. 

Hopefully the takeover falling through takes the wind from their sails and next season is a struggle for them! 

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

If he's made £17m from it then the PIF should be asking some big questions of Staveley... 

Fees etc I can understand if there is a substantial cost still but handing over 5%? 

I don’t think that’s unusual (if anything 10% would be more likely). Ultimately the investors are the ones that pulled out so it’s their deposit to forfeit. Who knows what happened behind the scenes but it’s just a transaction gone bad. What’s £17m when you’re playing with hundreds of billions? They won’t even notice it leaving their accounts. 

26 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I suspect they will go for a championship club now.

Hopefully not blose 🤢

If there were major questions about the bidders, I'd imagine the FL would also have similar concerns. 

As for blose- even the Saudi billions couldn't polish that turd.

Was just about to tuck into my brekky when this article popped up and made those honey rings taste sooo much sweeter 

Newcastle fans 'confused and heartbroken' by takeover collapse

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53601334

I mean they have my sympathy - BUT, in this article their representative wonders why the premier league didn't account for the 'moral' issues of what this meant to that region of the country (weightier than the moral issue of MURDER??). And that they have suffered from lack of investment - y'know, despite that RECORD TRANSFER last summer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I suspect they will go for a championship club now.

Hopefully not blose 🤢

I think that's it now for any state to purchase a club - according to the beeb article above there's a will now to tighten up the rules to prevent this from happening again. I like this because with NSWE I see a path to competing one day with the top clubs, and I don't want another Citeh moment getting in the way of that. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Anyone have subtitles for that?

There are auto-generated subs available on YouTube and it actually does a pretty good job (well I presume so, I can't be completely sure what he's saying of course). There are some delightful errors though:

"the Saudis patience has worn thin" gets subbed as "the Saudis patience is war thumb"

and when asked if he can see the problems relating to the poor human rights record, he says:

"I cannae see the problem" but it gets subbed as "I kind of see the problem", which he may later wish he'd actually said.

"we'll do nothing under Mike Ashley" = "we'll do nothing in the mic actually".

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 2

Another excellent article putting it into perspective

Put the cans back in the fridge. Take down the Kylian Mbappé poster from your bedroom wall. Quietly delete the Saudi Arabia flag from your Twitter handle. Yes, the end is nigh for one of English football’s most unlikely summer romances. Boy meets sovereign wealth fund. Boy loses sovereign wealth fund over television piracy issues. Boy pockets £17m deposit. A tale as old as time itself.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/jul/30/newcastle-united-narrow-escape-takeover-saudi-arabia

• Like 2

I've always found it strange that people want to criticise certain regimes (I'm not a fan of the Saud's for the way they got in to power btw) yet it's our governments that are willing to sell weapons and continue to do so even after their questionable records.

The UK is to resume arms sales to Saudi Arabia despite concerns they could be used against civilians in Yemen, in violation of international humanitarian law.  Sales were suspended last year after a legal challenge by campaigners.  A subsequent review found "isolated incidents" of possible violations but no pattern of non-compliance and "no clear risk" of future serious breaches.

.....In May, the Trump administration issued an emergency declaration to push through an $8.1 billion arms deal to Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Jordan without congressional approval.......

Who's in the wrong? the person who uses the gun or the person sells the gun to the murderer.

I noticed no-one is mentioning that the Reuben brothers are also part of the deal. Their morality hasn't been questioned?? 

Edited by Sulberto21

5 hours ago, villan-scott said:

The amount of lucky results they got last season surely can’t happen again. They were so poor the majority of the season, so I can’t see how they’ll not be in a relegation battle next season. 

Hopefully the takeover falling through takes the wind from their sails and next season is a struggle for them! 

i said it before but at one point they got 6 points from one shot on target.

• Haha 1

I have to say, Ashley knows how to make money doesn’t he. Making them put down a £17m non-refundable deposit 👏 
In the scheme of things Newcastle are realistically about as high as they can be. They aren’t a big club, top players won’t really want to play there unless paid OTT wages. They’re in the top flight, no imminent danger of relegation. 
I have a feeling that if/when they finally get shot of Mike they drop like a stone and reminisce about how it wasn’t that bad after all.

Â