Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

13 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Not expected to face any further ban apparently. 

How is that even feasible?

What are the charges intended to achieve then?

44 minutes ago, Genie said:

Exactly. I have sympathy for anyone consumed with a gambling addiction, but to bet on stuff that will get you sacked from your multimillion pound job, after already being under investigation is utterly stupid and moronic. Bet on something else if you really HAVE to place a bet.

Not to greatly disagree with this, but would he have known he was under investigation at the time these bets were placed?

52 minutes ago, Genie said:

Exactly. I have sympathy for anyone consumed with a gambling addiction, but to bet on stuff that will get you sacked from your multimillion pound job, after already being under investigation is utterly stupid and moronic. Bet on something else if you really HAVE to place a bet.

Sadly, addiction doesn't involve the kind of normal, rational thinking of someone who isn't addicted.

Unlike Toney, this seems to be a guy who has an actual problem.  Football needs to take a long, hard look at itself instead of enforcing bans for it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Not to greatly disagree with this, but would he have known he was under investigation at the time these bets were placed?

It looks like the latest known bet was 12th October which was the same day he and Zaniolo were sent home from the Italy squad due to being under investigation. Maybe it stopped there once he knew he was in trouble.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Football needs to take a long, hard look at itself instead of enforcing bans for it.

I don't think it needs to be one or the other tbh. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Football needs to take a long, hard look at itself instead of enforcing bans for it.

Because of the obvious chance of corruption and match fixing football needs to hand out heavy fines and bans for anyone involved in betting. It should be clear to all professional footballers that betting on football is something they cannot do, regardless of whether they are involved in the match or not. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

I assume the idea is that they are a warning to other footballers to remind them not to get involved in betting on football. 

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

Because of the obvious chance of corruption and match fixing football needs to hand out heavy fines and bans for anyone involved in betting. It should be clear to all professional footballers that betting on football is something they cannot do, regardless of whether they are involved in the match or not. 

Unless they can prove match fixing or spot betting involving a player (both of which should lead to lengthy bans irrespective), what is banning a player doing exactly?  It's a sport absolutely filled to the rafters with sport betting advertising.  Just get rid of it all and get players who may have a problem some help, instead of handing out silly bans. 

12 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I assume the idea is that they are a warning to other footballers to remind them not to get involved in betting on football. 

Symbolic charges are no charges at all. Joke

5 hours ago, Genie said:

If he has a gambling problem then surely he can scratch that itch by gambling on the millions of other markets available that aren’t going to get him sacked?

Depends if it's just boredom or he actually wanted to make a financial gain out of things. Think it was Merse's first book when he admitted he was just betting on anything for the sake of it so impulsive behaviour there.

The story only broke in September I think so Tonali I get the feeling was doing what Paqueta has been alleged to but his case is obviously becoming much harder to prove.

I think Xhaka was lucky to get away with things when he was being investigated a year or so ago as his bookings were very odd given the timing of them.

Edit: I think we need to be careful getting on our high horse and laughing at Ashworth and them when in reality Zaniolo also has gambling issues. However he seemingly hasn't been betting on anything related directly to Football and he's remained a peripheral player for us as the season has gone on so losing him for months wouldn't have been a big loss for the season but the principle remains.

Edited by VillaChris

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Depends if it's just boredom or he actually wanted to make a financial gain out of things. Think it was Merse's first book when he admitted he was just betting on anything for the sake of it so impulsive behaviour there.

The story only broke in September I think so Tonali I get the feeling was doing what Paqueta has been alleged to but his case is obviously becoming much harder to prove.

I think Xhaka was lucky to get away with things when he was being investigated a year or so ago as his bookings were very odd given the timing of them.

Edit: I think we need to be careful getting on our high horse and laughing at Ashworth and them when in reality Zaniolo also has gambling issues. However he seemingly hasn't been betting on anything related directly to Football and he's remained a peripheral player for us as the season has gone on so losing him for months wouldn't have been a big loss for the season but the principle remains.

Just in general, I'd guess there are many footballers in the same situation, our own club included. Gambling addiction isn't to be sniffed at (that's cocaine addiction, I JOKE) - at any level of income, it can get ya

8 hours ago, est1874 said:

How is that even feasible?

NUFC apparently stating, or 'leaking', they are not expecting any further punishment for Tonali, reminds me of defence lawyers who attempt to influence sentencing by stating they are not expecting any custodial sentence to exceed any time already spent on remand.

I wonder if NUFC will appeal for any punishment to be concurrent and not consecutive to his current ban and will the punishment depend on a persuasive payment.

2 hours ago, brommy said:

NUFC apparently stating, or 'leaking', they are not expecting any further punishment for Tonali, reminds me of defence lawyers who attempt to influence sentencing by stating they are not expecting any custodial sentence to exceed any time already spent on remand.

I wonder if NUFC will appeal for any punishment to be concurrent and not consecutive to his current ban and will the punishment depend on a persuasive payment.

Tonali has until next week to respond. You could interpret the Newcastle leaks as soft pressure on the FA to not consider any further bans. I guess it comes down to the substance of the bets. It would make little sense to charge him but not enforce any punishment - unless there’s cause for big concern. 

• Like 1

He also allegedly put bets on Newcastle winning games after joining 

“Telegraph Sport can reveal that some of those bets are said to have included games Newcastle were involved in, although  it is understood that the 23-year-old has never backed his own team to lose.”

6 hours ago, The_Steve said:

He also allegedly put bets on Newcastle winning games after joining 

“Telegraph Sport can reveal that some of those bets are said to have included games Newcastle were involved in, although  it is understood that the 23-year-old has never backed his own team to lose.”

It doesn't really matter if he was only betting on them to win, it's effectively insider trading. We've seen team news leak when premier league players change their fantasy teams, dropping team mates for example. 

For me betting on your own team or own game, win lose draw, corners, yellow cards whatever is irrelevant it's a massive no no 

Betting on non league Im not really fussed, betting on who wins the next corner in the Ukrainian 2nd division at 2pm on a Tuesday afternoon while Sat in the office absolutely couldn't care less

Betting on other sports should definitely be allowed 

If we're saying football is full of gambling I don't mind players being able to bet on games where there is a huge degree of separation from them 

Edit the answer of course should be no one can place that Ukrainian bet but I've seen that happen at my work, it's stupid 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, villa89 said:

It doesn't really matter if he was only betting on them to win, it's effectively insider trading. We've seen team news leak when premier league players change their fantasy teams, dropping team mates for example. 

He could have bet on their being a foul or yellow card at a certain point. It’s dodgy as hell.

46 minutes ago, Genie said:

He could have bet on their being a foul or yellow card at a certain point. It’s dodgy as hell.

Hence all the speculation about the random 92nd minute yellow he got against us for walking off of the pitch too quickly when subbed - even Howe is telling him to slow down 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â