Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

10 hours ago, Davkaus said:

After spending all season moaning about fixture congestion and injuries, Newcastlle have arranged a series of post-season friendlies, a few days after the PL season ends, in Australia.

Not pre season friendlies. Post season friendlies. In the same summer as the euros

Bunch of clearings in the woods.

It's only 2 games - one against Spurs.  Arsenal women also going out there.  Australian football is in a bit of a rut so possibly something to boost the league playing off the interest in Big Ange.

Are Aussies interested in 'big Ange' though? Among western countries it doesn't seem to be a big thing that if one local person comes good then whole country are invested (Vs say China or if India had a striker playing for Man U the whole country would be following)

10 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Are Aussies interested in 'big Ange' though? Among western countries it doesn't seem to be a big thing that if one local person comes good then whole country are invested (Vs say China or if India had a striker playing for Man U the whole country would be following)

I don't think it's necessarily a Western thing, I think it's a "strong league in <sport>" thing.  China, India, South Korea et al all have national football teams, but not a league that is viewed globally and produces superstars.  The same is true of Australian football.  Whether or not Aussies were suddenly Millwall/Everton fans when Tim Cahill was there, who knows, but I think there's a natural interest in your "minority" superstar doing well in the big time.

I can't think of many examples for English sportspeople... but maybe something like boxing, where people aren't fussed at all but then all of a sudden Tyson Fury is a champion and interest from very casual viewers increases massively.

40 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's only 2 games - one against Spurs.  Arsenal women also going out there.  Australian football is in a bit of a rut so possibly something to boost the league playing off the interest in Big Ange.

I wouldn't be happy if we did it. They could have done this in early pre season if they really wanted to go especially when they have had so many injuries this season

Its also conning the fans as I dont think any players going to the Euros or the Copa America(i think is one on this summer) will be going

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I wouldn't be happy if we did it. They could have done this in early pre season if they really wanted to go especially when they have had so many injuries this season

Its also conning the fans as I dont think any players going to the Euros or the Copa America(i think is one on this summer) will be going

The games are right at the end of the season - 22nd and 24th May or something. Can’t see there being any real impact. 

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The games are right at the end of the season - 22nd and 24th May or something. Can’t see there being any real impact. 

England for example play on the 3rd and usually players are given a week to 10 days off before meeting up for tournaments. Not sure they be allowing players to go over to Australia

19 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don't think it's necessarily a Western thing, I think it's a "strong league in <sport>" thing.  China, India, South Korea et al all have national football teams, but not a league that is viewed globally and produces superstars.  The same is true of Australian football.  Whether or not Aussies were suddenly Millwall/Everton fans when Tim Cahill was there, who knows, but I think there's a natural interest in your "minority" superstar doing well in the big time.

I can't think of many examples for English sportspeople... but maybe something like boxing, where people aren't fussed at all but then all of a sudden Tyson Fury is a champion and interest from very casual viewers increases massively.

Good example might be Luol Deng, starter for the Chicago Bulls, two time NBA All Star, most people in UK never heard of him.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

England for example play on the 3rd and usually players are given a week to 10 days off before meeting up for tournaments. Not sure they be allowing players to go over to Australia

Champions League final is on the 1st June. Will English players be banned from competing there?

Edit: FA Cup final is 25th May too.

We’re ****!

Edited by bobzy

37 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Can't believe this erasure, smh

Dong-Fangzhuo-2.jpg

12 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Champions League final is on the 1st June. Will English players be banned from competing there?

Edit: FA Cup final is 25th May too.

We’re ****!

Yeah them players always join up later

Foden and Mount joined later for Euro 2021 when played the Champions League final

Edited by Zatman

Still just 'bad luck' with all these injuries/re-injuries? Something similar happened with Howe before though. From an article about Bournemouth's relegation:

Bournemouth were hindered by recurring injuries to players

Player injuries have always hindered Bournemouth's stay in the Premier League. They somehow managed to deal with the issue in all the previous seasons, but this season presented a challenge that Howe did not face before.

The Dorset club found themselves caught up in an injury storm for most of the last year, which reached a crescendo at the end of December when they had as many as 11 first-team players on the sidelines.

Link

Edited by oishiiniku_uk

1 minute ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Still just 'bad luck' with all these injuries/re-injuries? Something similar happened with Howe before though. From an article about Bournemouth's relegation:

Link

We've got 3 ACLs - is it "bad luck"?

Yes, yes it probably is.

• Like 1

ACLs are clearly bad luck but Newcastle have had a whole load of muscle injuries which are likely the result of howe’s playing style and lack of willingness to rotate

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Huge blow losing Botman for 9 months 

I think that pretty much guarantees them selling Guimaraes now. Need 80m + to revamp the squad a bit as can't really be going into next season with Jamal Lascelles as a regular starter.

9 hours ago, bobzy said:

We've got 3 ACLs - is it "bad luck"?

Yes, yes it probably is.

I'm not talking specifically about ACLs, more the number of injuries overall and the prevalence of players coming back too soon from injury and then missing even more time as a result. When you combine prioritizing the short-term with an intense style of play then I think the likelihood of injuries increases.
We've seen this before with other teams in recent years: in 20-21, Leeds were the fittest team in the league, ran more than anyone, pressed all over the pitch constantly, 'murderball' training etc. etc. Then in the the following season they had the most time missed through injury of all PL teams.
Same thing is happening at Newcastle now. They played a high-press, high intensity style for a season (with no European games) and it worked. Tried to do it again this time, with extra games and a small-ish squad, and it's all fallen apart for them. 
If you look at teams that play a more controlling, containing style of football, it seems to cause fewer injuries. I've not done any research into it, but it would make sense - if your players are constantly in the red zone then they are more likely to get injured.

Post season friendlies anywhere are insanely stupid. Have the big exhibition matches in July fine, but end of May is **** stupid. Why would any player want to bother with it? You'd be all ready for holiday mode and then asked to play in those games. Insane. I'd be mad if we did that. Not sure how any fan could argue its anything but stupid

• Like 1

Â