Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

It would be the same if we were owned by Egypt.  We aren't.

Rather than comparing it to Newcastle and the Saudi State would it be more like being Chelsea owned by Abramovich with his links to Putin?

To be clear, that's not what I believe as i dont know anything bad about either of our owners.

I'm just following the back and forth and going off what @HanoiVillan was posting.

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

You don't *want* to see the equivalence. Over the stadium, we fly the flag of a country that arbitrarily detains human rights activists and journalists, sometimes tortures them, carries out executions after unfair trials and has disappeared its critics, and we do so because our owner is that country's richest man and is a big fan of the military dictator ruling it. The reason he's such a big fan of al-Sisi is that al-Sisi removed taxes for rich people and overturned Sawiris' in absentia three-year suspended sentence for tax evasion. 

Got it - Nassef = Saudi Arabia. It's so obvious. 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

You don't *want* to see the equivalence

There isn’t equivalence to my mind. There are some fairly tenuous connections perhaps. This isn’t defending “our man”, rather just me seeing far more differences than similarities, let alone equivalence. On the Newcastle side, it’s basically owned by a foreign state with ‘mungous wealth and has been bought by that state to kind of promote the state. It’s sportswashing. On the Villa side half of the club is owned by a private citizen from a nation with some human rights issues. There is no sportswashing, no use of the club to promote Egypt. The private citizen is not a resident of Egypt, nor involved in running Egypt, or setting its laws. It is not remotely equivalent in practice, motive for ownership, actual ownership model or much else.

Also, while I’m rambling, I can see from a Newcastle fan perspective that it’s not as straightforward as it seems from our outside perspective.  If your football club, going to games, watching matches, meeting friends, social life is based around a history of going to watch your team over the years and then an enormously wealthy, but Stone Age nation buys the club it’s got to be a mixed feeling.  Yay! New players. Yay! Hated former owner gone. Yay! We might finally win something after 70 years, contrasted with “cripes, they’re brutal over there, really not good”. Do I stop going just when we’re on the brink of not being shit anymore, because owners I can do nothing about are nasty? Some will, most won’t.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Have you looked into how he got his money?

From memory, he inherited his dad's company or something.

In any case, I doubt very much he sat on a load of oil and then decreed that homosexuals should not exist whilst also having people beheaded - no?

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

From memory, he inherited his dad's company or something.

In any case, I doubt very much he sat on a load of oil and then decreed that homosexuals should not exist whilst also having people beheaded - no?

From what I can gather Onsi Sawiris had money that made Nassef look like a peasant, like 5x richer. He's probably inherited a fair bit of that 

3 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

From what I can gather Onsi Sawiris had money that made Nassef look like a peasant, like 5x richer. He's probably inherited a fair bit of that 

Yes, and if you have a look into how his family became so rich it makes for some interesting reading. 

4 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Yes, and if you have a look into how his family became so rich it makes for some interesting reading. 

Why don't you please tell us. It seems like you really want to. Be much easier then to see how Nas and MBS are exactly the same.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, LondonLax said:

According to a brief wikipedia it seems that he built a very successful company that was then forcibly nationalised meaning he lost it, then later when Mubarak took power he started a new one and Murbarak gave him a lot of government contracts which to be honest the government probably owed him being as you know they stole his company previously. 

9 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

What kind of apples are we talking about?

On 23/03/2023 at 23:45, Jareth said:

No I just don't see the equivalence. Sawiris is an individual businessman, he makes choices about what he wants to do with all that money and none of us know who he is as an individual. We do however know who the Saudis are, we know they chop up journalists, we know they behead gay people - you can't say we don't know who the owners of NUFC are, because we do actually know who they are - they are the Saudi state. It would never be good enough for a club with any pride. Sadly Newcastle do not have pride. 

Add class and ethics to your statement as well.

• Like 1

Interesting quotes

"I mean, even to the point of saying, 'Is the Premier League investigating it?', we can't really comment on it.

"Obviously we are completely aware. And you're correct about the general nature of the undertakings that we received at the point of takeover. But I can't really go into it at all.

"The time when the Premier League comments publicly on regulatory issues is when it's charged, and at the end of the process when an independent panel has decided whether any rule breaches have actually taken place. The investigatory process, we don't talk about at all."

So it sounds like The Premier League are looking at their ownership again after some American court has stated their Owners are defacto the Saudi Government, which they assured the Premier League they weren't. 

1 minute ago, StewieGriffin said:

Hypothetically, if they are found to be state owned, what would happen?

They cant kick the owners out or force them to sell... surely?

Well in theory they could if 14 premier league members vote for it to happen.

Just now, StewieGriffin said:

Hypothetically, if they are found to be state owned, what would happen?

They cant kick the owners out or force them to sell... surely?

The PL has the power to remove their owners

Â