Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

On 21/03/2023 at 09:20, sne said:

Really hope Brighton doesn't get it. Don't need one of our closer competitors picking up a couple £100m and becoming more attractive to bettet players.

That's not Brighton's model though. They'll still sell likes of Mitoma, Caciedo, Alexis Mc calister in next two seasons regardless if they make europe.

Leicester obviously qualified for CL in 2016....and the finished mid table/bottom half for next three seasons. Only getting in Rodgers got them back into top 6/7 so Brighton will be similar.

However if Newcastle get CL this season they will be in brilliant position to get in a couple more players of quality of Bruno Guimaraes, Trippier and Isak and we aren't finishing above them anytime soon if they do that whereas we can finish above Brighton whoever they sign.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, osmark86 said:

I'm just so happy our club isn't owned by Saudi Arabia. 

On the whole so am I, but let's not kid ourselves about who our owners are either. One of them has very close links to Egypt's military dictator, hardly a model of human rights respecting or good governance himself. 

• Like 1

Never really liked them much and now a reason to like them less.

Blood money, ethics, human rights, equality all issues that now surround their football club. Football was introduced to bring people together and not to discriminate nor persecute.

A European spot is not easy for them, Spuds, Liverplop and perhaps even Brighton could squeeze them out.

A pity Professor Emery was not in charge for our game against them and isn't it oh so sweet that he turned them down; at the time it was suggested he didn't have a good vibe about the place. I'm not surprised in the slightest; more respect to Unai Emery.

Just now, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Never really liked them much and now a reason to like them less.

Blood money, ethics, human rights, equality all issues that now surround their football club. Football was introduced to bring people together and not to discriminate nor persecute.

A European spot is not easy for them, Spuds, Liverplop and perhaps even Brighton could squeeze them out.

A pity Professor Emery was not in charge for our game against them and isn't it oh so sweet that he turned them down; at the time it was suggested he didn't have a good vibe about the place. I'm not surprised in the slightest; more respect to Unai Emery.

There will be a bad vibe. The Saudis haven't bought them to finish 8th, or 4th. They want to win as quickly as possible and will be as ruthless as it takes to achieve it, bending and breaking as many rules as possible to get away with to get there.

11 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

On the whole so am I, but let's not kid ourselves about who our owners are either. One of them has very close links to Egypt's military dictator, hardly a model of human rights respecting or good governance himself. 

I agree and honestly would prefer football to have wage caps and be less dependent on deplorable billionaires. It's about the lesser of two evils for me in this case.

• Like 1

On 22/03/2023 at 22:21, HanoiVillan said:

No I just don't see the equivalence. Sawiris is an individual businessman, he makes choices about what he wants to do with all that money and none of us know who he is as an individual. We do however know who the Saudis are, we know they chop up journalists, we know they behead gay people - you can't say we don't know who the owners of NUFC are, because we do actually know who they are - they are the Saudi state. It would never be good enough for a club with any pride. Sadly Newcastle do not have pride. 

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Jareth said:

No I just don't see the equivalence. Sawiris is an individual businessman, he makes choices about what he wants to do with all that money and none of us know who he is as an individual. We do however know who the Saudis are, we know they chop up journalists, we know they behead gay people - you can't say we don't know who the owners of NUFC are, because we do actually know who they are - they are the Saudi state. It would never be good enough for a club with any pride. Sadly Newcastle do not have pride. 

I think it’s unfair to state they don’t have pride, but their fanbase does sum up everything that’s wrong with modern football.

Hounded out Mike Ashley for daring to run the club like an actual business (even if he forked out £40m for Joelinton) and wanted Saudi Arabia to have control instead. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, osmark86 said:

I agree and honestly would prefer football to have wage caps and be less dependent on deplorable billionaires. It's about the lesser of two evils for me in this case.

We're leaving the era of billionaires behind, soon you're going to be nobody unless you have a nation state propping you up. When does it end? The Andromeda galaxy will probably buy Man U in 2300

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think it’s unfair to state they don’t have pride

I can tell you, if Villa were controlled by Saudi Arabia I would throw the towel in - it's not justifiable in any way. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I can tell you, if Villa were controlled by Saudi Arabia I would throw the towel in - it's not justifiable in any way. 

That's great.  Most wouldn't, and plenty would have celebrated going from Xia to Saudi Arabia.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

That's great.  Most wouldn't, and plenty would have celebrated going from Xia to Saudi Arabia.

It would be a sort of empty "yay!". I grew up watching Villa and loved the team, I wouldn't sign up to being owned by the Saudis. No way. Not good enough. 

12 minutes ago, Jareth said:

It would be a sort of empty "yay!". I grew up watching Villa and loved the team, I wouldn't sign up to being owned by the Saudis. No way. Not good enough. 

My Mum is a Geordie, huge Newcastle fan, hates that they're owned by the Saudis but can't just chuck away following "her team" week in, week out so still supports the team and wants them to do well.

imagine the same would be true of pretty much every Villa fan if roles were reversed.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jareth said:

You don't *want* to see the equivalence. Over the stadium, we fly the flag of a country that arbitrarily detains human rights activists and journalists, sometimes tortures them, carries out executions after unfair trials and has disappeared its critics, and we do so because our owner is that country's richest man and is a big fan of the military dictator ruling it. The reason he's such a big fan of al-Sisi is that al-Sisi removed taxes for rich people and overturned Sawiris' in absentia three-year suspended sentence for tax evasion. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

Â