Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

Just now, Stevo985 said:

You seem to have taken my comments as some sort of comparison between Bruce and Smith, with Bruce winning.

I'll clarify that in no way do I rate Bruce at Villa higher than Smith at Villa. I'm thrilled we got rid of Bruce and got Smith.

Again, the only "defence" of Bruce seems to be people, including myself, saying he wasn't absolutely shit which if you readmost of this and the Steve Bruce thread, is the impression you'd get

He's a very very average manager who did a very very average job at Villa.

Oh okay, I misunderstood. And I agree with that. That's actually literally the only point I make about him. He was very average for us when we needed more than that.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Oh okay, I misunderstood. And I agree with that. That's actually literally the only point I make about him. He was very average for us when we needed more than that.

We’ve always needed more than that, he’s one in a string of Managers who ultimately failed to deliver.

Which is why we’ve gone through Managers like I go through a bag of Munchies. 

And hence why I (and others) struggle to comprehend the level of obsession with painting him out to be anything worse.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

And hence why I (and others) struggle to comprehend the level of obsession with painting him out to be anything worse.

Obviously some people can’t give much credit but I really don’t think what you’re suggesting is the case generally at all. I think he was OK overall for us, failed towards the end (as he isn’t a squad builder) but did a really good job sorting out attitude when he first came in.

I think he’s a knob though and admit I take pleasure from him failing and the shit he comes out with. Add to that I love Newcastle failing. If I write something lighthearted on here enjoying the shite he spouts it will be about 10 minutes before I get accused of giving him no credit at all and being ‘obsessed’.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

We’ve always needed more than that, he’s one in a string of Managers who ultimately failed to deliver.

Which is why we’ve gone through Managers like I go through a bag of Munchies. 

I think it's because he's just easy to dislike because of his smugness (especially during a time where his grip on even average is becoming increasingly tenuous as the game advances), as well as his frequent spats with his dissenters, so he gets more shit than a say Paul Lambert who he's comfortably a better manager than.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Guaranteed 1-0 defeat at their place though.

Our record at st.james is awful, last memory of winning there was when bowyer and dier had that fight 16 years ago now

Also remember carew skying that pen at 0-0 when carrol scored a hatrick and lost 6-0, cisse and Remy scoring last minute winners

17 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I disagree, in the modern game I think it's most of the good ones. The ones that don't, who aren't part of the old boys club like Mark Hughes and co have slowly been phased out. In the PL. I'd say the majority of PL teams, even most of the teams at the bottom like Brighton, Burnley, Norwich and even us have a character style. I wouldn't say Potter, Farke, Dyche and Smith are particularly elite managers. That's not to mention Wilders, Nuno she Rodgers who have their take punching above their weight due to their coaching styles.

I think the emphasis on man management, which Bruce was admittedly very good at has become outdated now. For example, in the 2000's Moyes was an excellent motivator and man manager who saw plenty of success with Everton, and now he's a dinosaur, just another in the PL old boy merry-go-round. I think Bruce is in the same boat. He's by no means one of the worst though, as evidenced by the good job he's doing at Newcastle.

There are 92 football league Managers right now, how many of those fall into the 'good ones' category?

That's not even considering the plethora of Managers abroad......

33 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

There are 92 football league Managers right now, how many of those fall into the 'good ones' category?

That's not even considering the plethora of Managers abroad......

Like I said, most of the ones who are in the top division. The cream always rises etc. Also there are more and more such managers in the Championship now, which is why I think Bruce lost his magic touch there. 

26 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Like I said, most of the ones who are in the top division. The cream always rises etc. Also there are more and more such managers in the Championship now, which is why I think Bruce lost his magic touch there. 

So the 'elite' managers you mean then?

Just wondering how that translates to us in the Championship.........did you expect us to have an elite Manager in a non-elite division?

Not saying it can't or doesn't happen but surely you'd accept that elite managers outside of elite clubs/divisions are in a serious minority?

35 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

So the 'elite' managers you mean then?

Just wondering how that translates to us in the Championship.........did you expect us to have an elite Manager in a non-elite division?

Not saying it can't or doesn't happen but surely you'd accept that elite managers outside of elite clubs/divisions are in a serious minority?

Don't think Smith, Farke and Wilder were elite managers last season. Nor are Dyche and Potter. You don't have to be elite to have your own style of football, or even be very good to be honest. But, most of the good managers do.

And the trend in recent seasons is that teams with a clear identity, whether it be Warnock's kick and rush style, or Farke's passing style, tend to get promoted. In the 3 years we've been in the Championship I'd say Brighton were the only team got promoted that didn't have one. And possibly Newcastle, who were just brute forcing their way through the league with superior players.

Back to Newcastle.... 

That fan has already received a lifetime ban* and now the police announced they're investigating

Imagine ending up on the sex offenders list and banned from football cos you got your cock out to celebrate beating a league 1 team 

Absolute madness 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Back to Newcastle.... 

That fan has already received a lifetime ban* and now the police announced they're investigating

Imagine ending up on the sex offenders list and banned from football cos you got your cock out to celebrate beating a league 1 team 

Absolute madness 

I must have missed this story. What were the circumstances of him getting his knob out?

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I must have missed this story. What were the circumstances of him getting his knob out?

They scored an extra time winner in the cup replay away in the 116th minute (after blowing a 2-0 lead) 

ASM runs over to the fans to celebrate guy runs down some of the steps whips his cock out and starts windmilling (as you do) 

Somewhere between him and Newcastle blowing a 2-0 lead in a replay with a league 1 team there is plenty to talk about without rehashing the Bruce vs Smith stuff 

• Haha 2

Â