Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

They didn't win any of their first 10 games last season and stayed up (w0 - d3 - L7)

Not saying they will do it again, just that teams can recover.

Edited by MaVilla

Wow on sky football build up today the Bruce defenders are out in force.

Saying he's a great manager and it's the fans fault, the players fault and the owners fault.

Saying Bruce is good and they don't think he will be given the time to succeed because the fans are effectively picking on him

52 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Saying he's a great manager and it's the fans fault, the players fault and the owners fault.

Saying Bruce is good and they don't think he will be given the time to succeed because the fans are effectively picking on him

Sounds a little familiar. Probably his connections with that lot down the road

19 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Bruce is untouchable in the media. He’ll be sacked before Xmas I imagine and will end up somewhere like Stoke where he’ll be lauded as an amazing appointment because he did something good 5 years ago. 

Genuinely feel sorry for Newcastle fans. You only have to look at how Smith conducted himself when he came to Villa and the change in the way we played to see how outdated and utterly boring Bruce is as a manager. 

But of course, it’s still everybody else’s fault.

21 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Not sure what's especially inaccurate about that last part, the fans couldn't stand him before he'd even got to the dugout.

If Rafa managed to survive last seasons start and a generally shocking few seasons, then he should be given the same opportunity really.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Part of me wants Spurs to destroy them but other would like see a brave 1-0 defeat in which they actually have a shot. Only for next game to be a 0-4 hammering at home 

A draw is a win for Bruce, especially when managing "plucky" teams like Newcastle.

Played Spurs perfectly, it was probably the only way they were going to beat Spurs and they did it. Bruce is a half decent reactive manager, and is capable of nullifying opponents strengths. I was particularly impressed with how we played against Wolves two seasons ago. 

It will be interesting because Benitez played exactly the same sort of football as that and got lauded as a hero by the Newcastle fans. It's shocking to watch and it'll only get you so far with it. I also think it is risky because if you do happen to concede early in a game you're not prepared to go on and win the game. I can see Newcastle being better away from home this season. 

• 2 weeks later...

Michael Owen putting the boot in to Newcastle in his new book: 

"From a career perspective, there was no doubt in my mind that a move to the North East was a downward step," added the 39-year-old, who also played for Manchester United and Stoke City before retiring in 2013.

"As unpalatable as that opinion might be to Newcastle fans, that's more or less what I felt."

The 2001 Ballon d'Or winner had a strained relationship with then Magpies chairman Freddy Shepherd, which worsened when he was filmed saying he would "carry Michael Owen back to Anfield".

"Freddy was only doing what all the fans constantly do at almost every football club," said Owen. "They believe their club is 10% bigger and their team is 10% better than it actually is.

"This kind of blind delusion is especially true of Newcastle United - which, as I reach for the nearest tin hat, is only a big club in the sense that it has a lot of fans and a big stadium."

(sauce)

31 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

A Michael Owen book. **** me, must rush out and pre order that one.

I am sure Owen was part of the 2006 golden generation book club. He has done nothing in last 13 years to release a book 😂

Kinda makes you wonder how much different the premier league could be now if we had won it in 92 & newcastle won it in 96. Champions league was still restricted 16 teams & champions only back then so a bit of added exposure for other teams than utd could have made things a bit different

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

So Michael say what you think.  I don't think he will be going up to Newcastle any time soon.  Why bother its years ago. I think he should be thankful that they paid him millions to be injured for 4 years.

Only for him to pretend he was injured against us last day of the season so he would be free to join someone in the summer without risk of failing a medical.

He is a very weird guy, almost sociopath. He is dead behind the eyes with the personality of an ironing board.

Weird guy.

Very weird guy.

• Haha 2

post signing for Newcastle he had a questionable injury record and very questionable interest in the game, not a surprise that he will slag them off as it saves himself, I don't actually think what he says in that controversial though, he needs to go it to more details which seeing as freddy has since died I doubt he will, them being a step down from Liverpool and real madrid is hardly cock on the block stuff, shame he didn't talk about the size of the club and the fanbase during his time at Liverpool too...he had that one great year under houllier when they won all the cups but in reality owen has a pretty poor trophy cabinet for who he played for 

the strangest thing for me is I always think he did ok in spain, he was their 3rd best striker and didn't play much but when he did he did alright, they signed robinho and he was done

Â