Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

6 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

So I am clear here. You dont think we were a mess?

I think the club was a mess - the playing staff that Smith inherited were not. Hence the reason Bruce signings made up the bulk of the Wembley XI.

So there's my answer, are you going to dodge the questions put to your made up nonsense, or answer them?

And to be clear here, given you said people can "admit they're wrong for supporting him while he was here", are you suggesting you were not supporting your clubs manager?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Nyland was poor, agreed. Kalinic is a better keeper, but still wasn't good enough and cost a fortunate at that level too. SO that same stick can be used to beat Smith, surely?

I agree regarding Chester.

Yes you could. Although personally I think Smith had as much involvement with Kalinic as Bruce did with Moreira. But yeah you could make that complaint.

Difference is Smith won promotion. If Bruce had achieved it, I suspect people wouldn’t reference, say, the Hogan transfer quite as much.

Them’s the breaks.

2 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

His recruitment policy here would prove that to be wrong.

How, The only player we actually signed that was over 30 was Whelan, Pretty much all of the rest of the signings were 23-26, Elmo & thor were 29 but Bree was 19..

3 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Yes you could. Although personally I think Smith had as much involvement with Kalinic as Bruce did with Moreira. But yeah you could make that complaint.

Difference is Smith won promotion. If Bruce had achieved it, I suspect people wouldn’t reference, say, the Hogan transfer quite as much.

Them’s the breaks.

No, I agree 100%.

But the fact it, 99% of football managers will be sacked from their jobs. Not many leave on their own terms in reality. So does that mean we're going to have to make things up about Smith in a few years? No. There's something in being level headed, and not filled with hatred. I don't think Bruce is a good football manager, I think ultimately we were aiming for a promotion that didn't come with him. The quality of football was not good.

However, just because I believe those things, it doesn't mean I'll blindly ignore the fact his net spend was a transfer profit, that the signings he made and the people he bought to the club (Terry, included) are all bad, because what's the point? When you see people spout shit and make things up, they should be called on it.

It doesn't change the fact I like Smith as a person more. That I think his recruitment is better and that he's a better, more forward thinking manager.

• Like 3

When the fixtures came out and I was planning which game to see this season, Newcastle in November was my first choice. Definitely going to that one now with the extra cabbage that comes with it.

37 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

How, The only player we actually signed that was over 30 was Whelan, Pretty much all of the rest of the signings were 23-26, Elmo & thor were 29 but Bree was 19..

Samba, Terry, Snodgrass was just 30, Grabban

Bruce wasn't particularly terrible in the transfer market. He's signed some good players and some not so good ones, like most managers. Nobody has a perfect track record. He's been helped massively by having access to the largest pool of resources in the division. Nobody else could have signed Terry or Snodgrass or Bolasie for example.

So it might be better to look at his record at other clubs. He's been able to unearth some absolute gems like McGinn, Robertson, Maguire etc but on the whole, and this is also true for us, he tends to build bloated and aging squads that eventually need major overhauls. Sunderland was a perfect example of Bruce being backed at a decent sized club and just signing a mish mash of players, many of whom needed replacing after he left.

The fact that he couldn't perform optimally with his own signings and that Dean Smith managed to get a tune out of them that didn't seem possible until that point doesn't reflect too well on him at all.

My issue with the signings is that he built nothing. It was all short term thinking at a cost. Now that fraud of a dr takes the blame as well, but Bruce left a mess. And as i've said previously, smith has helped make him look better by saving the disaster we'd have been this summer. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Bruce wasn't particularly terrible in the transfer market. He's signed some good players and some not so good ones, like most managers. Nobody has a perfect track record. He's been helped massively by having access to the largest pool of resources in the division. Nobody else could have signed Terry or Snodgrass or Bolasie for example.

So it might be better to look at his record at other clubs. He's been able to unearth some absolute gems like McGinn, Robertson, Maguire etc but on the whole, and this is also true for us, he tends to build bloated and aging squads that eventually need major overhauls. Sunderland was a perfect example of Bruce being backed at a decent sized club and just signing a mish mash of players, many of whom needed replacing after he left.

The fact that he couldn't perform optimally with his own signings and that Dean Smith managed to get a tune out of them that didn't seem possible until that point doesn't reflect too well on him at all.

But it was public knowledge that the shite down the road offered Terry more than we did.

So how does that fit the narrative that no one else could have signed him when you don't have to look further than 3 miles away to be proved wrong?

2 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

I think the club was a mess - the playing staff that Smith inherited were not. Hence the reason Bruce signings made up the bulk of the Wembley XI.

So there's my answer, are you going to dodge the questions put to your made up nonsense, or answer them?

And to be clear here, given you said people can "admit they're wrong for supporting him while he was here", are you suggesting you were not supporting your clubs manager?

I was supporting the club, and by that, I was supporting the manager until such time that it was clear that he was not going to achieve his objectives. To be precise, that was after the pathetic displays in the play offs. 

would you like to kindly restate your question and I will answer it. I must have missed it amongst the gibberish in your posts.

Edited by TheStagMan

Each club that Bruce has been allowed to perform his dreaded managerial dance upon has been left in a complete mess, either financially or with a squad not fit for purpose, in some cases both, his two most recent teams have even had to sell their ground. Sunderland fans especially, to this day don't forgive him, and lay the blame with him for their current predicament because of the mess he made of their squad whilst there.

• Like 1

There cannot be one single NUFC fan who thinks this is a good idea. Bruce will never change. NUFC will be rimming the premier league until there isn't 3 teams worse than them. It's not even as though the old adage about being relegated and regrouping is true - if they go down they will stay there.  

13 minutes ago, useless said:

Each club that Bruce has been allowed to perform his dreaded managerial dance upon has been left in a complete mess, either financially or with a squad not fit for purpose, in some cases both, his two most recent teams have even had to sell their ground. Sunderland fans especially, to this day don't forgive him, and lay the blame with him for their current predicament because of the mess he made of their squad whilst there.

Hey, he left a legacy there.

52 FW Denmark Nicklas Bendtner 23 EU Arsenal England Loan Summer   Season-long loan  
3 DF England Wayne Bridge 31 EU Manchester City Loan Winter   Season-long loan  
25 DF Greece Sotirios Kyrgiakos 32 EU VfL Wolfsburg Germany Loan Winter   Season-long loan  
7 MF Sweden Sebastian Larsson 26 EU Birmingham City England Transfer Summer   Free  
20 GK Republic of Ireland Keiren Westwood 26 EU Coventry City Transfer Summer   Free  
  MF England Roarie Deacon 19 EU Arsenal Transfer Summer   Free  
15 MF Wales David Vaughan 28 EU Blackpool England Transfer Summer   Free  
23 MF Republic of Ireland James McClean 22 EU Derry City Northern Ireland Transfer Summer   £350,000  
10 FW England Connor Wickham 18 EU Ipswich Town Transfer Summer   £12,000,000  
8 MF England Craig Gardner 24 EU Birmingham City Transfer Summer   £6,000,000  
16 DF Republic of Ireland John O'Shea 30 EU Manchester United England Transfer Summer   £5,000,000  
27 MF Egypt Ahmed Elmohamady 23 Non-EU ENPPI Transfer Summer   £2,000,000  
17 FW South Korea Ji Dong-Won 20 Non-EU Chunnam Dragons Transfer Summer   £2,000,000  
5 DF England Wes Brown 31 EU Manchester United Transfer Summer   £1,000,000  

11 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

But it was public knowledge that the shite down the road offered Terry more than we did.

So how does that fit the narrative that no one else could have signed him when you don't have to look further than 3 miles away to be proved wrong?

Was it? I just remember Redknapp spouting off like a mafia boss about making him a "great offer"?

Even if it's true that one foolish club and their equally foolish manager made one player an offer that they couldn't even afford, it doesn't change the fact that our resources dwarfed over 90% of the rest of the league. Only Wolves could compete with us financially that season.

16 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Haha like he was ever going there.

We could over messi a shit load and he's never going to choose us. 

You're proving yourself wrong more than Bruce keeps throwing your support back in your face.

I dread to think what he would have done with the finances the club have given Smith this summer. 

The only thing that will save him being sacked by Xmas is that most of the fans anger will be directed at Ashley. 

It will be interesting to see how Ashley reacts should they spend a prolonged period in the bottom 3, hopefully he is blinded by Bruces promotion record and decides to keep him for the long haul. 

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

And the sell on value of Bruce's signings being?

Â