Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

I have weighed up all the points made over the past few pages, he may be a decent manager, he may not, he may be able to spot a player, he may not, he may be able to build a side, he may not.

Doesn't change the fact though...

...he is a monumental word removed.

Swivel on it punk.

CHD6nxVWgAAorc0.jpg

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Can see Newcastle going down, he will buy over the hill players that have no resale value, tactically inept, I know a few Newcastle fans they really don’t want him

I don't think who he buys will be the problem, neither will the style of football that he plays

the problem will be the players will sense that the crowd has gone, they don't want the owner, they don't want the manager, their performance will drop and they will get away with it, it'll creep in at the start then get progressively worse, before they know it they will be like us, sunderland, west brom, cruising towards relegation with fingers of blame pointing everywhere, no one really caring

footballers are lazy **** who will use any chance they get to drop off in effort, they wont have a better opportunity than what Newcastle are lining up

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

John McGinn, El Ghazi, Conor Hourihane, Glen Whelan, Tammy Abraham, Elmo, Axel Tuanzebe.  You're right how terrible Bruce's recruitment was wish he hadn't lumbered us with McGinn.

Tbh I don't care about Bruce anymore as he's gone i just find it ridiculous how people talk about him. Honestly if you were an outsider reading some of these comments you'd think he had us scrapping for survival in the championship all the time he was here.  I also find the people mocking him for saying he was never accepted here are usually the people that never accepted him.

We are in the Premier League with Smith as manager surely it's time people move on from Bruce and stop going over the same old tired ground. 

For someone who doesnt care about Bruce you sure spend a lot of time defending him.

So let me get this right... you are still saying that Bruce did a great job of recruitment, despite after two seasons (sorry, sorry, lets be fair 1 3/4 seasons), four transfer windows, funding that most championship clubs can only dream of, we started last season with one CB and a team full of loans and requiring a full rebuild regardless of what happened (promotion or otherwise). You think that is the mark of decent recruitment.????

Brentford has decent recruitment, Bruce is shit at it.

Apart from McGinn, McGinn is great and he gets credit for that. As for the others, they played well under Smith, not under Bruce. Part of recruiting well means buying players that you can get a tune out of. If you cant get a tune out of them then you haven't bought well.

Honestly, some people just cannot admit they were wrong supporting him.

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

Aren't we all supposed to be "laughing at Newcastle", guys?.....

Yes, but laughing at Newcastle seems to have upset some Bruce supporters who dont have a sense of humour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I've barely commented on Bruce in months but will speak up when the usual BS brigade come around for the weekly insults and digs.

Why?

Why do you feel the need to defend him?

And why have you barely posted for months if the BS brigade are coming around weekly? 

35 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Can see Newcastle going down, he will buy over the hill players that have no resale value, tactically inept,

Apparently that translates to "is good in the transfer market"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stuartc445 said:

John McGinn, El Ghazi, Conor Hourihane, Glen Whelan, Tammy Abraham, Elmo, Axel Tuanzebe.  You're right how terrible Bruce's recruitment was wish he hadn't lumbered us with McGinn.

Tbh I don't care about Bruce anymore as he's gone i just find it ridiculous how people talk about him. Honestly if you were an outsider reading some of these comments you'd think he had us scrapping for survival in the championship all the time he was here.  I also find the people mocking him for saying he was never accepted here are usually the people that never accepted him.

We are in the Premier League with Smith as manager surely it's time people move on from Bruce and stop going over the same old tired ground. 

Well his first year we finished 13th and in his 3rd year he left us in 12th. The 2nd year was obviously good but lets not pretend he did consistently good here.

The fact he left such a mess makes defending his recruitment laughable. It was expensive short term thinking and left us in a mess. I'd imagine most managers could have done the same given the resources provided. 

24 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

For someone who doesnt care about Bruce you sure spend a lot of time defending him.

So let me get this right... you are still saying that Bruce did a great job of recruitment, despite after two seasons (sorry, sorry, lets be fair 1 3/4 seasons), four transfer windows, funding that most championship clubs can only dream of, we started last season with one CB and a team full of loans and requiring a full rebuild regardless of what happened (promotion or otherwise). You think that is the mark of decent recruitment.????

Brentford has decent recruitment, Bruce is shit at it.

Apart from McGinn, McGinn is great and he gets credit for that. As for the others, they played well under Smith, not under Bruce. Part of recruiting well means buying players that you can get a tune out of. If you cant get a tune out of them then you haven't bought well.

Honestly, some people just cannot admit they were wrong supporting him.

Let's put in black and white shall we before Bruce came in we had won what something like 7 in around 52 games, spent a fortune when we got relegated (more than Bruce spent in the time he was here but you don't mention that i wonder why). He managed to stabilise the slide we was on then in the 2nd season got to the play off final which despite Brentford's awesome God like recruitment they have never managed. That doesn't match the picture you paint which seems to be one of relegation scraps.

Yes this season he went insane and Smith managed to turn it around but he hardly came into the same situation as Bruce did it was only 11 games before Smith came in we were consistently winning unlike 6 or so years prior to Bruce's arrival.

That is the last i will say on the matter as i think it's about time we all moved on.

Edited by Stuartc445

13 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Apparently that translates to "is good in the transfer market"

Signed Harry Maguire & Andy Robertson for a combined 5 million quid at hull when he was last there ;)

Think they have rather a lot of resale value....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

Let's put in black and white shall we before Bruce came in we had won what something like 7 in around 52 games, spent a fortune when we got relegated (more than Bruce spent in the time he was here but you don't mention that i wonder why). He managed to stabilise the slide we was on then in the 2nd season got to the play off final which despite Brentford's awesome God like recruitment they have never managed. That doesn't match the picture you paint which seems to be one of relegation scraps.

Yes this season he went insane and Smith managed to turn it around but he hardly came into the same situation as Bruce did it was only 11 games before Smith came on we were consistently winning unlike 6 or so years prior to Bruce's arrival.

That is the last i will say on the matter as i think it's about time we all moved on.

Where did I mention relegation scraps?

Where did I say that RDMs recruitment was any better? I said that Bruce's recruitment was poor. You and some others decided to argue that it wasn't.

Now you are just making stuff up.

There is also a good case argue that Smith inherited a heck of a mess, just like Bruce did. 

By the way, Brentfords recruitment IS good. They have not been promoted because their retention if players is poor. However that is the model they have chosen and they are very good at it.

Bruces model is to spend his way out of trouble and buy names to get you promoted, and he is not very good at it.

The defense of him at this point is truely laughable.

2 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Signed Harry Maguire & Andy Robertson for a combined 5 million quid at hull when he was last there ;)

Think they have rather a lot of resale value....

So we are up to three decent signings in his whole career. Any more? 😉

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Where did I mention relegation scraps?

Where did I say that RDMs recruitment was any better? I said that Bruce's recruitment was poor. You and some others decided to argue that it wasn't.

Now you are just making stuff up.

There is also a good case argue that Smith inherited a heck of a mess, just like Bruce did. 

By the way, Brentfords recruitment IS good. They have not been promoted because their retention if players is poor. However that is the model they have chosen and they are very good at it.

Bruces model is to spend his way out of trouble and buy names to get you promoted, and he is not very good at it.

The defense of him at this point is truely laughable.

Could you give me a list of the players we were forced to regularly play, who were in no way good enough, to label it a "mess".

What was Steve Bruce's net spend while he was at Villa, seeing as he has to "spend his way out of trouble"?

I'm not defending him. I supported him as AVFC manager, but didn't think he was good enough. But regardless of my personal views, why should I just read made up comments about him?

Not entirely sure why Brentford keep getting mentioned, who cares, they're nothing to do with us?

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

So we are up to three decent signings in his whole career. Any more?

Yes plenty, especially considering some of the clubs he was managing. It is a lot easier to end up with superstar players when you are at a top club rather than Wigan/Hull but even then Every manager has a bunch of young players that turn out to be brilliant, a bunch that turn out to be shit and end up driving taxis, combined with a few older players that turn out to be the perfect fit at the time and a few that end up just there for a retirement package.

We were probably insane to sign Paul McGrath at the time and look how that worked out

The myth that all he does is sign old players with no resale value is complete shit

At the moment we are all excited about all the young players we have signed with great potential. Some of them will more than likely end up being crap and not working out at all, especially in this league where the top teams will tear you to pieces if you have any weaknesses

Edited by LakotaDakota

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

Could you give me a list of the players we were forced to regularly play, who were in no way good enough, to label it a "mess".

Nyland when Steer could have got a shot?

A one-legged James Chester? (granted he was actually OK, but it sounds like having to play him in this period will ultimately cut his career short)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Nyland when Steer could have got a shot?

A one-legged James Chester? (granted he was actually OK, but it sounds like having to play him in this period will ultimately cut his career short)

Nyland was poor, agreed. Kalinic is a better keeper, but still wasn't good enough and cost a fortunate at that level too. SO that same stick can be used to beat Smith, surely?

I agree regarding Chester.

6 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

What was Steve Bruce's net spend while he was at Villa, seeing as he has to "spend his way out of trouble"?

I'm not defending him. I supported him as AVFC manager, but didn't think he was good enough. But regardless of my personal views, why should I just read made up comments about him?

Not entirely sure why Brentford keep getting mentioned, who cares, they're nothing to do with us?

So I am clear here. You dont think we were a mess?

Just now, kurtsimonw said:

Nyland was poor, agreed. Kalinic is a better keeper, but still wasn't good enough and cost a fortunate at that level too. SO that same stick can be used to beat Smith, surely?

I agree regarding Chester.

To be honest I don't attribute blame to either keeper being sub-standard to the respective managers.

The mistake was sending Steer out on loan, but trying to be balanced I guess he'd hardly got a sniff before from any other managers.

6 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Yes plenty, especially considering some of the clubs he was managing. It is a lot easier to end up with superstar players when you are at a top club rather than Wigan/Hull but even then Every manager has a bunch of young players that turn out to be brilliant, a bunch that turn out to be shit and end up driving taxis, combined with a few older players that turn out to be the perfect fit at the time and a few that end up just there for a retirement package.

We were probably insane to sign Paul McGrath at the time and look how that worked out

The myth that all he does is sign old players with no resale value is complete shit

His recruitment policy here would prove that to be wrong.

Edit: with the exception of McGinn.

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 1

Â